Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Public service announcement two high dollar fake packs

I hope no one is bidding on this one but thought I'd call attention to it to make sure. The classic decision of you have a $10k+ double Michael Jordan rookie pack so of course you send it to Atlas for your grading:

bid at your own peril Jordan

The other one is tougher to spot as I'm sure a lot of folks here are fairly trusting of the high dollar PWCC auctions but I'd steer clear here too:
Bad Sandberg PSA 10 pack
Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious as to why you feel the "Bad Sandberg PSA 10 pack" is fake? I'm always trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    I was just looking at that Sandberg pack last night...interesting...I didn't bid yet, but maybe that's a good thing. What seems off about it? Thanks for the input.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about the sandberg either. Is it because it has wrinkled cellophane on the front and not wrapped tight enough maybe?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    This thread needs a little Grote15....Tim...take'er away lol.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, Jimmy.

1983 cellos are loosely wrapped to begin with. Sandberg is from "B" sheet which is typically found on bottom half of a 1983 cello. However, the card on bottom (Lillis) is from the D sheet, which is typically found on top half of a 1983 cello pack, so it may be an aberration from the factory. You'd have to open the pack to confirm if that is the case~if all cards on top half are from low letter (A-C) sheets and all cards on bottom half of the pack are from high letter (D-F) sheets.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gemyanks10
    I was just looking at that Sandberg pack last night...interesting...I didn't bid yet, but maybe that's a good thing. What seems off about it? Thanks for the input.

Yes as Tim said the Sandberg is typically a bottom of the pack showing card so that alone is enough for me to pass on the auction. Tim makes a good point about the bottom card typically being a top showing card so it could be possible that it's real but for my PSA 10 money the probability isn't high enough.

Speaking of 1983 PSA 10 rookies though this one left my bid in the dust and was a new record sale:
    PSA 10 Gwynn
  • Options
    Interesting stuff thank you guys. Now, this is not intended to bad mouth anyone or insight a riot as we know that is easily done here sometimes. My only intention is to learn and ask questions, but as you guys stated, the probability of having a card like this on top isn't an everyday occurrence. Why would Steve authenticate it if there's even the slightest of chance that it could be homemade? Again, not saying he did, and maybe he knows more than us? I just feel that if there is even the slightest of doubt that it may not be authentic, I don't think I could put my name on it....unopened is so tough.

That Gywnn pack is amazing...I didn't even see that.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Not to hijack the thread, but in regards to the Atlas Grading, which is obvious a basement type setup, is there any place to send packs to get
    them authenticated without grading? I have some 1986-87 and 1987-88 packs of Fleer basketball and would like them authenticated, but really
    dont care about grade and hate to pay a grading fee, have them travel the country three times and wait months for them to come back
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    You can get PSA to grade packs simply Authentic, but you're subject to all the things you're trying to avoid. In 1983, it became more common to see sheet groupings reversed in cello packs. .. baseball and football. It was also common to see sheet groupings switched in the racks with cardboard headers. But when buying packs with stars showing, I would stick to the standard. But the seal looks legit to me on that one, you see where the roller "shrunk" the middle and gives it that smooth appearance.
  • Options
    How can a psa 10 pack in the newer holder be fake? Your explaination says "typically" not always. I don't care about the card just trying to understand your rationale here. You really think 1. There are no packs w a Sandberg on top. And 2. You can grade a pack in a photo better than PSA can in person?
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JJCTHE1

You can grade a pack in a photo better than PSA can in person?

I've seen some atrocious Mattingly autos slabbed by PSA/DNA.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mtcards
    Not to hijack the thread, but in regards to the Atlas Grading, which is obvious a basement type setup, is there any place to send packs to get
    them authenticated without grading? I have some 1986-87 and 1987-88 packs of Fleer basketball and would like them authenticated, but really
    dont care about grade and hate to pay a grading fee, have them travel the country three times and wait months for them to come back

BBCE has wrapped wax in multiples and put their sticker on them to authenticate. Not sure if they still do this, but they definitely won't wrap single packs, as it's a direct conflict with PSA
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JJCTHE1
    How can a psa 10 pack in the newer holder be fake? Your explaination says "typically" not always. I don't care about the card just trying to understand your rationale here. You really think 1. There are no packs w a Sandberg on top. And 2. You can grade a pack in a photo better than PSA can in person?

Yes typically not always... it could very well be legit. I'm suggesting enough doubt for me not to spend the money to buy it because of the probability both packs might suspect.

1. No, I know there are some where this has happened.
    2. Yes, sometimes I can. I recently had to send them 6 packs back because they clearly mislabeled the star showing and I could see that in picture or person better than they could. I also have a Favre stadium club rookie pack they label as the Super Bowl version and when I pointed it out to them it wasn't it was the regular version they said I was incorrect... Which I know I am not incorrect they are. Plus several more instances where I have alerted them to errors in their grading which do happen from time time.
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Sheet patterns as they relate to cello packs seems to be a forbidden subject around here... I usually stay away if the pack doesn't match the "typical" pattern.