Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Picked up a recent NEWP... It's in the mail.

Discuss this?

I understand popularity, however I believe as US coins become more expensive, more will gravitate towards the darkside as many of the comparable errors are a fraction of the US counterpart.

This is discussing major mint errors to include off-metals, wrong metals, double denominations (often decades between the two coins)

Post some of your favorite errors....
WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I agree 100%. I feel that I get far more 'bang for the buck' from world coins these days.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1
    I agree 100%. I feel that I get far more 'bang for the buck' from world coins these days.

Yup, that why I've been a life long Darksider image

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    NEWP...

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darksides are often as interesting as US, but fraction of the cost.

There's not much to discuss. This is the understatement of the week. image

Preachin' to the choir, you are! image

Except I say that Darksides are often MUCH MORE interesting than US, at a fraction of the cost.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I am growing on the darkside.

the costa rica 5 centavos struck on 2 centavos is cool. given the 42 year difference. I see this as similar to the rarities of the US mint that cost thousands.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can say this about patterns, as well, and I'm not just talking those modern "fantasy" patterns.

I've got a Darkside pattern in my crosshairs right now, and hope to make it the next addition to my Box of 20.

A US pattern of the same year, in similar grade, would cost somewhere in the low five figures, I have little doubt.

The one I'm looking at is under four hundred bucks.

It is drop-dead gorgeous, high Specimen grade, killer toning, and has a beautiful design.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    You can say this about patterns, as well, and I'm not just talking those modern "fantasy" patterns.

I've got a Darkside pattern in my crosshairs right now, and hope to make it the next addition to my Box of 20.

A US pattern of the same year, in similar grade, would cost somewhere in the low five figures, I have little doubt.

The one I'm looking at is under four hundred bucks.

It is drop-dead gorgeous, high Specimen grade, killer toning, and has a beautiful design.

I agree about the patterns. some of the old mexico patterns are exceptionally rare, and very inexpensive in comparison.

I once had 8-10 us patterns, they are neat. but very hard to sell.