Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Heavily circulated silver certificates: any value besides face?

I recently received an old coin collection from a relative which included a box of several 1 and 2 dollar silver certificates.

My understanding is that these are only worth something if they're in uncirculated condition. Are collectors at all interested in severely beat up silver certificates and old bills?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Generally from what you described, they are spenders / face value.

That said, there is a chance there may be a keeper in there. So images would be necessary to help you accurately.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Smart @ss reply is that any $2 silver certificates you have are worth well over face since they were only in large size.

So just confirming, you are talking about small size bills?

Some Silver certificates depending on series and block can be worth more even in circulated.

Chances are that you have common dates and blocks, but you never know.

1928 and 1934 are worth more than face generally.

* notes and Hawaii notes are also worth more.

Same with old bills that are not Silver certificates, some can be worth alot.

a $2 1928B Legal Tender Note in PCGS Very Fine 25PPQ sold for $25,850 January 2015

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Nice $1 SCs with no writing, tears, or stains are worth $1.50. Problem notes are $1.10. Wholesalers are pretty picky also.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    1935 plain, 1935A and 1935D series do have some rare notes in their ranks that could make these worth it.

I pulled a group of circulated 1935 plain mules out of the runt bin and was happy
  • Options

Am I the only one that just keeps them all? I know they aren't worth much, but if it only costs me a dollar, I have always felt it was worth saving. Maybe my great-great grand kids will get something out of them.

JrDavid68
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I keep them, too, but haven't added to my collection from transactions in YEARS, if not DECADES! Used to get a lot when I worked retail management & went thru all the cash drawers each night...... Those were the days!