Home Sports Talk
Options

Who will win the WS ?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
According to most recent Vegas oddsmakers, the Cubs are favored to win it all.

On the other side, the Red Sox are favored to win the ALDS and ALCS, with the Rangers close behind.

I'd like to think the Red Sox could win yet another, but the Cubs are really clicking along.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicago Cubs.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    A Red Sox / Cubs World Series be the best thing to happen to MLB this decade.

Go Sox!
  • Options
    actually, a Cubs vs. anyone World Series would be great. aside from the fact that the Red Sox have a large fan base they don't really bring that much to their being in the games, they did that last decade when they got rid of their demon.

there are really two World Series match-ups that would probably be better:

--- Cubs vs. Indians since neither Team has won it since Cleveland's last victory in 1948.

--- Chicago Cubs vs. Texas Rangers. from a purely historic perspective this would be my choice, over 100 years for the Cubs winning and never for the Rangers.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    My heart says the Dodgers finally win... but my head says it's going to be someone other than the Dodgers. If not the Dodgers I would love for the Cubs to win. Would make a great story.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pulling for the Cubs.

After that, anyone except Boston.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    The ohio team

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Sparky...why the downer on Boston?
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LA, for the "Voice", Vin.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps

Sparky...why the downer on Boston?

Sorry, can't help it.

Being a generational Yankees fan, it's in my DNA, born and raised that way.

I will say that some of my favorite players were Red Sox.

Fisk, Evans, Lynn, Yaz...and who wouldn't want Pedroia on their team?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Sparky...

Geez, you guys got Ruth, Lyle, Tiant, Boggs, Clemens, Damon, Youkilis and Ellsbury...to name a few. The list is pretty long I think.

Having been to many Red Sox/Yankees games at Fenway, I was most impressed with how the fans treated the opposing Yankee's pitcher with a standing ovation when he pitched well, but came up a bit short. I always wondered if the Yankee's fans ever did the same in the Bronx.

It's historically been a great event between the Red Sox and Yankees...hope you're not too bummed with this season's results. image

Once upon a time and very long ago, I once had a great thrill as a kid to see Mickey Mantle hustle for a Jackie Jensen deep fly ball at the base of the 420' sign in Fenway. Somehow my dad always got us seats in that little slice of pizza-like seats near the Red Sox bullpen...and I was hanging over the railing staring at the great #7 and can somehow still "hear" his cleats in the pea gravel...a huge moment for a very young kid.

GL next year, I look forward to the games.

PS, Sandoval is available.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubs vs Red Sox would be The Dream match up for MLB

Wrigley v Fenway

Holy grail

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the Cubs year.
    Daniel
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My heart says the Sox, but it is an even year.... and Madbum....

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    LA or the Mets vs Boston would be a ratings bonanza as well

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BaltimoreYankee
    This is the Cubs year.

I hope you are right.........................................................BUT

they always seem to find a way to blow it!

They are sorta like the Tony Romo of Baseball!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see Indians-Cubs World Series~at least 1 team will win a WS for the first time in 68+ years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Not the Mets!!!image

(sorry Tim!)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an even year.....so I guess it's the Giants again!

Sure wish the Yankee's would get back on track
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm routing for the Cubs, would be a great story
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    well, both games of the ALDS seemed to run a little contrary to the way many thought they would play out. I missed most of the Texas/Toronto game because of work(it's such an inconvenience) but the last three innings I managed to see showed a Texas Team and fans that looked either shocked or flat. the Blue Jays have some power and can score quick, but winning 10-1, you must be kidding me.

the Cleveland/Boston game was a different story, competitive but I think Cleveland outplayed Boston in just about every phase of the game. one of the keys was the way Francona used his bullpen and I'm sure there are more than a few people wondering how it will affect tomorrows game. I think Porcello was shocked when the Tribe hit three HR's off of him, but I think another key was the overall play of Roberto Perez --- behind the plate, at the plate and on the bases, the guy probably had a career game.

on the Boston side, I think they were really exposed in the game at the plate with their inability to hit the curve ball. it will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow with Kluber, he has a nice slider and will probably do what wasn't done much tonight, pitch inside. time after time the Red Sox over committed on a 12-6 in the dirt, especially in the 8th and 9th innings.

did anyone see the long foul ball that Mike Napoli hit in the third inning?? it went completely out of the park to the "smoking area" behind the home-run porch. that was the inning that Porcello got tagged for the three HR's and if Napoli would have jacked one I think the fans would have torn down the rafters. good stuff all around and the ball really carried out in right field. the funny thing was that it wasn't the big boppers who hit 'em!!

the only downer about the game for me was the pre-post game coverage by TBS which was so totally slanted to Boston, they made no effort to even be objective. why would they have Pedro Martinez as one of the four guys?? it's like when the NFL has Bill Cowher on the pre-game for a Steelers game.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

well, both games of the ALDS seemed to run a little contrary to the way many thought they would play out. I missed most of the Texas/Toronto game because of work(it's such an inconvenience) but the last three innings I managed to see showed a Texas Team and fans that looked either shocked or flat. the Blue Jays have some power and can score quick, but winning 10-1, you must be kidding me.

