Home Sports Talk
Options

It is way, way to early to even think about pro hoops, but................

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
................in a preseason game (which I was not even aware of) last night the 2016-2017 Warriors blew out the Clippers 120-75.

At the end of the 3rd quarter the score was 102-50.

Klay Thompson scored 30 and Kevin Durant scored 21 in limited minutes. Apparently the Warriors defense was stellar.

Should be an interesting 2016-2017 season in the NBA. The theme for the season that will be touted by the sports media will be Le Bron James and Cleveland looking for respect while sitting in spot #2 in the league power rankings behind the all star laden, prima dona Warriors.

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SanctionII
    ................in a preseason game (which I was not even aware of) last night the 2016-2017 Warriors blew out the Clippers 120-75.

At the end of the 3rd quarter the score was 102-50.

Klay Thompson scored 30 and Kevin Durant scored 21 in limited minutes. Apparently the Warriors defense was stellar.

Should be an interesting 2016-2017 season in the NBA. The theme for the season that will be touted by the sports media will be Le Bron James and Cleveland looking for respect while sitting in spot #2 in the league power rankings behind the all star laden, prima dona Warriors.

Wow. That is crazy. 102-50 after 3!? YIKES!

As a King's fan I am just hoping for 35 wins. Lol!

Good luck to the dubs. Avoid injuries and I think everybody else is playing for runner up.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While flipping channels last night I saw the game briefly and thought, basketball already? The seasons blend into one another seemingly without a break.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin, that sounds like a lot of three's.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go dubs!!!!
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY
    While flipping channels last night I saw the game briefly and thought, basketball already? The seasons blend into one another seemingly without a break.

Because all the major sport seasons are twice as long as they should be. Except football , 16 games is about right.

• Options
    Keets.It seems like it was 3 weeks ago that Cleveland won game 7. Hard to believe that preseason has started.
  • Options
    actually, if I close my eyes and relax it just happened last night!! image

Cleveland fans have learned to savor victory and hold onto hope, we'll need that during the next week, at least. the Indians have made the summer an enjoyable time, the Browns not such an enjoyable start to Autumn.
  • Options

Watched the GSW v. OKC game tonight.

The Wqrriors won in a blowout, 122 - 96. A 26 point win that was not as close as the final score indicates. Durant went off for 39. On Tuesday the Warriors blew out Portland on the road. It will be interesting to see how the Warriors play together as a team after they have 20-25 games under their belts.

• Options

Warriors putting on a clinic against the Lakers tonight. Up by a score of 80-51 at the half. Shooting 62% from the field, have 26 assists and only 3 turnovers.

• Options

Final score 149-106. Lakers shot under 40%. Warriors had 47 assists, 10 turnovers and shot very well. They have won 9 in a row and are 13-2. Loozing forward to games in December against the Clippers and Cleveland.

• Options

Kevin, get as excited as you want, but the regular season head-to-head games don't really show too much. that was evidenced last year when the Warriors beat the Cavs easily during the season, not so much in the playoffs. to highlight the Cavs mindset --- a short while ago the Cavs could have set a franchise record of some kind with a victory; Lebron sat out the entire game because it was his turn to rest and they lost.

for the elite Teams like the Warriors and Cavs the regular season is only the means to arrive at the playoffs.

• Options

Al. This year I am not as engaged with the Warriors. The two prior years I was much more excited about the team. This year not so much. You are right about the regular season. It does not.mean much, is too long and merely determines the 16 playoff teams.

However, the regular season does entertain. Last night's Cleveland game against Portland and the Warrior game against the Lakers are examples of the entertainment regular season games can provide. For a hoops fan like me who really has no team that I live and die with (the only team of that nature for me is the Beoncos) I just enjoy watching basketball being played well.

Here is hoping for another Cavs-Warriors 7 game finals next June.

• Options

Warriors v. Clippers in LA tonight as the second game of a double header being shown on national TV (the first games is Cavs v. Knicks). A friend of mine who practices law in LA has season tickets to the Clippers and will be attending the game. I will have to look for him during crowd shots during the TV broadcast.

Both games in the double header should be entertaining.

