Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Need Help Deciding Grade

Hey guys, I have an opportunity to own an outstanding note. It could be my biggest purchase to date, but Im trying to decide what grade it is in. Seller says AU53 and it should get EPQ

I personally think its 45 at best, but these aren't the greatest pictures. the price between the two grade is about 50% and he's asking the high one.

let me know what you think and why, thanks for your help

[URL=http://s1250.photobucket.com/u..._zpsk3dcp1yp.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/kyleslie/media/2692_zpsso8onn7d.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    goodpapergoodpaper Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    That is a handsome note.

Step 1: unscrew the holder and carefully remove the note;
    Step 2: inspect the note in-hand using a high wattage incandescent light, looking for folds, pin holes and other surface issues;
    Step 3: assign your grade

Good luck - I hope it's what the seller says it is.
    "Specializing in Small Size US currency but likely to buy anything high grade or interesting".
  • Options
    dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Definitely not a AU53.

Hard to view from a scan, but I think I see three vertical folds (1/4 folded) plus a horizontal fold in addition to an angular fold on the right as seen in the reverse. It is a nice looking note but is not even close to being AU. Note may have been washed as folds are lighter in color. XF may be too high.

I hate those hard plastic screw type holders.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dtreter

Definitely not a AU53.

Hard to view from a scan, but I think I see three vertical folds (1/4 folded) plus a horizontal fold in addition to an angular fold on the right as seen in the reverse. It is a nice looking note but is not even close to being AU. Note may have been washed as folds are lighter in color. XF may be too high.

I hate those hard plastic screw type holders.

image completely.

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the others.

Even without taking it out and examining it and just using the pics you provided, it is not 53 AU. Looks like a VF range to me from your pics.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    ill get a couple better pictures later today, thanks everyone

• Options
    outtacashouttacash Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    awesome note... looks like a VF30
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Smell the note - is there anything that has a faint scent like scorched distilled water?
    That is one way to detect pressing

OTOH, Higher grade notes will appreciate faster than lower grades
  • Options
    Originally posted by: synchr

Smell the note - is there anything that has a faint scent like scorched distilled water?

i dont have the note in hand, its in another state, I've done a lot of business with this guy, like 15k +

he's guaranteeing me 45EPQ or he'll buy it back
  • Options
    goodpapergoodpaper Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    If you are willing to pay 45PQ money for that note, I'd say go for it as long as it's PMG or PCGS as the TPG. But make sure that "PQ" is part of the deal because that note seems a tad board-like flat - - still a very nice looking note.
    "Specializing in Small Size US currency but likely to buy anything high grade or interesting".
  • Options
    It looks like images were taken inside a coin shop. So the owner is clearly aware that if the note is as choice as he claims that he could easily get more money if graded.

As someone who has had to make grade guesses from literally tens of thousands of images, I can tell you that if you can clearly see three pressed folds, that the there is a lot more you can't see.

The note looks toned and flat. It is very likely the note would grade as a 35 no PQ.

I would stay away and wait for the next graded one at auction where you aren't having to play any games.
  • Options
    are you able to quote what he's asking for it?

(sorry to be so bold)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: outtacash

are you able to quote what he's asking for it?

(sorry to be so bold)

• Options
    I've never spend anything near that on a note. which makes me an expert, but look at what HA has sold and consider what 8k could buy already graded.

https://currency.ha.com/itm/gold-certificates/fr-1197-50-1882-gold-certificate-pcgs-very-fine-35ppq/a/3526-17158.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
  • Options
    its a $3500 note in the condition most of us think its in... i would run from that coin shop

(maybe 4k tops)
  • Options
    this PCGS 40 is on ebay for $6500 with a Make an Offer option

prob could be had for under $6000, which nets the seller closer to $5000:

Fr 1197 on ebay

note: this is not my sale
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with goodpaper !!! ??
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Originally posted by: goodpaper

If you are willing to pay 45PQ money for that note, I'd say go for it as long as it's PMG or PCGS as the TPG. But make sure that "PQ" is part of the deal because that note seems a tad board-like flat - - still a very nice looking note.

story is, its been in that hard display case since the 50's.... dont know if thats really the case, but everything I've gotten from this guy has been spot on so far... he's actually kinda upset that I'm not snagging it, i buy a lot from him and he passes on some good deals. 45epq could bring close to 10-12k at auction? idk.... tough decision, i wish it was just already graded
  • Options
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/gold-certificates/fr-1197-50-1882-gold-certificate-pcgs-extremely-fine-40/a/3541-20945.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

EF 40 pcgs sold 2016 for $4,465.00

a PMG 53 from Krause collection $9,200.00

but that note isn't a EF 40 at all. And being squeezed flat for 60 years will not help. The back seems whiter than the front, so it might be toned from UV.