the Cleveland/Boston game was a different story, competitive but I think Cleveland outplayed Boston in just about every phase of the game. one of the keys was the way Francona used his bullpen and I'm sure there are more than a few people wondering how it will affect tomorrows game. I think Porcello was shocked when the Tribe hit three HR's off of him, but I think another key was the overall play of Roberto Perez --- behind the plate, at the plate and on the bases, the guy probably had a career game.

on the Boston side, I think they were really exposed in the game at the plate with their inability to hit the curve ball. it will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow with Kluber, he has a nice slider and will probably do what wasn't done much tonight, pitch inside. time after time the Red Sox over committed on a 12-6 in the dirt, especially in the 8th and 9th innings.

did anyone see the long foul ball that Mike Napoli hit in the third inning?? it went completely out of the park to the "smoking area" behind the home-run porch. that was the inning that Porcello got tagged for the three HR's and if Napoli would have jacked one I think the fans would have torn down the rafters. good stuff all around and the ball really carried out in right field. the funny thing was that it wasn't the big boppers who hit 'em!!

the only downer about the game for me was the pre-post game coverage by TBS which was so totally slanted to Boston, they made no effort to even be objective. why would they have Pedro Martinez as one of the four guys?? it's like when the NFL has Bill Cowher on the pre-game for a Steelers game.

I'm in Asia and I only caught a couple innings of the Toronto game at the gym my morning. I missed the Cleveland game. Looks like I missed a good one.

mark
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets, Cleveland played great, but you may be over analyzing. If I were a Tribe fan I wouldn't be saying the Sox were
    exposed by their inability to hit a curve.
    They have the type of lineup that can score 10+ runs on any given night, doubt if Cleveland will hold them down for long, good curveballs or not.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Mark- Thanks for checking in to let us know you missed the game. Good stuff!
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Darin

Mark- Thanks for checking in to let us know you missed the game. Good stuff!

Was kind of bored driving in a car with most everyone I know sleeping when I answered that. Just making conversation with Keets. Ya it was kind of lame come to think of it.

Darin, for someone who gets it wrong most of the time you were right this time. Congrats. You don't have the monopoly on lame after all.

Mark

• Options
    Keets, Cleveland played great, but you may be over analyzing.

I only know what I saw.

you pre-suppose that Boston will adjust --- and they will --- but Cleveland will also adjust. one thing I noticed during the game was the lack of inside pitches that the Red Sox saw and the fact that they were fed curve balls with not many sliders. that will almost certainly change, the key factor tonight is whether or not Kluber is fully healed.

the two Teams are really, really close.
  • Options
    Mark- I passed the concussion protocol and am back in the posting game. LOL.

Keets- I am hoping Cleveland holds down the Red Sox. And they might, certainly a very good start last night.
    I'm finding this postseason really enjoyable, with the Royals not in it I can just relax and have fun watching the games, no stress.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Clev vs. Giants

Giants win.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    I still like the Cubs but it is time for SF again!!
  • Options
    hey Darin, am I still over analyzing things?? more trouble with the curve and the slider for Red Sox hitters.

trust me on this --- back in 1995 the Indians had one of the best offenses that either League had seen in awhile. I think the Team BA was over .290 and after the All-Star Game there were still times when they would have a starting nine that averaged over .300!! no game was ever out of reach with the likes of guys such as Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, Eddie Murray, Carlos Baerga and Kenny Lofton. they could just flat out hit and never saw a fastball they didn't like!! the trouble they encountered was with the Atlanta Braves pitching staff and game plan --- breaking balls and superb control, it really neutralized them.

I think the Red Sox are a similar Team though nowhere near as talented as the '95 Indians. control will be the secret going forward and if Tomlin has it the Sox are done. when I see Pedroia hit those balls on the outside edge down the right field line, it shows how dangerous he can be. when I see Big Papi dig a pitch headed for his shoes out of the dirt and send it over the fence, it worries me. When I see Hanley Ramirez smoke anything that doesn't have movement, I shudder!!

the key will be Tomlin's control and movement. if he stays over the middle of the plate he won't even last three innings and I think we'll see Clevinger.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Darin

Mark- I passed the concussion protocol and am back in the posting game. LOL.

Keets- I am hoping Cleveland holds down the Red Sox. And they might, certainly a very good start last night.

I'm finding this postseason really enjoyable, with the Royals not in it I can just relax and have fun watching the games, no stress.

Me too.

mark

• Options
    Originally posted by: keets
    hey Darin, am I still over analyzing things?? more trouble with the curve and the slider for Red Sox hitters.

trust me on this --- back in 1995 the Indians had one of the best offenses that either League had seen in awhile. I think the Team BA was over .290 and after the All-Star Game there were still times when they would have a starting nine that averaged over .300!! no game was ever out of reach with the likes of guys such as Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, Eddie Murray, Carlos Baerga and Kenny Lofton. they could just flat out hit and never saw a fastball they didn't like!! the trouble they encountered was with the Atlanta Braves pitching staff and game plan --- breaking balls and superb control, it really neutralized them.