• Options

not much decided last night, two elite Teams dominated two average Teams.

• Options

My man Mr. Westbrook is putting on a show every night. I hope they play the Warriors in the playoffs. Certainly not saying they will beat the Dubs but Westbrook will die trying!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    not much decided last night, two elite Teams dominated two average Teams.

Knicks,yes. Clippers not so average.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2016 4:32AM

think about it, there are three levels in the NBA --- Elite, Average and Also-Ran's. I suppose a case can be made for the Clippers not being your average-average Team, but they are certainly in the group which will be in the middle when all is said and done.

let's call them above average.

• Options

Warriors hammered the Blazers tonight by 45 points, 135-90. 18, 25, 33 and 45 point leads at the end of each quarter. Bench players played the entire 4th quarter and they increased the lead by 12.

Looking forward to Christmas day watching Cavs-Warriors.

• Options

Kevin, have the Warriors been resting players??? do you think they will fall into the same trap they stepped into last year, blazing away during the regular season and showing the effect of that in the playoffs?? I know the Cavs have been resting players, they didn't even take 3-4 guys with them on a recent road game trip, opting instead to allow for some rest and to let the subs get some minutes.

it is probably a wise strategy, but I assume conspiracy theorists will spin news from the facts.

• Options

Al.

The team has been resting some players. Livingston, Iggy and Green have taken nights off. The starters, in blow out games have been playing about half a game. Can not wait for the game on christmas.

• Options

well, Kevin, it is now only three days till your fantasy game. I expect it to be under-whelming.

• Options

Al.

Do you attend any Cavs-Warriors games? If so, how is the experience?

As for the games on Christmas day, I will miss it because I will be flying with family and driving when it takes place. I will have to check the highlights.

• Options

no.

• Options

Russ just messing around and getting another triple double. :)

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Greek Freak has been playing out of his mind of late. Giannis went for a career high 39 pts. Friday night. MVP chants were reigning down on him at the Bradley Center! A little premature for that, but this guy is getting better and better.

The Bucks who have been irrelevant for so long now look to have a nice team. They're up and down and have lost some real close games against good teams and sit at 14-14. Jabari is coming into his own and there is talk of Khris Middleton possibly returning ahead of schedule, perhaps February. I would like to see this squad make the playoffs and potentially win a series or two.

Jeff

• Options
    edited December 25, 2016 3:41PM

The theme for the season that will be touted by the sports media will be Le Bron James and Cleveland looking for respect while sitting in spot #2 in the league power rankings behind the all star laden, prima dona Warriors.

Kevin, the game has been entertaining --- BUT --- the reason I stopped watching last year during the playoffs is still very apparent: the Officiating absolutely sucks. what has been nice to see is the two best players in the League playing against each other.

• Options

Did not get to watch the game. Flying from San Diego to SF Bay Area and driving from the airport while the game was on. Saw the score and understand the Warriors let a double digit 4th quarter lead slip way.

I should be able to watch the next game in Oakland.

Tonight I will be watching my Broncos play KC to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. Go Denver.

• Options

the game was actually pretty good as a whole but it came down to the last five minutes. as I said about the Refs, Van Gundy summed it up when Green drove on a fast break and Frye had position in the 4th Quarter, "Everyone knows that was charging but they just decide not to call it." there were calls all game like that and Van Gundy followed by saying that things even out, the players just need to learn to control themselves when it happens.

that was a pointed jab at Dramond Green who had two technicals in the game. he's a good player but he has no self-control, probably should have been ejected early in the game with the first T.

looking at the players on balance, the Teams are still pretty close. the Warriors played good defense but the Cavs shot horribly until it mattered, I think there was a point when they were down by three late in the game and were shooting about 31-33%. then they started to hit. without looking at stats it was Durant/Thompson/Green for GSW and Irving/Love/James for the Cavs. Cleveland had good contributions from Channing Frye and Reggie Jefferson that was probably the difference.

one point that was discussed earlier that came into play --- with the way the Warriors are built it can still only be one guy with the ball at a time, two of them can't score on one possession. for most of the game it seemed like they didn't move the ball the way they did last year and Durant was everywhere. JMHO, he seems to be the focus of their offense, a much bigger force than Curry who can get hot and wreck a Team, but he was ice cold today. the Cavs seem able to intimidate Curry, another thing I pointed out in the Finals. the rest of the League should mimic how the Cavs defend Curry.

all in all it was a better game than I expected and in case I failed to mention it, Kevin Durant is a beast!!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giannis with the buzzer beater at MSG! Big time rising star, he has taken another step towards hopefully being an All Star Game starter. Did you all see the fast break dunk from 14.7 feet out? Beast.

