Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Pop the champagne cork!

Transcription of the Smithsonian's scanned collection of National Bank Note proof sheets from the BEP has been completed! Tonight I reviewed and approved the last of the Wyoming proofs. So unless there are some out-of-order boxes still to be posted, I believe that wraps up this project -- which has taken well over a year to finish.

This has been a great education for me (and others, I'm sure). Many thanks for members who answered questions about the numerous curiosities found in the process of transcribing. And thanks especially to other members who volunteered their time to help with the transcription.

Now we wait to see how long it takes for the Smithsonian to open the searchable version of this digital collection to the public.
Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• Options
    uzuiwekuzuiwek Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations. That's a huge job that's going to be enjoyed by many many people. Thanks!
    SPMC LM #405 - Collector of Ohio obsoletes. And other stuff, that I'm not going to tell you, so you don't buy it before I do.
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Greg, and thanks for the updates along the way.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Outstanding accomplishment!!!
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    What everybody said and more. Super, no superb!!!

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can we see the Smithsonian's collection now or is that still like off limits?
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you most sincerely for your contribution which benefits all of us.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sellitstore

Thank you most sincerely for your contribution which benefits all of us.

+1

Any notion what data has been annotated and potentially searchable? I'm still able to navigate these ok but going directly to what is of interest will be a great time saver, I think/hope.

Thanks again.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea how long it will take the Smithsonian to generate a searchable online database, but they do seem to know what they're doing on the tech side. I found their transcription site well designed and quite easy to use after a couple goes at it.

In terms of searchable data points, it should be pretty comprehensive:
    > series year
    > charter number
    > federal signatures
    > alphabetized state (or territory), city and bank names
    > plate date
    > BEP approval date

Am I missing anything?
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    BGguyBGguy Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017 7:19AM

Can someone help? I'm trying to get a JPG of Baltimore N.B.'s 1432 $5 Brown Back proof sheet from the Smithsonian site. I cannot figure out how to get a single, full image of the proof sheet. I seem to recall a forum member documented the complicated steps once before, but I cannot find that posting or recreate the steps.