I think the Red Sox are a similar Team though nowhere near as talented as the '95 Indians. control will be the secret going forward and if Tomlin has it the Sox are done. when I see Pedroia hit those balls on the outside edge down the right field line, it shows how dangerous he can be. when I see Big Papi dig a pitch headed for his shoes out of the dirt and send it over the fence, it worries me. When I see Hanley Ramirez smoke anything that doesn't have movement, I shudder!!

the key will be Tomlin's control and movement. if he stays over the middle of the plate he won't even last three innings and I think we'll see Clevinger.

Kluber was great today, congrats, just one more win.
    Boston's lineup reminds me of the Tigers'. Dangerous with lots of power, and if
    they're struggling you don't want to do anything to wake them up.
    Hope the Indians pitching can hold up and shut down the Sox one more time.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    I am hopeful for the rest of the playoffs and can only wonder what things would be like if the entire pitching staff was healthy. I don't think the Indians were on anyone's radar during the season, all the coverage was on the AL East, as it usually is, and what the Cubs were doing. Cleveland quietly played on. one thing of note is the way they dominated the Tigers and really shut down Martinez and Cabrera. Miggy didn't have a homerun against Cleveland until the last week of the season and was only hitting around .200 through 15 games.

I credit Francona and the pitching coach, Mickey Calloway, for the work they did during spring training and through the season.

as good as I feel about things right now I remember what happened in 2007. Cleveland had the Red Sox down 3-2 with Sabathia in his Cy Young year and Carmona as a runner-up pitching in two Fenway games that neither showed up for. the end result was a series loss and Boston's WS victory. it was embarrassing to watch the Tribe get hammered in consecutive games and then lose the finale at home. there is a story my father told me/tells me about the Indians in Fenway Park during the 1948 season, Cleveland lost consecutive games there in the 7-8-9th innings when they had substantial leads. the place can be scary.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death, taxes, and the Rangers doing their postseason thang.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Like others have said- even number year its got to be the Giants. Personally I'd like a non-wild card and somebody new to win like the Cubs or Indians.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    it is clear who MLB wants in the ALCS.

I just saw a commercial that is a lead-in to next segment and it was about the ALDS --- the entire 30 seconds was Boston and RUNS, RUNS, RUNS with a break at the end to highlight Ortiz and then a final shot of the Teams and the game time. someone needs to contact the League office and let them no three things: Cleveland is playing in the games and actually leads 2-0, the Red Sox aren't scoring many RUNS, RUNS, RUNS and Ortiz has been an impotent non-factor thus far.

things can change in a hurry, but let's be objective. the MLB slant is silly given the facts at hand.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Tee-hee. Consider the audience. Big business knows who feeds the cow. If/when the Sox go down, then so shall the MasterCard Ortiz XXXXL jersey commercial and we can get on with our sorry lives.
  • Options
    The Cubs are the best looking most well constructed team I've seen in decades. From the GM/Manager/ Players. The roster has so many great parts. Of course it doesn't guarantee anything in a seven game series. Just increases the odds.

mark
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any doubt?! B)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

the media has already picked Toronto in the ALCS, that is OK but they sound sure of themselves, it is my home Team and I have underestimated them. the key in this series will be who Francona starts and how he uses the 'pen again.

I suspect that he will hold back Kluber from game one.
    --- if the Blue Jays win game one Kluber will go in game two.
    --- if the Indians win game one then Kluber could be held back and game two would be a "BullPen Game" for the Indians. if the Indians were up 2-1 or tied it would be nice to have a well rested Cory Kluber to start in Toronto.

I haven't heard anything locally about Salazar who has been working out in Arizona at the Team facility. if they think he is ready and able it would change everything.

• Options

so much for my Managerial skills!!!
    the Indians released their rotation and it'll be Kluber, Bauer and Tomlin with the B'pen game being #4. if you haven't already seen that fourth starter it's Mike Clevinger, a young guy with long hair. I know we often hear it said in American Culture that somebody seems like "the kind of guy you'd like to have a beer with" and when you see Clevinger he really fits the bill.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been a Cubbie fan my entire life... this year is finally "next year"

Go Cubbies!!!!

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    LA, for the "Voice", Vin.

A most exciting playoff game 5. LA survives to play on yet another day in the quest to "Win it for Vin".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Go Cubs Go!

• Options

isn't this the same Dodger franchise that was in such a state of disarray a few years ago that they were placed in "receivership" and managed by the MLB front office??

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@MauiLisa said:
    Go Cubs Go!

B) Aloha!

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be Cialis or Viagra the way they advertise. I'd like to see the Indians take the WS

• Options

LAD.2 to go to the big dance. 2 s/o's in a row.Who'd of thought. But much baseball yet to be played. Keep smiling Vin.

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

Dodgers vs. Indians? Did anyone predict this possibility? Oh the humanity! :o

• Options

I would love to see Cleveland do it. That city could use a boost- a WS ring to go along with what Lebron and company did a few months ago? I'd really like to see it happen, and I'm a Seattle guy