Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Michael Jordan PSA 10 Plummets

4sharpcorners has one listed for under $19k. Less than half of what some have sold for. Not good for those buyers but if they have $40-$50k to spend on a card it probably doesn't matter to them. :) BBCE has 1964 Donruss Addams Family box for $20k. I don't care how rare it is who in their right mind would pay that? Think what you could do with $20k in lieu of the AF box.

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    It's creepy and its spooky
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I prefer to think of it as settling. Like dust after an explosion.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@travis t said:
    I prefer to think of it as settling. Like dust after an explosion.

This is how I see it also. A lot of the other HOFer's that exploded are doing the same thing.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

The 4SC one sold rather quickly. I do think that was a good buy.

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

there are quite a few that have sold in the $20-23k range - I expect this card will remain pretty active in that price range. It's not headed back to $10-12k anytime soon and probably not ever.

• Options
    or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I think 4SC needed some quick money. They offered a lot of high end cards at rather attractive prices.

Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
  • Options

That 4SC one was gone within 5 minutes of the email. Time will tell if it was a good buy.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    edited October 14, 2016 8:12PM
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

4SC seems to be cutting prices on a number of cards recently that I have been looking at.

aconte

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the fester better than that mj rookie
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

@bounce said:
    there are quite a few that have sold in the $20-23k range - I expect this card will remain pretty active in that price range. It's not headed back to $10-12k anytime soon and probably not ever.

The market was grossly manipulated. The card has come down around 30%. If I was guessing, which is all we are doing, I would say you can buy this card for 15,000 in the next 18 months.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

A 10 sold for under $20k on 10/20 and one under $20k tonight. Both were average 10s at best, but I hope we see $17.5k soon. That is my target.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like a lot of cards have come down in that 86 set.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Lower prices spreading like confetti at a Cubs parade.

• Options

SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

It could be worse. Some dudes were paying about 10k for the 132 Psa 10 checklist a few months back lol. Losers.

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Yep, I made several small purchases from 4SC over the last two months. I have another 22 cards I'm gonna pull the trigger on. There stock keeps going up, so I think it's just a matter of moving product. When I grab those 22 PSA's, I can certainly say that there will be collateral buying to boost that final count.

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

What I do know is this is one of the last true sets put out by a manufacturer that people will collect and it is an all time classic. Yes totally over inflated in the summer of madness especially in PSA 10. It will however be talked about 50 years from now and will always be up and down like orange futures

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Trading places! Great movie

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:
    Love the fester better than that mj rookie

Indeed

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2016 7:07PM

So, I spent the weekend at the Chicago Fanatics show. I'm going to assume this phenomenon had a lot to do with how the price of the MJ has soared over the past year or so. To me, the MJ rookie is the most iconic card in all of the hobby and one I hope to own again someday. As a 39 year old who never saw the likes of Mantle, Mays, Chamberlain, Namath, Jim Brown, Unitas and others play... the two hobby staples of my lifetime are the MJ rookie and the Gretzky rookie. I'll take the MJ rookie any day of the week. That's just me personally... I know there are more iconic and valuable cards... just not more iconic to me!

Now, for the show. Boy, could I have had my pick of the litter adding an MJ rookie to my collection. There was hardly a table that sold modern and/or graded that didn't have an MJ rookie on it... many, many, many tables with multiple copies both raw and of various grades. The sad part... and I didn't actually count... but there may have been more there for sale on Sunday than what I saw on Friday. In Chicago! I'm sure some probably sold, but for the most part... they didn't.

I've been to a handful of National shows. I go to most Fanatics shows in Chicago... and the Sun Times shows before them. This was by far the most MJ rookies I've ever seen at a single show in my life... and for the most part, they weren't selling. Could have been price. Could have been condition. Could have been a mixture of both... but the fact remains, they weren't selling. Scarier, they weren't selling in Chicago. Not crazy, but mildly surprising to say the least.

As time goes on, the ceiling we saw on high grade MJ's will probably go higher at times... but right now, that floor were watching for... me thinks it still has a long way to go.

I don't remember who the person was. I'm not sure I even know the person... but I saw someone on these forums looking to sell their PSA 8 (i believe that's what it was) for $1400 paypal gift. I remember a time not too long ago when you could pick up PSA 9's for $1400-1500. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think such a time is coming again... or at the very least, a time coming again where a PSA 9 will be able to be had for under $2K.

There are just too many out there... and that's not a bad thing!!!

• Options

@epatmythes said:
    So, I spent the weekend at the Chicago Fanatics show. I'm going to assume this phenomenon had a lot to do with how the price of the MJ has soared over the past year or so. To me, the MJ rookie is the most iconic card in all of the hobby and one I hope to own again someday. As a 39 year old who never saw the likes of Mantle, Mays, Chamberlain, Namath, Jim Brown, Unitas and others play... the two hobby staples of my lifetime are the MJ rookie and the Gretzky rookie. I'll take the MJ rookie any day of the week. That's just me personally... I know there are more iconic and valuable cards... just not more iconic to me!

