Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Are modern (1960ish forward) non silver crown size coins popular?

Just wondering. There are quite a lot of them and they seem "quasi-monetary."

Edited to add:

For example, I have a Gibraltar 1971 25 New Pence, which is the colony's first decimal crown. It seems a bit like a commem, but it's copper nickel and has a "value" in real terms.

Comments

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I do not think that they are very popular. The 1965 Churchill Crown honors one of the most significant people of the 20th Century and you can get one for just a few bucks.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1
    I do not think that they are very popular. The 1965 Churchill Crown honors one of the most significant people of the 20th Century and you can get one for just a few bucks.

I got mine (in lustrous AU55 or so) from a junk box for 25 cents.

Over the years I bought a number of circulated clad crowns that commemorated royal weddings, anniversaries and such. "Popular" is not a word I'd use to describe them.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The snake is back? Wonderful.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They must have been popular back in the day (mid 1960s to early 1970s) as there are so many of them. I think that was the peak in popularity of coin collecting, so it makes sense.

But they surely aren't popular anymore. Even the silver ones mostly trade for melt.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ajaan

Wow! It's true! This is not a resurrected thread!

Welcome back, O Snakey Shiroh-san!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Originally posted by: ajaan

Wow! It's true! This is not a resurrected thread!

Welcome back, O Snakey Shiroh-san!

Vielen Danke, tout le monde.

My recent hobby of correcting text for the Daily Alta California archives posted on line by the University of California led me to some numismatic news from the 1860s, and that led me back here.

Victoria ain't a baby no more, and neither are either of my two daughters. The older one used to tag along with me to the Long Beach shows, and recently she said she'd go again (as long as we go to lunch at the Islands restaurant across the street like we used to).
    Obscurum per obscurius