Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Which is better? A PSA 8 or a PSA 9 (MC) or (OC)?

And what if the card in question is a very tough non-sports card?

here are the specifics:

1976 Star Trek sticker

Card number 10. There are zero 10's. There are zero 9's. There is 1 graded 9 with a Q. There are 15 graded 8.

Card number 21. Very similar. Zero 10's, zero 9's, 1 graded 9 with a Q, and only 7 graded PSA 8.

In these cases, would the 9 with a Q be the most desirable card in existence?

These stickers are really tough cards, because 1, they're stickers. Kids peeled them and stuck them to things. And 2, they came packaged with a stick of gum pressing against them in the wax pack, and many have big gum stains.

My thinking is that a 9 with a Q is basically a 10 except for the issue that garnered the qualifier.

Thoughts?

Comments

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if it's for any kind of registry the qualifier automatically drops it two grades. I found this out the hard way. For me personally it depends on the Card/ sticker itsself. If it's an OC I'd drop to a well centered 8. If it's a ST and its on the back I may take the 9 but other than that I'd lean well centered 8. Also a 9 with a Q is definetly not a 10, but that's just me.

Kevin

• A 9Q is not a 10 with an issue, it's a 9 with an issue. That's what the grade means. And to answer your question, I take the 8 NQ every single time.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thinking is that a 9 with a Q is basically a 10 except for the issue that garnered the qualifier.

The same could be said for many cards. I've had a lot of cards that were PSA 10s grade PSA 5 due to the tiniest surface wrinkle, which is a lot less noticeable than a card that is OC.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Plus how many of those straight Psa 8's would be 9Q's ?
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar decision earlier this year for a mid 1960s Cowboys Hall of Fame football card. In that case there were no 10s, no 9s, no 8.5s, two 8s, no 7.5s and thirteen 7s. I could see both 8s were locked up in top 5 set registry sets and unlikely to be available any time soon, so when a 9oc became available, I bought it. Had an 8 been available that presented well I'd have taken that over the 9oc if it didn't cost and arm and a leg more - which it likely would have. Lol
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    A 9Q is not a 10 with an issue, it's a 9 with an issue. That's what the grade means. And to answer your question, I take the 8 NQ every single time.

+1
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• As far as registries go, wouldn't these two examples be considered "the" highest graded card in existence? And don't registries get some sort of bonus for having the highest graded card? As such, that bonus should offset the registry penalty for the qualifier, right?

So, which is greater - the penalty for the Q, or bonus for highest graded card?
    Originally posted by: Rocknroll

As far as registries go, wouldn't these two examples be considered "the" highest graded card in existence? And don't registries get some sort of bonus for having the highest graded card? As such, that bonus should offset the registry penalty for the qualifier, right?

I don't think it matters as a card with a qualifier, for registry purposes, is downgraded by two full grades, so a PSA 9 with a qualifier cannot get a bonus if there are straight 8s in the pop report.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Originally posted by: grote15

As far as registries go, wouldn't these two examples be considered "the" highest graded card in existence? And don't registries get some sort of bonus for having the highest graded card? As such, that bonus should offset the registry penalty for the qualifier, right?

I don't think it matters as a card with a qualifier, for registry purposes, is downgraded by two full grades, so a PSA 9 with a qualifier cannot get a bonus if there are straight 8s in the pop report.

Tim is right.
  • Well, I just answered my own question. The registry points are deducted for the Q, and then 're-ranked', so it seems.

So, as these cards sit, according to the POP reports, they are the highest rated cards, with zero higher. But when added to a registry, the Q cards show a number of cards ranked higher, so they do not get the bonus.

Kind of dumb having a different set of rules for the registry, Imo, but whatever. Seems to me, it would make more sense that a 9 with a Q is a higher quality card than an 8, and should be ranked as such. Otherwise, PSA would've given it a lower grade. I know they've been doing this for 25 years, and I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it just doesn't seem right. Oh well. Bottom line, people collect for different reasons, and covet different qualities different than others. The registry is only one small piece in the collecting world.
    You keep saying the 9Q is the highest "ranked". A 9Q is not ranked higher than a 8. The population report is just that....a list of grades, not "ranked". Now when you put them in a registry for a set, the Qualifier has a negative impact.
  • Originally posted by: steel75

You keep saying the 9Q is the highest "ranked". A 9Q is not ranked higher than a 8. The population report is just that....a list of grades, not "ranked".

Exactly. You keep saying things like a 9Q is "basically a 10" and that it is better than a PSA 8. You're wrong. Listen to the PSA veterans in this thread who are explaining to you what a qualifier signifies. It's not just a registry rule, it's hobby wide and nearly a consensus. I have a PSA 9OC 1963 Fleer Yaz. It is not "basically a 10" and there was a reason I got it for less than most PSA 7's go for. Pay attention, please, and learn something.

• Originally posted by: mjohnatgt

The vast majority of collectors covet cards with no major flaws. OC, MC, ST, MK, PD etc on an otherwise Mint card are considered by most to be major flaws. If you don't agree, you will enjoy this a lot more because you will get cards you like better for a cheaper price. Not all 7s sell for the same price. Ones that are centered 50/50 will probably sell for double what a 75/25 card will sell for even though it's the same grade.

That you can buy an 8(OC) cheaper normally than a straight 6 is a testament to that, and is not just due to the set registry rules. It's due to losing 80% of interested buyers. People who don't mind OC/MC cards might do better off sending their cards to SGC or BVG/BGS since they don't give qualifiers, but may subtract grades because of it. I saw a guy who bought an SGC 30 (GOOD 2) that was a nice card with either a miscut back or had writing. They cracked it out, sent it to PSA, and it got a 7(Q). Probably doubled the value of the card just because of the differences in the grading companies.

But a 9(Q) is not "highest graded" if there are 8s or 8.5s. It may not make sense to you right now, but I'm sure it makes sense for 95% of PSA's customers.

Another PSA veteran giving it to you straight. He's right.
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
    Also, bear in mind that if you request "no qualifiers" on your sub, that PSA 9 with the qualifier will be almost always be graded a straight PSA 7, a NM card, not "basically a 10" by any measure.

• I never disagreed with anything that anybody said. I made a post, got some insight, then found more info and added to the conversation.

I thought this board was supposed to be friendly and helpful.
  • Just a different opinion here. Some psa 9(oc)'s are nicer than some psa 8's but that's rarely ever the case.

Here's a couple (approximate) guidelines to help you:

PSA 8 with no OC qualifier have a minimum 70/30 centering or better.

PSA 7 with no OC qualifier have a minimum of 80/20 centering or better.

Therefore it is not true at all that all psa 9(OC) cards will convert to a psa 7 if you were to request NQ's. It's possible that the same card would grade a 6 or worse if it's centering was worse than 80/20.

Not all oc qualifiers are the same. Some have centering nearing miscut and should technically be qualified that way but are not.

A PSA 9(oc) card just means that if it weren't for the bad centering, the card would be mint (or better in some cases when enough of the other attributes are gem mint quality).

Also, IMO the MC qualifier is way worse than the OC qualifier. Any PSA9(MC) would never convert into a PSA 7 btw.

Full disclosure: I like buying PSA 9 (oc) cards either a) when the price is right; or b) when the centering is just over the 70/30 threshold.

I never disagreed with anything that anybody said. I made a post, got some insight, then found more info and added to the conversation.

I thought this board was supposed to be friendly and helpful.

You wanted forum members info & opinions, then stuck to your original wrong premise regardless of what anyone said. So what was the point then? Population reports are not rankings.