Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Start with a yard sale purchase

billewhitebillewhite Posts: 21
Good evening everyone.I'm getting back into collecting;after a 16 year break.I had to sell off my entire collection all those years ago for my daughter and now decided;to start back collecting again.I researched online forums after my purchase and decided this looked like a great one to join.

My wife,the kids,and myself like spending time rummaging through stuff at yard sales and we stumbled upon a big sized collection;about a week and a half ago.With being out for so long I really had no idea the values of things;boy have I been busy doing a crash course! I was going to pass like I normally do;but my wife told me to buy it that I should start collecting again.So I did.The family was asking $750 for everything which I knew should be a great price.I recognized some sets and knew they were pretty good.Example the 2000 Topps Limited Edition factory set and a complete 1996 Finest baseball complete set with all the golds and silvers plus some of the refractors.I had reservations since it was so big and there was a lot of what I remembered being junk stuff.

After some conversation we learned the family was moving and had no room to take it with them.I had my eye on a snow blower too;I'll admit I don't like shoveling snow and my wife pipes up "We'll take them if you throw in the snow blower".We made arrangements to pick them up after a bank trip and I am now back collecting.The sorting is fun but it's really time consuming.So I'll share some pictures with you all and will add more the more I dig through it all.If you see anything you like let me know and if you think there would be a good market to move any of it here on the boards.

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the buy and welcome. Looks like you'll have your hands full for a bit sorting through everything!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    Originally posted by: LOTSOS

Congrats on the buy and welcome. Looks like you'll have your hands full for a bit sorting through everything!

Kevin

Thank you.I've been sorting and sorting and sorting.There was several more storage bins and a lot more boxes.I'll be adding more pictures tomorrow.I've found some Bryce Harpers, some Kobe Bryant rookie sets,and just uncovered a complete 1983 and 1985 Topps Baseball set. Sadly the McGwire is nowhere near what I remember.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Welcome back to the hobby. Have fun going thru your new collection. Let us know if you find any nice surprises. ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the snow blower!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

Welcome back to the hobby. Have fun going thru your new collection. Let us know if you find any nice surprises. ENJOY!

Thank you.The 1998 Bowman Chrome football set is really nice and well centered.The same with the 1994 SP football regular and die cut sets.I'll be updating with scans as often as I can. I don't think people want to see a bunch of storage bins so I plan on getting some singles uploaded.I'll be buying some price guides tomorrow cause I don't know if any of the stickered prices are close to be being right.

• Options
    Originally posted by: travis t

Congrats on the snow blower!

Thank you.It's a big Craftsman and doesn't look like it was used at all.I'm fairly sure it was $300-$400 brand new.Going to be way better than shoveling!

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a ton of fun!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MrNearMint

Looks like a ton of fun!

Yes it is! Until I get the guides I really have no idea what the newer stuff is worth;but there's a lot of rookie cards and inserts.I just found a whole box of nothing but Brett Favre inserts and rookies.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on what looks like a fun return to the hobby. Welcome back to collecting and welcome to these boards. You can also look up completed sales on eBay to get an idea of what cards are worth. I would encourage you to try selling on the Buy Sell Trade forum here. Realistically eBay is the biggest platform to sell cards these days.
    Steve
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya?image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    welcome

what no pic of he snow blower?

have fun with it
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nice job by the wifey negotiating. welcome
  • Options
    I'd be interested in any Andre Tippett cards. Also Brady and possibly Chris Carpenter and Dwight Evans.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price guides are a nice start to get a general price range but they are not the greatest to get real ballpark figures. As slum mentioned completed ebay sales and the website Vintage card prices are great ways to truly get good price points.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    VCP is only for graded cards.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on jumping back in "big time"! You will have a lot of fun for sure.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard! I love wading through collections like this.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. If you run into enough "junk' commons in your sorting and wish to dispose of them, I suppose you could always run them through the snow blower. Might start a new trend.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Thank you everyone.It's been very fun sorting it all;so far.I've dug out a few things and will be adding pictures once they upload to tinypic.I found some really cool things!
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Good way to find out values, search for the item in eBay and then search "sold listings".
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2016 4:55PM
    I've been taking stacks out of the boxes and have included a couple pictures.You may notice the 1971 Topps Rose.Super mis cut but the corners are sharp.The Unitas is much better.I've highlighted a few misc. single cards.The Lindor refractor auto was a nice find.The Hank Aaron memorabilia card got me fired up some.I found a nice 1997 Legends Gale Sayers auto and a Leaf Limited Jim Brown auto with jersey piece.I've found a few Bryce Harper rookies and prospect cards.I was also excited to find a couple Mike Trout rookie cards too.I'll be trying to keep updating with more and more pictures as fast as I can.I can't call off work to sort though cards though.Even though it would be nice if I could.Wife just told me as I'm typing this she found 2 ungraded 1984 Topps Marino rookie cards and one graded PSA9 and about 10 Marino jersey cards! Pictures of those will be added soon.
  • Options
    Seems like a lot of fun. Enjoy the journey and keep letting us know what you find.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    That Aaron memorabilia card is great!
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your new cards.
  • Options
    Congrats...nice find.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2016 4:55PM

