Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

France: copper specimen striking of a 10-centime pattern (essai), 1848

Here is my long awaited newp. image

Here is the cert page.

Here is the seller page.

Here is an interesting (and seemingly independent) blog post about this very coin.

I ended up getting it for $336.45, so saved almost sixty bucks off the ask price.

I think this thing provides a ton of bang for the buck, comparatively speaking.

Look closely at her necklace. That pretty much sums up my feeling about this piece.

I parted with some of my better love tokens to buy this, but don't think I'll regret that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's gorgeous!

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat and pretty coin.

We know you though, it will be sold/swapped for something else in time image
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bronzemat

Neat and pretty coin.

We know you though, it will be sold/swapped for something else in time image

Everything gets swapped or sold in time, from everyone's collection.

Can't take 'em with you when you go. image

What you're talking about is the way it goes with Box of 20 collecting, but favorites tend to stick around longer than the "just stuff" material.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Very nice example.

There's some variety of 1848 patterns out there and some are really striking, helmeted busts, etc altho I do like the Ceres style head that was selected (and casually collect it by date). Thre's not common at all and agree they provide a lot of bang for the buck given the rarity and style. Congrats

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I know why that coin disappeared from my Watch List on the Atlas site. image Congrats on a super / beautiful coin!

Brandon

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    A great pattern at an excellent price.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

I parted with some of my better love tokens to buy this, but don't think I'll regret that.

You won't regret that one bit! Gorgeous!

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    A real beauty! Congrats!

I love those mid century French designs. image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

I can tell you, that Rob actually fell in love with this coin at first sight. It was during some discussions between us and the possibility of a trade of one of his coins that he came across it, and he never let it go since. Glad you got it! :smiley:

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3<3<3<3<3 Says it all!

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does the coin compare to the Trueview image?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Wow, that's beautiful! I'm a huge fan of 1800's France small denominations, you can find some truly stunning pieces that won't break the bank.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

The TrueView is definitely a "glamor shot", as it often is with toned proofs. In hand, the colors only "pop" at certain angles, of course. However, the coin has a faint near-cameo appearance, so it's all good.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@ajaan said:

The TrueView is definitely a "glamor shot", as it often is with toned proofs. In hand, the colors only "pop" at certain angles, of course. However, the coin has a faint near-cameo appearance, so it's all good.

Even with the glamour shot, I can still tell that it's a very attractive piece of copper in hand. Congrats again. You removed one of the many tempting pieces of eye candy from my watch list at Atlas; my checkbook thanks you. :wink:

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]