Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Did you ever want to see the difference between deep and shallow scales on a Japanese coin?

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 15, 2016 7:34PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

If so, you are in luck. These are Meiji 3/1870 10 sen coins, both uncirculated.

The shallow scales one is pretty nice, MS-65 on the slab (the rest of the coin looks nice, you wouldn't know it from this die). The deep scale is an MS-62, with some less than attractive toning--a rough example but not an easy coin to come across.

Mostly I'm playing around with the combination of a new camera set up and a forum that seems to be preserving resolution far better than photobucket.

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Nice pix providing a very clear comparison. Looks like you're mastering the new camera.

Do you know if one is from earlier dies or is there another explanation for the difference?

What fun! :D

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

My understanding is that the 'shallow' was the initial style, but was considered unsatisfactory so new dies were made with (various translations) deep/large/clear scales which then carried through to the next style.

1870-1871 had the dragon obverse/rising sun reverse for all the silver--5, 10, 20, 50 sen and 1 yen. The 5 sen ended up with an additional design in 1871 which replaced the dragon with a denomination.

Minting of these was not done in 1872, and when resumed the rising sun motif was dropped in favor of a denomination design. At this point all the dragons had a more distinct scale pattern.

There's a book I need to read that may have more detail.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

To say that I truly understood the differences, would be an outright lie. But thanks for the effort Cathy. When the time comes for me to buy one or both, make sure that you'll be the first person I'll ask!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2016 1:33PM

@Stork said:
    My understanding is that the 'shallow' was the initial style, but was considered unsatisfactory so new dies were made with (various translations) deep/large/clear scales which then carried through to the next style.

1870-1871 had the dragon obverse/rising sun reverse for all the silver--5, 10, 20, 50 sen and 1 yen. The 5 sen ended up with an additional design in 1871 which replaced the dragon with a denomination.

Minting of these was not done in 1872, and when resumed the rising sun motif was dropped in favor of a denomination design. At this point all the dragons had a more distinct scale pattern.

There's a book I need to read that may have more detail.

Interesting and makes sense. It's always fun, for me at least, to learn why things are the way they are. Thanks for the followup/explanation. :D

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Glad to see your new camera gear put to great use! Thanks for the historical info as well. Quite interesting.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2016 1:52PM

Here is a little different take on it, with the 20 sen and a little larger segment of the coins:

edited to add: both coins are graded the same, by the same grading company.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

See the INA pattern in gold posted by Stork last week or so - an absolutely gorgeous version of Wyon's St George and the Dragon.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Hey 7Jag...next time I'm on my laptop I'll add that to the StG. Love that one!

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Nicely illustrated.

I still don't understand why the SCWC can't put an image of this in the book.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.