Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone have old SMR magazines ?

I am trying to get an idea how much 1966 Topps Baseball cards have appreciated over the years. I just started getting SMR magazine, the September 2016 issue values the 1966 Topps baseball card set in EX 5 condition at $3734.

Could you look at your old SMR and tell me how much they were worth and the month and year of the magazine you referenced.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I have every SMR I ever got. I'm holding them until they appreciate.
  • Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

I have every SMR I ever got. I'm holding them until they appreciate.

Like your Yaz collection, can you look up 1966 Topps Baseball set at EX5 in an old SMR and tell me the value, per my question?

Thanks

• Options
    I appreciate the compliment.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well played sir.....well played.

Kevin

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $3,700 in the Feb 2012 issue.

$3,695 in the Sept. 2013 issue.

$3,734 in the June 2016 issue.

$3,734 in the July 2016 issue.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100

This why we collect for fun!!
  • Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Thanks, cards appreciated some, but not much.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Mickey Mays

LMAO, 34 bucks in 4 and a half years!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint column is up just over 22k or 30%.

If you want to have fun collect lower grades. If you want to make money you have to go for the bigger grades. It is really that simple.
  • Options

The mint column is up just over 22k or 30%.

If you want to have fun collect lower grades. If you want to make money you have to go for the bigger grades. It is really that simple.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

LMAO, 34 bucks in 4 and a half years!

But $39 in less then three years.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an issue from Oct. 2007 with George Brett on the cover.

1966 set in EX 5- $3,839
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Is there a valid reason people are treating this new member with such sarcasm and discourtesy?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    It may be because nobody, but nobody, would use SMR as an accurate tool for assessing the appreciation of cards. Why use a butter knife to perform surgery if there's a scalpel available?
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    $3839/598=$6.41 per card. It costs more than $6.25 to grade each card, so it is a losing proposition to grade a set in PSA 5.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    But assuming that this is a new member, reentering the hobby, isn't the decent thing to do to explain this to him rather than belittle his questions?

Many people on this board lament that the forum has gone downhill. If every potentially new member is treated in such a manner, what hope is there that it will ever improve?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gregmo32

But assuming that this is a new member, reentering the hobby, isn't the decent thing to do to explain this to him rather than belittle his questions?

Many people on this board lament that the forum has gone downhill. If every potentially new member is treated in such a manner, what hope is there that it will ever improve?

I agree with Greg, BUT the problem is there are so many alts playing games that many of the regular members on this board have become leery of who is posting. In general, I just don't respond to those threads. I will usual respond to someone who starts their first post with "Hi my name is so and so. I collect this and that. What do you guys think about this or can you help me out with this?" But very few of these threads start that way, so most people are leery of who is posting and playing games with them.

JMHO,

Donato

Edited for spelling.
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mjohnatgt
    Ask a real question, get a real answer. Ask a dumb question, get the peanut gallery.

This

• Options
    Originally posted by: divecchia

Originally posted by: gregmo32

I agree with Greg, BUT the problem is there are so many alts playing games that many of the regular members on this board have become leery of who is posting. In general, I just don't respond to those threads. I will usual respond to someone who starts their first post with "Hi my name is so and so. I collect this and that. What do you guys think about this or can you help me out with this?" But very few of these threads start that way, so most people are leery of who is posting and playing games with them.

JMHO,

Donato

Edited for spelling.

This is exactly it. I don't think we responded the same to LOTSOS, for instance.

• Options
    That's right I ask dumb questions but I still got a fruit basket from the welcome committee.

Kevin

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I think there should be a no lardhead policy as well.
  • Options
    Dnice- How about picking out a different user name and then getting back to us. Nice isn't part of your makeup, obviously.
    It was a completely legit question, asking if anyone had any old SMR issues.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    DanBessette- BTW, might want to take a good hard look at some of your posts.
    If anything is dumb, its asking 100 times if anyone has a 1982 Yaz PSA 9 for sale.

Not trying to make enemies, or friends I guess, but sometimes you just have to call it like you see it.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    I have old SMR issues going back a few years feel free to PM or email me

Jeff
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Harvak

Possibly this situation kinda just goes in a circle.

A. New guy joins.

B. Somebody who's life depends on being associated to the message board jumps in and mocks them for because they are new.

C. These same people then ensure they write suck up 'that card is great' posts to elders and other message board lifer threads in order to ensure they get help. A troubling aspect is many do fall for it. So then ya got a little posse of people all goobering after new people. The elders or fellow message board for life people then also commence burning the new person.

E. The new guy though won't put up with being ridiculed by what he considers. in many cases, a doof troupe, and unfortunately falls for it and retaliates. Goes to far. Gets banned.

F. The message board lifer guy then wins, feels proud and laughs with his brethren message board fellows.

G. The normal person who had joined to enjoy the hobby etc.. a normal man, without disability, medication requirements, or other detrimental brain aspect, by human nature would get upset. Would weigh options. Then in some cases, may rejoin.

H. This is how ALTs are instantly built. The same folks who's lives depend on being message board gods need to ensure alts exists so they can continue their reign. So they keep ripping on new people.

I. These people need this. This is what they want. It is their life. When the banned person rejoins, they then start actually salivating and PMing their kind.

To fix: Ban the real trolls, the ones that attack new people and start the problem wheels spinning. Allow the new person to post stuff, no matter how stupid it is for a bit. If it doesn't clear up after a while, then squeal to the mods and get them banned. If it does clear up, then you got a normal healthy card collector that has joined the mix.

