Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1969 Topps Graig Nettles #99

What's the story on this card for those who know this card or the 69 Topps set well?

I see there are separate black loop/no loop variations, but they both appear to have near equal value. For that matter I don't really understand why a Graig Nettles rookie would have such high value in the first place.

Anybody have any insight to offer?
-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

a few months back I bought a collection of cards that had 5 or so of these in it and one was perfectly mint. I was putting the cards in penny sleeves and in a box and was not paying attention and the box tipped over and the cards started to pour out and off the side of my bed. When i picked the cards that fell I see the nettles card in the penny sleeve with a dinged corner now.

That card survived 40+ years of perfection only to be mishandled and abused by me. lol

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

The no black loop is about 3X scarcer and DOES get more $.

Nettles was just under a HOF caliber player. Super popular in NY.
    He was one of the very best defensive 3rd baseman all time and was a decent hitter
    He could and did win games with his glove alone.

back when 27 HRs could win the AL HR title he was considered a deep threat to some extent

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

If someone could chime in on the specifics of thei card I would appreciate it.
    Was the NBL a earlier card?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

My guess it was a corrected error caught after a substantial number of the errors were produced. Adding all the catalog variations brings a master set to almost 700 cards, and there are some non catalog oddities as well

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al