Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need advice on camera upgrade

OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
About to replace my 15-year-old Nikon D100 camera body with a somewhat newer model, most likely a gently used D300 or D300S. In addition to fitting into my budget, I like that they both support live view, which should make it easier to photograph coins. Since I only need the body, I've been looking at several on ebay that could fill the bill, some that come with software and some that don't. I'm guessing that I will need the Nikon software to take advantage of that function, but want to make sure. My photo processing program is Adobe Lightroom 5.5, if that makes any difference. Have always been able to rely on great advice from the members here on my previous photo (and coin) questions. Thanks.
Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Comments

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a site I find helpful.
    Ken Rockwell's site has a section on recommended cameras.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure what used D300's run but you might look at the D7100/D7200. They would have much better live view performance.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume your lenses are full frame (current terminology is FX as opposed to the cropped frame DX lenses) so either the D610 or D750 would be good candidates for an "upgrade." I personally have the newer D750 which came out in September of 2014. Buying used though you might want to avoid D750s built during the first 6 months of production as I believe I recall some type of problem in the early production. I am sure if you Google you can get the details. I see that B&H Photo is now offering the body new for approximately $1500 while closer to $2000 has been the street price in the past and is still a commonly advertised price from other sellers. I have no idea what the body is selling for used.

Although I have not taken advantage of it yet (since I have a separate camcorder that shoots in 3D which I prefer) the D750 also has full HD Video capability with 1080P. There were many excellent reviews that came out in late 2014 and in 2015 and the D750 was arguably the best prosumer full frame camera on the market and has some features that are superior to the professional models from Nikon of same time frame.

The D7100 and D7200 are also excellent cameras but they have smaller sensors and use the smaller sized and ofter lower quality DX lenses.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still using my D3100 purchased from a pawn shop for $250, and a Nikon 105mm Micro Nikkor, think I got it for $300.
    Decent results thus far. All about the glass and lighting.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still prefer my Nikon CoolPix over the Leica M with Macro lens. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have any DX lenses you were using with the D100, they are not meant to work with a full-frame body like the D300. Also, you don't need the Nikon software to control the camera. I'm using ControlMyNikon, which is better and very inexpensive.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the Nikon's discussed also work with digiCamControl (http://digicamcontrol.com/) - the 7100/7200 support bulb and recording movies, the 3100/3200 do not (but this use case has limited relevance to coin photography).
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file