Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lordmarcovan

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Rob, tie everything down and be safe.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    +1.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and don't forget the coins! Be safe.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Rob would say they're used to it, but be safe all the same!
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    To Rob and all the folks in that neck of the woods, whether you're evacuating or in an area that's further away, be safe. We're thinkin' of you.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto (times like these and the Box of Twenty is something to be grateful about, collection wise). Stay safe, and to anyone else in the path.

• Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

I believe Rob has mentioned in the past he liked this coin/medal.

Post coins/ medals we know Rob loves, or better yet dislikes, to keep his mind off the weather.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, everyone.

Will keep y'all updated as long as there is power here.

We're well inland of where we usually live, though there will no doubt be storm effects felt here as well.

This was the update I posted on my "Personal Open Forum" thread earlier:

Update for anyone who's concerned, since a few folks asked:

With Hurricane Matthew threatening the East Coast, and my area being right in its path, we have now evacuated inland to Jesup, GA.

My mother (in FL) texted my sister (in AZ) to let her know that we were "going to Jesup", but a typo or autocorrect malfunction made the message say we were "going to Jesus".

Oops. imageimage

All twelve of our animals (8 cats, 3 dogs, and a guinea pig) came with us.

The cats are NOT happy but are boarded and safe... in a chicken coop.

Priority 1 (people) and Priority 2 (animals) are mostly dealt with.

Priority 3 (property) is in the hands of God and Mother Nature.

What will be will be.

I did get my coins out of the SDB, but forgot to bring the 1968 oil painting my grandmother (a professional artist) did of me when I was a toddler. She died in 1980, so that one is irreplaceable. But it's high on a wall, so ...

HandH- I don't fully remember that medal, but... you're right. I do like it- very much!

I have a nice newp pending that I'm itching to show off. Sold some of my better love tokens to make it possible. However, the deal is not yet final, so I have to keep it under wraps for now. I am fully prepared to pay the seller's asking price but since counteroffers were an option, I'm trying that first to save as much as possible.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Will keep an eye on your posts, tomorrow should be interesting. Stay safe!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Stay safe indeed!

If everybody gets through this alright, there might be treasure to be found on the coast near Sebastian, right?

• Options
    Originally posted by: element159

Stay safe indeed!

If everybody gets through this alright, there might be treasure to be found on the coast near Sebastian, right?

That thought did occur to me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be safe Rob! You'll be fine and we'll see you up here in no time! image
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow... I hope you're alright!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG

I can't imagine!

I hope your home is high and dry Rob
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Hope you're doing ok. Please report often as you can and especially once the storm passes to let us know you made it through.

-d
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dadams
    Hope you're doing ok. Please report often as you can and especially once the storm passes to let us know you made it through.

-d

I agree, I hope everything is ok.
  • Options

whew!

That was a memorable one, mostly for the wrong reasons, but it could've been a lot worse. We lost a couple of big trees, about 100 feet of chain link fence, the approx. 8' x 60' awning off the back of our house, and three cats. That last makes me the saddest. They escaped their boarding site (a chicken coop on my wife's uncle's farm about sixty miles inland), but at least they got loose in farm country and not on some superhighway, so even though I doubt we'll ever see them again, they've got a fighting chance.

I am just now back to work, and had to go through a police and National Guard checkpoint and show my hotel employee ID to prove I had business on St. Simons Island, so things on the barrier islands are still not back to normal just yet. I have yet to see the island in daylight, since I came to work at 11:00 PM. My drive home should be interesting. There is an awful lot of tree damage; way worse than we got from Hermine, which was bad enough. Again, could've been an awful lot worse, though, if the storm had struck at high tide. Surprisingly, the hotel where I work is pristine, and actually looks better than it did pre-storm! They must've had some serious landscaping crews here in the last 48 hours (or magic elves). There isn't a twig out of place in the parking lot, and even our slender palm trees seem to have come through unscathed, though lots of live oaks and pines on both the island and the mainland got knocked over or uprooted.

We were without power for 14 hours at our evacuation site in Jesup, GA, sixty miles from home. And without Internet longer than that. So I am just now catching up.

And now I see we've got a new forum to get used to, so it's been an eventful week!

~RWS

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear everyone's ok, Rob!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you're safe now Rob.

This new Forum sucks.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

The new forum seems to be working for me.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you and the family are OK, and sorry about the cats :(

• Options

Welcome back, Rob!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you back. :)
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭

Cats can be resourceful......they may show up at your house one day. I had one disappeared for 10 months and just suddenly showed back up.

Glad to hear that you all fared okay for the most part...fences can be rebuilt, new trees will grow....what's important is that you guys are safe.

imageimage

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry about the kitties :( Did they all get out and only three run away? I hope it was the ones who are the outdoor lovers...and your wife's Uncle will keep an eye out for them.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Good to see you and yours made it thru ok Rob despite the property damage.

My daughter had a chance to take a job in Jax after 11 years in OK City, but decided to return to STL instead. We have tornados and earthquakes here from time to time but after last week we both think she made the right choice.

:D

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you made it out okay!!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

No joking, the cats could very well show back up at some point...

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear that you, the family and the critters (most of 'em) are well and accounted for. The rain is often the worst of these things as NC is finding out. My sump pump is still running, the ground is so saturated here in central Va.

• Options

@lordmarcovan said:
    whew!
    That was a memorable one, mostly for the wrong reasons, but it could've been a lot worse. We lost a couple of big trees, about 100 feet of chain link fence, the approx. 8' x 60' awning off the back of our house, and three cats. That last makes me the saddest. They escaped their boarding site (a chicken coop on my wife's uncle's farm about sixty miles inland), but at least they got loose in farm country and not on some superhighway, so even though I doubt we'll ever see them again, they've got a fighting chance.

Glad to hear from you, and hoping all bad things there go away, and your feline family members make it back OK. Give it time, and you may hear a meow. A cat that used to own us lived outdoors as much as indoors. Went, and came back, whenever he liked. His longest absence was 18 days. There he was, rolling around in the dirt, as always, just hungry and skinnier. Cats are much more resourceful than humans. ;)

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/