Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions of this Gothic Florin...

I am considering buying this one. I wanted unbiased opinions as to eye appeal and value.
And guess the grade too. :)

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

And yes, it has some crust on the obverse... Not sure how I feel about it.
    (I have it on approval)

• Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    I like that portrait .
    The eye appeal of the 2 shillings believe is really nice , it's colorful toned and fields have only few marks .
    Reverse I notice some circulate marks at the faces of the lions (3 of 6) .
    Another thing is mint lustrous , I can't recognize it from the image ......at hand u see better that .
    MS62 ?
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the design. Only distraction is the black streak across cheek across neck on obverse.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I second the black streak - almost looks like a rubber band mark. Reverse looks good, not tremendous luster though. Somewhat pleasing, MS62 is the fair grade.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I would hold off for a different coin, but then again, I don't know how much it costs. If the price is right, OK. I, myself, prefer the later Florins with the Gothic style writing.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin and want a Gothic Florin myself, but I would pass. I find the black streak distracting, a lot! It's all I see.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

I agree with some of the above comments about the discolored area on the Queen's neck. Krause has it at 675 in Unc., so unless I could get it for well below catalog I would hold out for a better example.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a beautiful design, but the black marks on the obverse are distracting. I would hold-off until a nicer example. Even if it's an AU one.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Nice patina and relatively well struck (reverse often has less detail than that in the lions), but I agree with the others. I would wait for an example without the distracting mark.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that mark 'conservable'? I don't like messing with nature, but if that's something that could be removed without ruining the surfaces it might be worth it if the price were right. Love the design!

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2016 7:33PM

@bronzemat said:
    Pretty coin and want a Gothic Florin myself, but I would pass. I find the black streak distracting, a lot! It's all I see.

+1.

The caveat being unless it was very inexpensive for the grade.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

Thanks everybody for the opinions! :)
    Here's the grade revealed and an alternative shot:

• Options

It's got a great strike and is slightly prooflike. The black streak doesn't bother me all that bad, sure I'd rather have one without, but other than that, I really like this coin! It's being offered for $400.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like it for the price, that all that counts.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    If you like it for the price, that all that counts.

+1.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, that price seems a bit on the steep side. Price-dependent, what would I think fair (not that you asked): 300-325 USD

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I appreciate that. I was thinking the $300's, too, but I'm not totally opposed to $400. Still trying to decide.
    I am, however, liking this particular coin more and more. :)

• Options

Today I pulled the trigger. I could not bring myself to return her. :blush:

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

The price is right. An MS-62+ brought $376 in the Long Beach sale in Sept. An MS-63 brought close to $500.00 in the Goldberg's June sale.

All you had to do is decide if you liked it (and apparently you did!) :smile:

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

@CIVITAS said:
    The price is right. An MS-62+ brought $376 in the Long Beach sale in Sept. An MS-63 brought close to $500.00 in the Goldberg's June sale.

All you had to do is decide if you liked it (and apparently you did!) :smile:

I appreciate the auction info. I hadn't checked that, but $400 seemed about right.
    I do like it! Thanks for the responses everybody! :)

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you pulled the trigger - gonna assume it looks even better in hand!

Congrats!

• Options

It does! :)
    Thanks.