Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 10 Cent 1883/2 - Unlisted Overdate?

Hi,

I purchased this coin in August off of Ebay as an '1882'. The last digit strongly looks like a '3' was punched over a '2'. I've checked my Charlton book and online references and haven't found anything regarding any specific overdates for 1882 or 1883. The first four pics are from my semi-adequate cell phone camera. The last two are the seller's pics.

What's your opinion? Overdate?

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry - no. The 2 of 1882 has a high vertical serif at the bottom right. The condition of your example makes it look strange.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    It looks like PMD, with the 2 being damaged .. part of it pushed back so that it resembles a 3.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: syl
    It looks like PMD, with the 2 being damaged .. part of it pushed back so that it resembles a 3.

thats what it looks like. kinda wish i had it in hand to see better.
  • Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input everybody. It looks like the best I can hope for is that a second example (hopefully higher grade) comes to light. Hopefully it isn't PMD, but until another one shows up, it looks like the community and experts can't say definitively determine that this is an overdate. Check your 1882's everyone :-) Thanks again for your time!
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    87redcivic,
    I bumped up the contrast on your first photo
    and added images of high grade 1882-H and 1883-H specimens.
    I agree with Gene that yours is an 1882-H.
    There is no evidence of the lower ball of the 3,
    and the upper ball on yours matches the 2 and not the 3.
    Also the PMD between the 88 and between the 82 on your specimen are in line with the probable PMD on the 2
    which pushed up the metal and makes it look like the tail of the 2 is joined to the diagonal of the 2.

I do see evidence of repunching in the upper loop of the 3 in the two 1883-H specimens.