Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When a nuclear snipe gets nuked

So PWCC closed its vintage Hockey auction tonight. Over all I went 5 for 7 (would have been 6 for 7 but two auctions closed so close together I couldn't click over fast enough which sucks and a seperate post all to its self) and overall I'm pleased with the outcome. BUT.... My nuclear snipe got nuked.

In general I'm a sniper. If I see something I want I decide how much I want it and what I'd be comfortable paying. 99.9% of the times I want the card more than most so I have only been out bid on two occasions that I really would have paid more but the snipe price I entered seemed so safe that I didn't think more would be required. I guess this last one was my wake up call to the big leagues.

I bid on a card that was a 10 pop 4 at over 10 times its price with 2 secs left in the auction. The wheel started spinning...... And spinning.... And ........ I lost.

So if you are that guy that nuked me congrats! No hard feelings at all. You taught me an important lesson. Never assume you want something more than anyone else. Also if your reading this please open up your set registry for others to enjoy and see.

Kevin

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Kevin,

I know that feeling all too well.

I will point out that what you describe is the exact reason why people do not open up their set registry for all to see.

Once that happens, instead of the "over-nuclear snipe" being a very rare occurrence, it becomes closer to the norm.

There are too many scenarios in which everyone else in the world knowing what you want/need leads to your paying such incredibly inflated prices that it makes no sense to let the public view your collection.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I also have a pretty strong win percentage and have only done manual snipes during the last ten seconds or less. However, the last few times I've placed bids they didn't go through and I lost out on a few cards I'm pretty sure I would have won had they gone through.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gregmo32

Kevin,

I know that feeling all too well.

I will point out that what you describe is the exact reason why people do not open up their set registry for all to see.

Once that happens, instead of the "over-nuclear snipe" being a very rare occurrence, it becomes closer to the norm.

There are too many scenarios in which everyone else in the world knowing what you want/need leads to your paying such incredibly inflated prices that it makes no sense to let the public view your collection.

Greg,

I get what your saying but short of shill bidding or someone buying to block you are there any other reasons that I'm missing? (And I'm not saying that those two reasons aren't enough all on there own to keep a set private).

Shilling to me is a boarder line criminal offense if it's done by the owner or on their behalf. And buying to block just seems unsportsmanlike, which I'm certain doesn't bother way more people than it should.

It is a "competition" to some extent for some people. And clearly it is to those that keep theirs private. If it wasn't a competition why bother listing the set? And I can't think of many forms of competition where you aren't able to see a competitors product/score/or results yet still be "competing". At the very least PSA should require that the top set be shown. If there is a bar set you should know how high you need to jump.

I guess I haven't been doing this long enough to get jaded. Perhaps that day will come. Until then it's still sunshine and rainbows.

Kevin

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 10?

Was this the card you were trying to win?

• Options
    No it was this one:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/401189945867

****Correction: I also just realized I embellished slightly. I thought it was at $10 when I bid but it was at $16 when I tried to snipe to $110.

Kevin

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4SC can't even get $2.99 for a PSA 9. There is almost 100% probability this is a registry buyer or the player himself. image

It is interesting to see that five of the top eight sets are private.

There are only 134 PSA 10's from the entire set which is less than 1% of all submitted.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few people are out there collecting the set seriously and haven't registered their sets.

My friend Alan sold his set a few years ago and another very serious collector who had dumped tons of money into getting to the top spot sold his too right before the Gretzky exploded.
  • Options
    That's why I thought my bid would be safe but......wrong. Like I said in another post I won't be pulling out all the stops on this set. I will be trying to be an opportunist to improve it because of how iconic that year is to hockey and such a transition year for the sport.

Well one of the top 5 won't be private by late tonight. The wife has a work dinner to attend and after I get the kids to bed I'm going to finally get mine up. Again since I'm new and haven't crunched the numbers I'm assuming I'll be in the top 5 but the whole pop bonus thing still could change that. We"ll see.

Which raises a question. The upload page on PSA says you can scan (bar code)the cards in but I don't see anyway to do that am I missing something? That would make entering a 264 card set a hell of a lot faster.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I guess you could say this Fidler went over your roof.
  • Options
    I'd have that card if..

If I were a rich man,

Daidle deedle daidle

Daidle daidle deedle daidle dumb...

Kevin

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LOTSOS...........The wife has a work dinner to attend and after I get the kids to bed I'm going to finally get mine up.........

Ewwww

• Options

Kevin

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Fidler is one of the easier 10s in the set. I think $112 is fair. Never know where 10s will go with this set. This used to be a $350 card.
  • Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain! It has happened to me as well.
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have used ebay for any length of time, this will happen. Still a bummer though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

Fidler is one of the easier 10s in the set. I think $112 is fair. Never know where 10s will go with this set. This used to be a $350 card.

This Fidler went for $350? Was that at a lower pop or still at pop 4?

Also on a seperate note your signature says your looking for "89 Topps hockey. I'm just being nosey hoping for a good story but why that particular year and brand?

Kevin

• Options
    Originally posted by: LOTSOS

Originally posted by: MULLINS5

This Fidler went for $350? Was that at a lower pop or still at pop 4?

Also on a seperate note your signature says your looking for "89 Topps hockey. I'm just being nosey hoping for a good story but why that particular year and brand?

Not sure if it's this particular Fidler, but it was selling in the $350 range back in 2004/2005. I believe the POP has stayed where it is for a long time, but it is considered one of the easiest cards in the set to get a 10. I haven't looked in so long, but I wonder which cards now have the highest POP in GEM MINT?

1989 Topps is my favorite year/issue! 1989 Topps Hockey Project I'm starting a 1990 PRO SET Hockey registry set from self pulled/subbed cards next year. Have about 60 unopened boxes ready to rip image

• Options
    Wanna see a nuclear snipe get nuked? This is a $30 book. Mice Men
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I have had many failed manual snipes lately, I think my wifi is the issue
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set