Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help with Star Co autographed baseball bagged sets.

Good evening fellas,

I've lately been acquiring the old STAR CO baseball autographed bagged sets from the mid-late 80's, and when searching the Internet to try and find more information about these sets, very slim if any information can be found.

I know that STAR basketball dominates the 80's, and it is also well known that STAR made typical bagged baseball player sets from the mid-80's up until the early 90's, but they also specialized in autographs. Over the past year, I have acquired quite a few sets and basically started a collection without even meaning too, (most can be found for a very reasonable price).

Do any seasoned collectors here know if an official autographed baseball set checklist was ever made known to the public through older hobby magazines or by the company to ex-STAR dealers? Most sets are rumored to be /500 and seems to start around 1983 and goes until 1988. (If any were made after this, I haven't seen any for sale yet).

I guess since I'be begun acquiring these, I might as well try and put a run together, and am looking for any assistance any of you can give. I appreciate any tidbits, history of this, or any knowledge that can be shared.

Thanks for the help!

Jimmy
Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jimmy!

I'll have to see if I still have my list somewhere. I did have one. It's been so long since I was working on it I dont know but I will look.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Barry, and I do appreciate it. No rush.

Jimmy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    I've got 3 sets from Doc Goiden autographed but didn't know there were others. Who do you have?
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭

I have Carl Yaz signed sealed bag set.

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hey Jimmy - I know you and I have talked about these Star sets before and I'm interested in what others have to say. You know I have a couple of the Yaz signed sets. My highest number is around #425, so I guess your /500 is correct. I don;t know if you mentioned this or someone else on another board, but I wonder how much information the Big Beckett book has on these sets...

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Hi Jimmy...I have several of these...PM sent. Forrest

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I'm just replying to this thread guys. I've been in search of a Yaz signed bagged set for awhile. I basically started collecting these by accident. About a year ago, BBCE had a 1987 Roger Clemens /500 for a very reasonable price, and although I've never been a true auto collector, I always liked Clemens. Once in hand, I thought it was kind of neat how the STAR CO distributed these like that. After trying forever to find information on the internet with no results, I recently bought an old SCB that showed up the other day and sure enough, they are listed in there.

They had lots of people sign from 1983, (Mike Schmidt being their debut signer), all the way up until the early 90's. These are very affordable and they had lots of HOF'ers as well as relative "nobody's" like Ricky Jordan. I just think it's cool, and again, most of the childhood heroes signed like Canseco, Clemens, Winfield etc.

I currently have guys like Gooden, Reggie, Carlton, Dale Murphy, Jim Rice, Mark Grace, Mike Scott, Valenzuela, Keith Hernandez, Winfield and others but am looking for all I can find, I will probably start an official BST soon as there is always stuff I'm looking for. I will work on returning PM's tonight...

In the meantime, I would love to know more about the company and any tidbits if anyone could share? How did this company get so many mainstream stars to sign? These were basically auto's before auto's were cool....let's keep some discussion going guys, and I always appreciate it...

Jimmy
  • Options
    CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭

I have Carl Yaz signed sealed bag set.