Now, for the show. Boy, could I have had my pick of the litter adding an MJ rookie to my collection. There was hardly a table that sold modern and/or graded that didn't have an MJ rookie on it... many, many, many tables with multiple copies both raw and of various grades. The sad part... and I didn't actually count... but there may have been more there for sale on Sunday than what I saw on Friday. In Chicago! I'm sure some probably sold, but for the most part... they didn't.

I've been to a handful of National shows. I go to most Fanatics shows in Chicago... and the Sun Times shows before them. This was by far the most MJ rookies I've ever seen at a single show in my life... and for the most part, they weren't selling. Could have been price. Could have been condition. Could have been a mixture of both... but the fact remains, they weren't selling. Scarier, they weren't selling in Chicago. Not crazy, but mildly surprising to say the least.

As time goes on, the ceiling we saw on high grade MJ's will probably go higher at times... but right now, that floor were watching for... me thinks it still has a long way to go.

I don't remember who the person was. I'm not sure I even know the person... but I saw someone on these forums looking to sell their PSA 8 (i believe that's what it was) for $1400 paypal gift. I remember a time not too long ago when you could pick up PSA 9's for $1400-1500. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think such a time is coming again... or at the very least, a time coming again where a PSA 9 will be able to be had for under $2K.

There are just too many out there... and that's not a bad thing!!!

I bought my first Mj Psa 9 RC for 1k and sold it for 2k a year later. Thought that was the top of the market lol

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

I've never owned an MJ rookie at any price point -- so I guess I've missed out on that rollercoaster. ;) Totally didn't get a chance to go to the Chicago Fanatics show last weekend, but will make a point of it next year! :)

• Options

Eric,

What were PSA 10's going for at the show?

Joe

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

I'm sure we can all say that we have gotten caught up in a fever and have overpaid for something. I know i have, as well naturally made a serious profit on something else. The hope is we gain more than we lose. As for the Jordan, unless he pulls an OJ this card will ebb and flow for a long time. I really think the market did flood once the "buying group" prices came out. Now we are dealing with the economics of the flood as well as the Holiday season which is the wrong time to sell something. It is the time to buy

• Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Eric,

What were PSA 10's going for at the show?

I only recall seeing one PSA 10 and I didn't ask on a price. Most available were in the 4 to 9 range and many ungraded.

• Options

@Dand522612 said:
    I'm sure we can all say that we have gotten caught up in a fever and have overpaid for something. I know i have, as well naturally made a serious profit on something else. The hope is we gain more than we lose. As for the Jordan, unless he pulls an OJ this card will ebb and flow for a long time. I really think the market did flood once the "buying group" prices came out. Now we are dealing with the economics of the flood as well as the Holiday season which is the wrong time to sell something. It is the time to buy

Very true! When I earlier mentioned it wasn't too long ago that you could pick up PSA 9's in the $1400-1500 range... well, it was a little longer ago than I thought. Geez, time flies by as you get older, lol!

I went back and looked at VCP history... it was the holiday season... Nov 2012 to Feb 2013

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

there were tons of MJ rookies at the national this year, and they weren't selling that well. although i did see a few deals go down for 10s at $28-30k, the lower grades 8 and below were also somewhat active

i agree there's a glut of inventory and has been for some time, but remember a lot of those sellers may have traded for these which takes some sting off of holding for an extended period

i just don't know that i believe all those guys are going to slash and burn and move on, which is what it would take to cut 9 prices more than in half from current levels

at even $3000-3500, there are a TON of buyers and registry set builders who would be back in the market

in my humble opinion, the days of 9s under $2k are long gone

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked this one up and might try to review it next time I see PSA.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a bit intriguing that so many 86 Fleer Jordan's would be offered for sale ungraded. This due to it's history of being counterfeited so much. One would think it would be an easier sell if they were graded, thereby removing most if not all of the counterfeit concerns. Even if it just graded a 5. And you are possibly leaving some $ on the table.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Just picked this one up and might try to review it next time I see PSA.

Nice looking card!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bounce said:
    there were tons of MJ rookies at the national this year, and they weren't selling that well. although i did see a few deals go down for 10s at $28-30k, the lower grades 8 and below were also somewhat active

i agree there's a glut of inventory and has been for some time, but remember a lot of those sellers may have traded for these which takes some sting off of holding for an extended period

i just don't know that i believe all those guys are going to slash and burn and move on, which is what it would take to cut 9 prices more than in half from current levels

at even $3000-3500, there are a TON of buyers and registry set builders who would be back in the market

in my humble opinion, the days of 9s under $2k are long gone

IMHO many of the high end cards at the National seemed overpriced. I think the buying group run up just prior to the national caused most of the dealers to raise their prices.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.