Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

3 New auction wins: Domitian, Tiberius and Julius Caesar

OrfewOrfew Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited October 14, 2016 10:42PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here they are. I was very happy to get these. I have always wanted an elephant denarius of Julius Caesar. I know they are common but they are still interesting. It also does not hurt that the coin has a nice provenance. The Domitian has a reverse with Romulus and Remus. This made the coin attractive to me. The Tiberius is the third example of a quadriga reverse denarius that I have acquired and it is in the best condition of the 3.

Domitian Caesar, 69-81 Denarius circa 77-78, AR (18.95mm., 2.85g).
Obv: Laureate head r.
Rev. She-wolf standing l., suckling the twins Romulus and Remus; in exergue, boat.
RIC Vespasian 961. C 51.
Ex: Naville Numismatics Auction #25 Lot# 430 September 25, 2016

Tiberius, 14-37 Denarius Lugdunum circa 15-16, AR (18.55 mm., 3.85 g).
Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI - AVG F AVGVSTVS Laureate head r.
Rev: TR POT XVII IMP VII Tiberius holding branch and eagle-tipped scepter in triumphal quadriga r.
RIC 4. C 48.
Ex: Naville Numismatics Auction #25 Lot #407 September 25, 2016

Iulius Caesar. Denarius mint moving with Caesar 49-48., AR (18.66 mm., 3.85g).
Obv: Pontifical emblems: culullus, aspergillum, axe and apex.
Rev: Elephant r., trampling dragon; in exergue, CAESAR.
Babelon Julia 9. C 9. Sydenham 1006. Sear Imperators 9. RBW 1557. Crawford 443/1.
Ex: E.E. Clain Stefanelli,
Ex: Naville Numismatics Auction #25 Lot 378 September 25, 2016.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. I like the color on the Domitian and Tiberius. It's kind of interesting to see a Tiberius that isn't a "Tribute Penny", too, though I felt duty bound to have the Tribute Penny in my old 12C set. Tiberius looks rather cruel in that portrait, but considering his historical reputation and that of his successor, I guess there might be something to that. (One can sort of see a resemblance between this Tiberius portrait and those of Caligula. Or at least I can.)

The J.C. elephant, well... those are just awesome. I've never had one. Almost was tempted into one at a show one time, and that was a week or two before I actually started collecting Roman coins! When I did, I stuck with portrait types, but now that I'm no longer sticking to an "emperor/empress" set, I might have to get one of those one day.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Tiberius with the Republican-style reverse.

The others are cool too

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Very nice selection of coins you snagged there Orfew. I especially like the wolf and twins type. Congrats on a great day!

:D

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

@Orfew said:
    Here they are. I was very happy to get these. I have always wanted an elephant denarius of Julius Caesar. I know they are common but they are still interesting. It also does not hurt that the coin has a nice provenance. The Domitian has a reverse with Romulus and Remus. This made the coin attractive to me. The Tiberius is the third example of a quadriga reverse denarius that I have acquired and it is in the best condition of the 3.

While that Caesar is easily found, I wouldn't call it common, myself. The "Tribute Penny" is more abundant, and in my opinion overpriced, thanks to high demand. Your new Tiberius is a sure winner, because a reverse like that says "buy me."

I have some notes on that Caesar type that may be of interest.

An extra-legal issue of coinage, not authorized by the Senate, struck by Caesar's traveling military mint, to pay his soldiers after the famous crossing of the Rubicon, also not authorized by the Senate. Circulation of the coinage was facilitated more by the crisis precipitated by Caesar's advance upon Rome than by his popularity, and made necessary because the Pompeians abandoned the city and its mint as his Legions approached. Since the coinage was supported by nothing more than his name (and of course his military power) it is likely that the design was approved by Caesar personally. The powerful elephant trampling the snake of evil and the use of Caesar's Pontifical emblems were deliberately chosen, the former as propaganda, the latter for legitimacy.

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    OrfewOrfew Posts: 42 ✭✭

Thanks to all for the kind words.