Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Wow, Major Belize Find: 1984 Specimen Set From Your Favorite Franklin Mint

I was delighted to have with some crazy good luck purchased a 1984 Belize Specimen Set that was only rumored to exist on ebay this last week. It was reported in Krause and never confirmed to my knowledge and I have never seen one in THIRTY years! Anyway, fun to find such goodies!! Beautiful designs that shame the modern US Mint efforts.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is worthless without pics... :smiley:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree...photos please, I'm curious! Did the seller know what s/he was selling?

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, have to email them - its not worthless as this set has got to be extremely rare. I do not know of ANY other Franklin Mint sets of 1984, even for other countries. The specimen sets were PL uncs of the same design as the proofs and probably loss leaders for the mint - this in an era when they were shutting down operations.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Well, have to email them - its not worthless as this set has got to be extremely rare. I do not know of ANY other Franklin Mint sets of 1984, even for other countries. The specimen sets were PL uncs of the same design as the proofs and probably loss leaders for the mint - this in an era when they were shutting down operations.

I think he meant worthless as in we want to see pictures :). Not that the set was worthless...just we want pictures. :):)

• Options
    Here goes I phone photos!
  • Options

I'm curious, did you 'drag and drop' the jpg or did you 'choose file'? I only ask because yours posted as thumbnails (which is fine and easy to pull up) vs. an embedded photo that shows right away. I've been using the 'choose file' method and wouldn't know how to do the thumbnail...and my files have been bigger.

Pretty set by the way! And, if the seller didn't know what it was, no excuse as it's clearly labeled! How cool to find something only rumored to exist!

• Options

I did the file thing...
    Yes, I love this kind of thing and only occasionally find such. I did also once get one of the mule 1982 Belize $10 coins. The coins look better in silver proof which maybe I'll post now that I found it is not hard to do.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yuge find... Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Here's the 1984 Belize silver proof set.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations 7jaguars, that is just totally enormously cool!

Kind Regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have some boxed Belize silver sets from 1980's but not sure if they are PL.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

The proof sets are of course more common and come in Sterling silver and "circulation metal" composition. Date is all important as the 1981-84 are best, and the rarest of these is the 1984 "circulation metal" set. The specimen sets are struck as putative currency examples, although in my experience it does not appear that any FM coins went into circulation after 1978.
    This set is special because they had pretty much thrown in the towel and there was no need for any Loss Leader sets. It had to have been done for record keeping purposes only because it was not even advertised in the 1984-5 period. The 1981-83 specimen sets are also quite scarce.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Belize specimen set for 1984 must be very rare, here is the only place I have ever seen one, great find! I got only the proof and the silver proof sets till now.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

Yes, these are of extreme rarity. This year I had an offer on it that was obscene (but not obscene enough!!), but declined as I am a collector.

• Options

Well, at least now I know those exist! I proceed the same, do not sell, only if I already have a duplicate or a better grade. No idea how obscene must be a price to make me (or you) sell from the main collection, especially such a rare set.

• Options

Don't laugh, but it would have to be more than 5k, 10 might do it.

• Options

Ok, why not, but I still need to win the lottery or something, thank you, good to know.

• Options

I really don’t collect these don’t know what to do ?

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

Sell them so you can make some extra money so you're not a bridesmaid all the time?

• Options

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

Sell them so you can make some extra money so you're not a bridesmaid all the time?

Makes sense :)

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

Makes sense :)

It has been extremely cathartic to unload my unneeded coins into this market. And I am glad they are finding loving homes!

• Options

Yes, well, these are nice sets. What all do you have besides this set?
    Let us know.