But, buy what you like because it makes you happy, if you buy to make money, you might wind up disappointed.

• Options
    Not always a sign that it has been pressed, but look at the picture of the note in the palm of the hand. It is curling. The body heat of the hand will cause a note to curl if it has been pressed. This is just an observation.

If I were to buy this note, if would agree to a price based on what the note would grade by PCGS. If you know the dealer, agree to a price for what it will grade and have him send it off to PCGS to have it graded. That would remove all doubt about the note and protect you and the dealer. I would not pay what he is asking because the note is VF to XF...not AU.
  • Options
    From PCGS grading standards:

Extremely Fine 40

The old standard of “three folds makes an XF” is applicable here, as typically a thrice-folded note does indeed usually grade “40”. Common sense exceptions must be made, however, as three folds that are exceptionally heavy may drop the note into a lower grade category. Notes with three folds and a couple of other minor light bends or folds may occasionally make it to the “40” grade if the extra folds are light enough and are not obtrusive to the overall appearance. A typical XF note may have a couple of pinholes, but any larger holes would prevent a note from reaching this grade.

Very Fine 35

This is a “just miss” grade, comparable to the grade “About Extremely Fine” used by some companies. It represents a note that is very close to an Extremely Fine 40 but that has one or two minor faults, such as an additional light fold or two that preclude a higher grade. A “35” should have eye appeal that is well above average for a VF note.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the VF35 camp. Wait for a better opportunity.
  • Options
    Unless you have been collecting a lot of years and have a lot of experience grading notes, I would never spend that kind of money on a raw note. The risk is too high.

When I was just starting out I learned some expensive lessons by trusting dealers and buying raw notes or notes graded by CGA instead of PCGS or PMG. Then once I sent them to PCGS I found that Every single note was vastly over graded.

My advice is to stick to graded notes. You have to ask yourself why a dealer would not have a note worth that much already in a holder to maximize his profits.
    Small size type collector and fancy serial numbers
  • Options
    have you ever bought other items from him raw and then had them graded? if so what were the results?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: outtacash

have you ever bought other items from him raw and then had them graded? if so what were the results?

no, i have only bought a handful of smaller demo and less rare notes that weren't graded, nothing of this caliber... i think I'm gunna either pass unless he grades it or make him come way down on his price...

thanks for all the help guys
  • Options
    smart

if he wants $8k for it, then have him support that by getting it graded... cripes, its the least he can do lol
  • Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely overgraded at AU, I mean laughably not close. I also think VF35 as others (might creep XF40 on a curve). Smart play to hold off - I would love this note, just not at the price being asked and someone with an AU 1197 is going to pay the money to get it graded.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    EF40 at best

Matt
  • Options
    vonbraunvonbraun Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Sorry I go VF30 no PQ . Even with the rare note grading curve there are too many folds . Great color , maybe to good .
  • Options
    What are the odds that it has already been graded, owner was unhappy with the grade and it is now raw looking for a mark...
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't let the seller pressure you with his "disappointment".

Heed the advice of multiple experts here and if you do go forward, make sure that the XF 45 PPQ guarantee is on the invoice, and that you are OK with that grade at that price.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

An XF note at AU prices?

@kyleslie said:

i dont have the note in hand, its in another state, I've done a lot of business with this guy, like 15k +

he's guaranteeing me 45EPQ or he'll buy it back

Originally posted by: synchr

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

The paper looks better than most high VFs, more like an XF but the folds, etc. will limit grade, value, and desirability. Never fall in love with a particular numismatic item, it is so easy to do. Let him send it in before you shell out a red cent. Why isn't a multi-thousand dollar note like this already certified? Smells fishy, others with cert. tracking ware could find if it has any history, or is it from "an estate" or an elderly man's collection, happens to be on consignment with said dealer who is just taking a modest commission?