Finally have time to update this post.I'm going to upload some more pictures and also will be starting a sale thread.I pretty much have it all gone through.Just in the pictures stages.Thank you all for commenting.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Here are your pics. This board takes some getting used to, but one thing that is super handy is the ability to just drag and drop existing images from your computer files without formatting them. If you want to post a pic that's not already on your computer, you need to insert some html. I did it like this:

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Nice score!!

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

he took a few others for the proverbial ride, as well.

and kinda laughing that you made those bbce case breaks for cu members only?!?!

the irony is palpable.

• Options

@djr said:
    This is a public service message for CU members. Today, I filed a Paypal complaint and claim today against this CU member billewhite aka billywhite701@yahoo.com aka Billy White. The Paypal claim message stated, ''Your seller is currently unable to respond to this dispute. By escalating your dispute to a claim, you are asking PayPal to review the case and decide the outcome.'' This left me no choice but to immediately escalate. I used Paypal and funded the purchase w/ a credit card but so far have not received the boxes (1) '93 Finest and (4) '90 Leaf, no tracking provided, and no communication for 11 days since purchase. If / when the boxes arrive, I will modify this post and update.

DJR......

I have a similar issue with the same seller. He goes by Billiewhite here on the boards. He offered to sell me two cards on October 29 for $110. I promptly paid with Paypal that day. After about a week went by I asked for a tracking #. He sent one, but as of this writing the tracking # still only shows the label was printed off and the USPS is awaiting the package. It has been 21 days since I paid for the purchase, so today I e-mailed and PM'ed him a demand letter for either a refund or the merchandise. No word yet.

• Options

@muffins said:

the irony is palpable.

I don't get the case break dig. Just because he ran a case break a certain way you are laughing. That's pretty petty of you.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@muffins said:

the irony is palpable.

I don't get the case break dig. Just because he ran a case break a certain way you are laughing. That's pretty petty of you.

Ugh oh...... I smell a bakery battle royal coming.

Kevin

• Options

@LOTSOS said:

@Cakes said:

@muffins said:

the irony is palpable.

Ugh oh...... I smell a bakery battle royal coming.

No, no, no, I cannot keep up with Muffins when it comes to jokes, that's one funny dude. I just don't get it, but alas, I digress.

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Any updates here on Billiewhite?

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@billewhite said:
    I researched online forums after my purchase and decided this looked like a great one to job.

Could we discuss further that blower you discovered......

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Francart said:

No, I hope everyone gets made whole on their card and bullion purchases.

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:

@Francart said:

No, I hope everyone gets made whole on their card and bullion purchases.

Very doubtful for me at least. I was dumb enough to pay through Paypal gift using bank account funding. Doesnt mean I won't keep trying.

• Options

That really sucks.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

I was wondering since this guy actually sent me a tracking number and it is showing up in the USPS system. If in some way it would constitute mail fraud ? The tracking number still shows the USPS is awaiting to receive the package and that it was insured.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Dumb question...i thought paypal f and f was not allowed to be offered on these boards for transactions? I have seen more and more bst ads asking for gift. Everytime i see this it is a red flag for me.

• Options

@djr said:
    Paypal refunded my total purchase price this AM to credit card.

Sorry tennesseebanker and the others that used Paypal F&F. :/

Congrats DJR ! Glad to hear someone is stickin to this turd. As for me I'm just handing out money.

• Options

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Dumb question...i thought paypal f and f was not allowed to be offered on these boards for transactions? I have seen more and more bst ads asking for gift. Everytime i see this it is a red flag for me.

I don't think CU has any control on how payment is received for transactions. They may have made a suggestion not to use it in the past. I've used it every since it became a payment option, and never had an issue until now.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

I don't remember CU having any involvement in that. Kinda falls under "buyer beware".
    I use f and f to sellers that I have bought from in the past. For brand new members selling something I want....I would use reg. PP and add 3% or just pass on the item.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Makes sense