Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Italian Newp

The annual "silver dollar show" is in STL this weekend. Sparsely attended and frankly not a great deal of interesting/fresh material in "my" primary areas but I was able to pickup a few useful odds and ends.

One is this 1959 5000 Lire. I've always liked Italian material and pick up the odd note occassionally if there's not much other demand on my show budget. Ironically I'd seen this from a local dealer a couple of weeks ago, he still had it and accepted my offer.

These things are huge (125 x 235mm or thereabouts), have very interesting/compelling designs and I guess this one grades VF or so. Several hard folds, but no holes, tears or nicks which are common with these big guys and it faces up nicely. Higher grades demand prices well above my level of interest so this was a natural at the price and since there didn't seem to be any blockbusters to strain my budget.

What fun! :D

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

That Italian note is beautiful! Great pick up!

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Congrats! I like it!

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Thanks! :D

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really like that note as well.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Great note!

The 10,000 lira note is even bigger! Here is one from 1962:

Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options

I like that 10k. The face design was used on some other issues as well as I recall. Sure like a lot of the Italian issues, but since not a focus it's more opportunity driven for me than the nationals, etc.

• Options

That 10K notes is really pretty! Thanks for posting, I love those big paper towel notes! :D

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Congrats STLNats , <3 I like the Medusa red seals on the obverse (top)on these big notes.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options

@Andres said:
    Congrats STLNats , <3 I like the Medusa red seals on the obverse (top)on these big notes.

:D

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool notes! Love the Italian (and French) notes from the teens to mid-century.

• Options

So, I bought one of the big 1959 Italian 5000 lire a few weeks ago. Given my propensity to ADD this one showed up in my mailbox. This is a true "horseblanket," about 125 x 250 mm (just fits one of the larger holders). It still faces up pretty nice and I'd guess it's about VF or so which is a sweet spot for me in order to avoid diverting too much $ from my primary interests. Not sure I'm really collecting these, altho I've probably accumulated at least a dozen better notes, with a few others in the mail, over the years and enjoy the designs.

Over the last couple of years I put together a nearly complete collection (by major type, not sig mercifully) of Brazil from 1942 since some good friends in the neighborhood brought me back a note or two from their trip home to Sao Paolo. (anyone in the market for a nice set of Brazil, mostly uncs?)

Who do I call for an intervention?

• Options
    edited November 2, 2016 2:50PM

PS, this also showed up today. A bit smaller, but a reasonable example of a 1929 Lire 50 fascist issue. If you're lucky, these mid grades still generally still present nicely but are orders of magnitude less expensive than the XFs (or better). I think this is getting out of hand!

Who DO I call for an intervention?

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Interesting thread!

• Options
    edited November 10, 2016 12:27PM

Bought a few more, found several buried on my desk. The desk finds were bought supercheap years ago from a "junk box" and are not in the best condition, but what's to lose at a buck or two each? While I know it's an old meme of ebay sellers, my scanner really does highlight the folds, all of these look MUCH better in hand, not that it matters that much I suppose. Also, my scanner doesn't seem to like the 1971 L 5000 so need to play with it a little more. Here's the highlights (yes there are more altho some are beat up a common problem with these big notes).

Can't ...

can't ...

can't resist buying more. Arghhhh!.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE OFFER ME A NIFTY STL NBN SO I CAN STOP BUYING ITALIAN STUFF. PLEASE!

• Options

And a more modern issue

• Options

Yet another, with a few more coming in the mail. Looked at the Heritage site and don't see any STL of interest so far so this may continue for a while. Argh!

• Options

Love those notes, so colorful and ornate!