Home Sports Talk

ARGH!!! Cubs get shut out at home!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the wheels starting to come off???

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, they just ran into the best pitcher in baseball.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

They will employ the use of snowboards to ride the avalanche of Dodgers offense.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Dodgers are a good Team. I suppose I sound like a broken record, but you can't base what happens in the playoffs on what took place during the regular season. that mainly applies to pitchers which, by design, ends up mainly applying to the hitters!!!

the Cubs should be grateful they don't have to face CK in every game.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm old school. But the World Series Champions was much better decided when there weren't any Divisions.

The top National League team played the top Americian League team for the WS. That means this year it should have been the Cubs vs Texas. So this year is already watered down.

I know it's all about money and not the TRUE Champion. Teams can back in and win it all, bit that doesn't make it right.

**That means this year it should have been the Cubs vs Texas. **

no, that's not what it means at all. you're trying to use a format from the 60's based on a record from the 2010's. I have a pretty good feeling that if everyone played each other in the format from the AL/NL old school system that things would be different this year. that would probably mean that your Team, the Chicago Cubs, and my Team, the Cleveland Indians, would be precluded from facing each other as might happen this year.

what this new format does is give Teams besides the New York Yankees and a few others the opportunity to play for a Championship.

do you think it's an accident that the NYY aren't in it every year??

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both sides had great pitching last night... Cubs had only 2 hits and the Dodgers had 3 hits... that one extra hit is what made the difference of course.

Just one game in a 7 game series...

GO CUBBIES!!!

:+1:

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I about fell over when I watched Kershaw not give up a run in a playoff game. I really thought the cubs would punish him

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

LOL. WS better decided when there were no Divisions. It was better when there were no teams in Texas. ;)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a perfect world there would be two divisions in each league. The division winners would play each other in a best of seven to advance to the WS. Four teams period.

With TV contracts being what it is today it will never happen. Enjoy your watered down baseball like beer with 99 calories. It is still technically beer it just tastes crappy.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kershaws' postseason reputation is improving by leaps and bounds this year, so far.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@keets said:
    **That means this year it should have been the Cubs vs Texas. **

no, that's not what it means at all. you're trying to use a format from the 60's based on a record from the 2010's. I have a pretty good feeling that if everyone played each other in the format from the AL/NL old school system that things would be different this year. that would probably mean that your Team, the Chicago Cubs, and my Team, the Cleveland Indians, would be precluded from facing each other as might happen this year.

what this new format does is give Teams besides the New York Yankees and a few others the opportunity to play for a Championship.

do you think it's an accident that the NYY aren't in it every year??

I know that it will never go back to the old way because of money, but I prefer the whole season to get to the WS than a 1 game wild card and then a series between 2 teams that should not even be there.

And who knows in the old format it might have been your Indians on top of the AL this year! (wink)

• Wait, did someone just suggest reverting to a system from the 1960s? All because of one loss?

@SirLurksALot said:
    Wait, did someone just suggest reverting to a system from the 1960s? All because of one loss?

No No...........just bringing up the fact that it was a much better system.

• Oh ok, my bad. I know no other system than what it is now (ALDS then ALCS), so I'm fond of the slug-it-out model

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Kershaws' postseason reputation is improving by leaps and bounds this year, so far.

He did have a good start last night, but last round his era was 5.84 and whip was 1.459. In the playoffs he is still very shaky. You never know what you will get

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

In a perfect world there would be two divisions in each league. The division winners would play each other in a best of seven to advance to the WS. Four teams period.

the only way something like that would be reasonable would be with less Teams, would you want that???

back in the 60's there were eight Teams in each League and they played each other 22 times, plenty of head-to-head competition to figure out who's best. currently, the Teams would play each other about 10-11 times with your format. to my way of thinking that isn't enough to figure out who's really the best.

the way it is, every one plays the Teams in their Division 19 times, the other Teams in the League about 6-7 times and then some interesting inter-League play. perhaps the compromise is to have only two Divisions in each League and a playoff with those two winners.

