Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help with CBH varieties.

These two coins were attributed by our host and I do not agree. Maybe I am wrong! I will post their opinion after the CBH experts chime in.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both appear to be the O-106 for each respective year. (The 1817 definitely is; I'm not as positive about the 1832.)
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1817 looks to have the reverse milling characteristics of an O.106, but it might have the single leaf characteristic of an O.106a. If it has the single leaf then I would use that to trump the milling and call it an O.106a. I'll check the 1832 if I have time.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    The 1817 is the single leaf.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1817 qualifies as the single-leaf O.106a, IMO. It is worth returning to have it properly attributed even though PCGS bb'd it for cleaning (the hairlines in the left obverse, I suppose).

The 1832 was properly attributed as an O.118 but I am a little surprised it straight-graded due to the obverse damage. I am not sure I would have spent the money to have it graded.

Lance.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me the 1817 is a 106A, with the single leaf

& the die crack thru the left wing tip to U, but not

yet continuing thru UNITED to the D.

The 1832 small letter best fits the O-118 with the vertical

die line at the lips & the double left corner of the shield.

This piece is shown in CoinFacts.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Lance, slow down,,,I can't type as fast as you. ( smiley face )
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

The 1817 qualifies as the single-leaf O.106a, IMO. It is worth returning to have it properly attributed even though PCGS bb'd it for cleaning (the hairlines in the left obverse, I suppose).

The 1832 was properly attributed as an O.118 but I am a little surprised it straight-graded due to the obverse damage. I am not sure I would have spent the money to have it graded.

Lance.

• Options
    Thank you for the quick responses. I was wrong on the 1832. The 1817 should have been an 0-106a.

Both coins were bought raw for less than $300 and were sent in with my 8 free submissions. That is the reason for the submissions and true views. The 1817 is going back.

Thank you again

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file