Two cents. Didn't refer to anyone directly. Any rules broken ? hmmm

I would have thought autobiography, but the whole normal person thing threw me for a loop.

Edit spelling.

Kevin

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things are getting salty...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Darin
    Dnice- How about picking out a different user name and then getting back to us. Nice isn't part of your makeup, obviously.
    It was a completely legit question, asking if anyone had any old SMR issues.

Oh Darin ..Darin ...Darin - sure, I'll play along and bite. Not that your opinion has ever meant anything to me but the fact is that you have NEVER had a conversation with me so your 'opinion' (because that’s exactly what is) warrants no justification when I am sure plenty of others would disagree with you. You really know nothing of me or what goes on behind closed doors so it's probably better that you just simply mind your own business on this one. Heck, I'll tell you what, you can even call me Dmean if that makes you sleep better at night. It makes no differance to me. I cross my heart, but asking silly questions like how much would a 1966 Topps Baseball cards set appreciate in say 5%, 7% or 10% a year is mind blowing. What kind of answer would one truly expect? Obviously I wasn’t the only one who thought it was a ridiculous and silly question as it became the spoof question of the year.

Yours truly,
    Dnice or Dmean if it makes you feel better
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I hope my response was not meant as a dig!!
  • Options

If anything is dumb, its asking 100 times if anyone has a 1982 Yaz PSA 9 for sale.

Not trying to make enemies, or friends I guess, but sometimes you just have to call it like you see it.

Find me one that's untilted and I'll take it down image

Also pretty sure I never called anybody "dumb."
  • Options

Hadn't bumped it in 3 days, but bumped it now, just for you. From now on I'll make sure to bump it every single day (per the rules) until I either find the card or my "dumbness" drives you insane.
  • Options

This goes out to a select few who responded on this thread:

Simply because you "know everything," doesn't mean someone's question is dumb or deserves this kind of response. It's very simple: if you have nothing positive to add, then don't post. Move on if it so bothers you to read a simple question.

I shouldn't even have to post this message - but I found many of your responses and attitude ridiculous and childish.

If you cannot be positive and polite, then you are not welcome on these boards. Period.

Take care,
    Forum Admin

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    Dnice- I guess I'll mind my own business when you and others stop picking on newbies when they have a legitimate question.

Its annoying when dpeck and myself and a couple others were trying to be helpful but other regular posters were being so disrespectful of the OP.
    I hope you and Dan Bessette clearly read the sports moderators post and take it to heart.

And I'll keep it polite from now on also, as per the sports moderators wishes.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: SportsModerator1

This goes out to a select few who responded on this thread:

Simply because you "know everything," doesn't mean someone's question is dumb or deserves this kind of response. It's very simple: if you have nothing positive to add, then don't post. Move on if it so bothers you to read a simple question.

I shouldn't even have to post this message - but I found many of your responses and attitude ridiculous and childish.

If you cannot be positive and polite, then you are not welcome on these boards. Period.

Take care,
    Forum Admin

Post of the Year.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I hope you and Dan Bessette clearly read the sports moderators post and take it to heart.

+1000

And add spinfadesplash23 and TNP777 to the list for their threads harassing the new member.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Harvak

Possibly this situation kinda just goes in a circle.

A. New guy joins.

B. Somebody who's life depends on being associated to the message board jumps in and mocks them for because they are new.

C. These same people then ensure they write suck up 'that card is great' posts to elders and other message board lifer threads in order to ensure they get help. A troubling aspect is many do fall for it. So then ya got a little posse of people all goobering after new people. The elders or fellow message board for life people then also commence burning the new person.

E. The new guy though won't put up with being ridiculed by what he considers. in many cases, a doof troupe, and unfortunately falls for it and retaliates. Goes to far. Gets banned.

F. The message board lifer guy then wins, feels proud and laughs with his brethren message board fellows.

G. The normal person who had joined to enjoy the hobby etc.. a normal man, without disability, medication requirements, or other detrimental brain aspect, by human nature would get upset. Would weigh options. Then in some cases, may rejoin.

H. This is how ALTs are instantly built. The same folks who's lives depend on being message board gods need to ensure alts exists so they can continue their reign. So they keep ripping on new people.

I. These people need this. This is what they want. It is their life. When the banned person rejoins, they then start actually salivating and PMing their kind.

To fix: Ban the real trolls, the ones that attack new people and start the problem wheels spinning. Allow the new person to post stuff, no matter how stupid it is for a bit. If it doesn't clear up after a while, then squeal to the mods and get them banned. If it does clear up, then you got a normal healthy card collector that has joined the mix.

Two cents. Didn't refer to anyone directly. Any rules broken ? hmmm

I think we all know who you're talking about here.

• Options

I think the real question is whether you're a bear, a bull, or a pig.

Also, hopefully you don't make investment decisions for a living.

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Speak to us ol' lips that never chap!
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I have an issue from Oct. 2007 with George Brett on the cover.

Sounds like an awesome issue!

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

+1000

And add spinfadesplash23 and TNP777 to the list for their threads harassing the new member.

Harassing, Patrick? Really? Is that what a couple of silly spoof threads are to you? Nothing about either thread was mean-spirited in the least. They were silly. Nothing more, nothing less.

So go cast your bait elsewhere. I'm not swallowing your attempt to get me to respond in such a fashion that allows you to try to get me thrown off CU and/or dip into your screenshot archive.

Good day to you, sir.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TNP777

.......Good day to you, sir.

When CU was really CU during the CarolJ days, the Geordie I knew would have totally farted in you general direction.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the thread that brought up my question about being banned. 4 IDs in one post.

Mike