Sure do like the direction this young team is headed. Malcolm Brogdon is proving to be a wonderful 2nd round pick. Jabari...outstanding too.

Jeff

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth said:
    Giannis with the buzzer beater at MSG! Big time rising star, he has taken another step towards hopefully being an All Star Game starter. Did you all see the fast break dunk from 14.7 feet out? Beast.

Antetokounmpo is ridiculous. Couldn't have a more apropos nickname. If he one day becomes the best player in the NBA, I won't be the least bit surprised.

(That game-winner was a TOUGH shot.)

• Options

hey Kevin, calling Kevin..........................

I see the Cavs will be rolling in to play the Warriors in a couple weeks, a sort of mid-season rematch. they are in a rough spot right now and have only been dressing 10 players for the past 3-4 games. Kevin Love had a bout with food poisoning and should be back soon, Irving has a sore hammy and Smith is gone till almost March with the bad thumb.

fear not, though, I see that rumor has it they are working a deal with the Hawks to get Kyle Korver. he should help when the others get back until JR recovers.

bombs away, baby!!!

• Options

Keets.

I sent you a reply to your PM but I think it bounced back.

I saw that Cleveland traded for Korver He can shoot the lights out from distance. Hopefully he makes the Cavs a better team.

I watched the Warriors play Memphis a few days ago. They dominated the first 3 quarters and I thought the game was in hand. The team fell apart in the 4th quarter, allowed Memphis to erase a 19 point lead and tie the game. Overtime and Memphis ran away with the game. A gag fest, choke job. Other games have been closer than one would expect. They have since played Sacramento, Miami and Detroit, winning each game.

The Warriors can play very well, but something about this year's team makes me scratch my head. They will still likely win 65-70 games and make a deep run in the playoffs. Media coverage this year is irritating, with reporters trying to create drama and controversy where there is none. Got to get ratings and audience somehow.

Next week the Warriors play Cleveland, OKC and Houston. That will be a brutal stretch of games. I will make time to watch the Cleveland game from the comfort of home.

I assume you are going to watch. I suspect the game will likely be close.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2017 5:14AM

**Monday night is Cavs vs. Warriors which should be good. the Cavs right now aren't playing very well. they seem to have become disorganized due to injuries to Kyrie Irving and JR Smith, illness for Kevin Love and Lebron James, then the addition of Kyle Korver. my take is that they are out of synch due to the substitutes having to start, and now the starters are working their way back into a rhythm.

barring a quick return to cohesiveness I expect the Cavs to lose handily on Monday.**

what a strange new anomaly the current software has --- you can type in a reply, get distracted and never finish, yet the typed reply will wait till the next time you're logged in!!! such is what happened with the above highlighted post: I actually typed it on Saturday and never finished only to return after last night's embarrassing loss to post a follow-up.

while I expected the Warriors to win I didn't think it would get as ugly as it did. the Team looks like it will need the rest of the regular season to get into respectable form for a playoff run. based on last night I would call them one-and-done. I only watched the first half but can't think of anything good to say about what they did. the Warriors, on the other hand, couldn't seem to do much wrong.

• Options

I did not see the first half since I was at work. I saw parts of the second half where the Warr I rs maintained the lead they built in thd first half. Cleveland was flat,.olaying th final game of a long road trip. The Warriors wete motivated to play well. Not much more to be said.

If the two teams play for the title in June the hame last night will mean nothing.

• Options

I watched the Warriors play thr Clippers tonight. Warriors win 144 to 98. Curry had 43 points in less than 3 quarters.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!

• Options

the Cavs are in total disarray.