Eliminate inter league play which is a farce to begin with. Problem solved. Do I have to think of everything >:)

No interlaegue play would actually put some of the mystique back in baseball when in comes to the WS.

You would play your division mates at a 2-1 (or so ) ratio to the opposite division. You would play 14 or 16 games against each team within the division. Plenty enough. 19 is dumb to begin with. As stated earlier I'm advocating the two division winners playing each other to see who goes to the WS. 4 teams total in the playoffs instead of the 10 we have now. The play in game is a total false. Insulting actually.

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2016 6:41PM

The system they have now is the best. A winner takes all wild card game for each league. We saw the drama with two down to the wire games this year. Then 8 teams duke it out through 3 rounds. Again more drama this year. The playoffs are usually about who is pitching the best so once you are in the post season, what one did during the regular season does not matter. Adds to the drama. What a boring league if only two teams played in the playoffs, with the current set up we get 10 teams and each round is different. Thank goodness this is not the 60s any more.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
    Yah and play into November in 40-50 degree weather of your lucky some nights and change the dynamic of the games. Make the regular season mean more instead Anyways, they will probably expand playoff teams rather then retract at this time. The cat is already out of the bag along with a lot of the lustre. JMHO.

m

Too many teams in the playoffs waters down the Championship. The wild card is stupid!

They play all year to see which 20 teams has to stay home! At least in the 60's we had true Champions!

When men were men B)

Mark, the best thing you have said is about playing into November. so far in Cleveland the weather was incredible for the games played here, couldn't ask for anything better in October.

As you know that could change in a New York minute. I've been in the stands of Detroit and Yankee stadium as miserable as the players during late Oct early November. It's not baseball at that point. You shouldn't have to wear ski gear to baseball games to stay warm as a player or a fan. The Boys of Summer would be rolling in their graves

Mark
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Are the wheels starting to come off???

I too miss the days when there were only 8 teams in each of the two baseball leagues. Throughout my youth, our entire family rooted for the Cubs and we attended many games at Wrigley Field, enjoying the skills of players like Ernie Banks (and his double-play partners Gene Baker at second and Dee Fondy on first), home run hitter Hank Sauer, etc. They had no lights at Wrigley Field in those days, hence no night games, and if I remember correctly, there were no so-called "closer" pitchers either - just pitchers, who often pitched an entire game. The Cubs' players were talented and tough and we watched them play against notables like Hank Aaron, "say-hey" Willy Mays, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Jackie Robinson, etc. but they have unfortunately always remained "lovable losers "

I stopped following baseball regularly once I left home but have been watching the Cubs again occasionally for the last 2 years as well as the Dodgers here in Ca. So I'm no expert but it looks to me like they have the team spirit, solid management, and both offensive and defensive talent levels to take them all the way this year. What may stop them though is their limited post-season experience and maturity. Joe Maddon certainly gives them a leg up on the challenge though, so I wouldn't let one home game loss let me write them off. Of course assuming there is a game 6, having to face Clayton Kershaw again could be an insurmountable stumbling block. We will see. :/

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim

I will only say that what we remember from our youth is a fair comparison to what we see today. there have been too many rule changes that affect how the game is now played. speaking only about the pitching, the strike zone has been shrunk to the hitters advantage and the mound is somewhere between 6-8 inches lower, differences which are part and parcel for why the starters are expected to only pitch into the 7th to be seen as dominant.

that change has meant that somewhere between 2-4 extra pitchers are needed at the expense of position players.

I am old school myself, but realize that change is inevitable, I better get used to it and do the best I can in the New World. if we petition for a different League alignment and playoff format we would also logically want to roll back some of the rule changes. I wouldn't want that.

I think it comes down to a simple thing --- if your Team is successful whatever else happens doesn't really matter. right now, my Team is on the cusp of their first WS appearance in 19 years. not much needs to be changed from where I sit!!!