Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

New to Collecting

Front

I am new to collecting and am having trouble figuring out the FR. numbers for differnt currency errors. Is this bill a FR. 1981?

Charles

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Fr.1981 is a series 1988A $5 FRN......I am unable to get your link to work.

Welcome to Collectors Universe.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!

Surprisingly, in this the information age, there is not an online FR look up system (at least one I've ever found). One would think someone would have done this by now. There are several good reference sites for other aspects of currency, like serial numbers, but not FR numbers.

Here are a couple reference sites for serials:

US PaperMoney Info

Star Note Lookup
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum Charles
  • Options
    outtacashouttacash Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    you can look on ebay too for pics of all kinds of notes and FR #'s
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options

I appreciate the help!

Can you tell me what the FR. numbers would be for this dollar bill?

Thank you for your help with the $5.00 Bill.
  • Options
    You should buy the Freidberg book.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." Henry David Thoreau
    twitter: @ActionCurrency
    web: www.actioncurrency.com
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Chuckusp45

I appreciate the help!

Can you tell me what the FR. numbers would be for this dollar bill?

Thank you for your help with the $5.00 Bill.

FR numbers do not change based upon a note being an error, or not. Specifically, FR numbers are tied to the series on the note (year, or year with a letter), the denomination and, for Federal Reserve Notes, the district (A1 to L12). So, this error note's FR number is the same as one just like it without the error. I can't see the series number in your photos, but I can see it is from Atlanta.

So the FR number will be xxxx-F. If it is a star note, it would be xxxx-F*
    Mike
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    test out my theory, take my advice and go to ebay... give it a try... its free
  • Options
    MAM0912MAM0912 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Since that $1 error note has the signature of William E. Simon, it's Series is 1974 and the Fr# is 1908-F or 1908-F* for a star note.
    Marty

US Obsoletes esp NJ, WEB Notes,

National Iron Bank of Morristown (#1113) and Irish Currency
  • Options
    Thank you BOIMRE1972 for the explanation, the book I have is United States Paper Money Errors and it was not clear how the Fr numbers were generated.

I appreciate everyones help.

Chas

• Options
    Originally posted by: Chuckusp45
    Thank you BOIMRE1972 for the explanation, the book I have is United States Paper Money Errors and it was not clear how the Fr numbers were generated.

I appreciate everyones help.

Chas

Glad to help.
    Mike
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    "Paper Money of the United States" by Arthur and Ira Friedberg can be found on Amazon.com and is a reference book I feel all collectors of U.S. paper money should own.

Welcome to the forum!
    Matt
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    For small size notes (errors or not), Friedberg numbers are pretty much irrelevant. Only the TPGs use the Friedberg numbers on small size. All small size reference works use type (FRN, FRBN, USN, SC, etc.), denomination, series and variety to identify notes.

If you want to get the Friedberg reference for free, you can join the PCGS Currency Collectors Club at the Gold or Platinum levels and they will send you a copy of Friedberg along with either 6 or 15 free submissions.