Home Sports Talk
Options

The DH

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm an American League guy but everytime I watch the NL playoffs I realize how much better the NL rules are. The American League is like checkers to the National Leagues chess. Such a better brand of baseball.

mark
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

I believe it was game 7 of the 1968 WS that came in at just under 2 hours. These 3 to 4 hours snoozefests are tolerable in the background while doing something else, but grueling to watch on TV.

• Options

Looked it up....Game 7 Detroit vs SL, 2 hours 7 minutes. Median time of the 7 games was 2 hrs 34 minutes.

2012 WS, the shortest of the 4 games was 3:05.

• Options
    The new software is indeed powerful. It raised Glicker from the dead......

Welcome back

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

LOL.......PerryHall's séance worked better than expected.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely rather watch a dh bat than any pitcher. The dh has much less to do with the length of games than the incessant stepping out of the box after every pitch.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adam Wainwright was a blast to watch this year. Extrapolate his stats to a full season of 600 plate appearances, and he hit 70 doubles, 17 HR, 9 triples and drove in 157 runs. He hit .147 with the bases empty, .321 with men on, and .400 with runners in scoring position. He was used once as a pinch hitter and hit a 2-RBI double. AL fans never get to see great stuff like that.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the OP and I'm an American League guy too.

Jake Arrieta's homer against Bumgarner was off the charts cool.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to see the pitcher have to bat, especially after they have thrown a "purpose" pitch at a humans head and connecting.They should take their lumps as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2016 3:12PM
    Game 5 Dodgers vs Nats is all you need to see to see why the National League product is better

mark
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an AL'er and would like to see the DH abandoned. I believe it was a rule change that was done with the sole purpose of increasing offense without fully realizing how much it would affect the game.
    in a nutshell, it gave us a small increase in offense with a huge loss in strategy.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Game 5 Dodgers vs Cubs is all you need to see to see why the National League product is better

mark

@Justacommeman if there is a Game 5

GO CUBS GO!

• Options
    Ya, meant Dodgers vs Nat's

mark
  • Options

for anyone who doesn't think the DH rule affects the game of Baseball I believe the World Series this year should clear that up. it can be summed up with on name --- Kyle Schwarber. he had an effect on Game 2 in Cleveland as the DH and vanished when he got home to the NL park because he isn't cleared to play in the field. he will return tonight(and tomorrow if necessary) at the AL park and probably contribute.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

While his manager openly admits that he can't stand the rule, but will make every effort to take advantage of it.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It certainly does change the game........and should be the same in both leagues.

• Options

I thought it was interesting the way Francona tried to get around the rule not being there in the first NL game by playing Santana in Left Field and keeping Napoli at First. he evidently thought that was too risky to try it again in Game 4 so he sat Napoli and kept Santana at First, only to be rewarded with a solo shot.