Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Moderators - Why no waiting period for new members to advertise on the BST ?

I recently read that some of our members have been taken advantage of by newer
members who only joined PCGS for the sole purpose of getting to our members' wallets.

I am sure the "powers that be" have considered implementing a waiting period for newer
members to advertise their merchandise.

Just throwing this out there to the Moderators of PCGS & CU - it would solve a few newly
arisen problems.

Mike Hayes
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Comments

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited to eliminate knee-jerk response.

After careful consideration, wouldn't PCGS be accepting some liability? By acknowledging there ia a problem, and by attempting to intervene, would they become partly liable?

Let's hear from the attorneys on the forum.

Cheers

Bob
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    PCGS offers this as a free service to board members.
    They get nothing out of it and I wonder if this situation causes complaints, requests for more governance or whatever that they may just drop it.
    Simple as that.
    Too much fraud, complaints or requests and maybe PCGS decides to just shut down/omit the BST.
    Buyers here should exercise more due diligence and avoid PPG to avoid rip offs.
    JMHO.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mariner67

JMHO.

+1
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Could you enlighten me as to [ what's the ? ] PPG.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PayPal Gift
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

They get nothing out of it and I wonder if this situation causes complaints, requests for more governance or whatever that they may just drop it.

Simple as that.

Too much fraud, complaints or requests and maybe PCGS decides to just shut down/omit the BST.

JMHO.

This.

If you ask PCGS to get involved in this matter they would likely just remove the BST. It is not their fault, or should it be their concern what happens between two people in a business transaction that they had no part in except offering a FREE place for them to discuss. I hate to say it because I use the BST, but if it is too hard for people to do their own due diligence to cover themselves they should stop buying and selling here.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I respect you. However, I am against any "waiting" period.

If people are a bit cautious, then the risks can be mitigated.

For instance, when I use the BST, I do look to see when a person joined, what their forum usage is (ie, are they only here to sell? are they on the other forums, participating? etc).

I also will NOT use PPG with anyone that I don't feel comfortable with (and, I usually don't entertain using it even with people I do feel comfortable with....if necessary, I will do the 3% myself).

Asking that new people be restricted from the BST is like when people complain about ebay newbies bidding/winning their ebay items.

There have been some good, smart, people burned...because they were too trusting image

However, a bit more diligence and/or paranoia would likely have protected all/most of them.

Very few people log on to a forum like this, with intent to scam, and try to become active members and get to know people. It usually isn't worth all that time and risk to themselves.

Those that come in, beeline straight to the BST, and are selling, not buying, are the ones I generally stay far away from.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    When a scam is carried out here it's because of greed, on both parts, seller and buyer. The one that can be controlled though is the buyer.

Scams are able to be done because the scamming seller is usually offering something desired for a very good price, so the buyer thinks it's a deal, that's where the greed of the buyer comes into play. Getting something cheaper than they know they should be paying for it is, I'm sorry to say it folks, but it's greed.

As mentioned by most here, due the DD. It's not completely full proof, but it's worth taking the time to do.

And by the way, PCGS does get something out of hosting this forum, so to say that is either ignorant, or just incorrect. Advertising fees are paid to them, it's a way to build loyalty to and from the customer, it's a way to build the brand. All things that affect their bottom line.

As with any good business pratice, they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't a way to profit from it.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caveat emptor has been around for a long time.
    Why would one think it doesn't apply here?
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BST isn't broken. Don't try to fix it.
  • MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigjpst

Simple as that.

JMHO.

This.

If you ask PCGS to get involved in this matter they would likely just remove the BST. It is not their fault, or should it be their concern what happens between two people in a business transaction that they had no part in except offering a FREE place for them to discuss. I hate to say it because I use the BST, but if it is too hard for people to do their own due diligence to cover themselves they should stop buying and selling here.

Alright, I have a an issue with this as most of what you say here isn't true. I wouldn't say buying silver at melt value is a real steal, as I have before on this forum many times and had it work out. If it was such a steal and put up many red flags then I don't think most forum members would fall for it. With how many people there are actively participating in the B/S/T section from time to time they will get a few, and with almost no restrictions on posting there I think this will become a fairly often occurrence. Think of how many times people have been burned but not willing to say anything about it. I can see how that would be the case for some members when everyone rails on you for it and makes it appear like your a complete idiot, which is what some members do. Just read through the thread I posted and the other one with Greg Washington. It isn't because the deals are "too good to be true" it has more to do with no restrictions on listing; this is the only forum I have ever been on where you could join and begin posting in the sale section day 1.

• Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Bottom line if this keeps up I can see PCGS removing the BST which would really stink since I along with others have had a number of positive transactions.

Do your homework. Phone calls, pictures and full contact information would be a start.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MorganMan94

Originally posted by: bigjpst

Simple as that.

JMHO.

This.

Alright, I have a an issue with this as most of what you say here isn't true. I wouldn't say buying silver at melt value is a real steal, as I have before on this forum many times and had it work out. If it was such a steal and put up many red flags then I don't think most forum members would fall for it. With how many people there are actively participating in the B/S/T section from time to time they will get a few, and with almost no restrictions on posting there I think this will become a fairly often occurrence. Think of how many times people have been burned but not willing to say anything about it. I can see how that would be the case for some members when everyone rails on you for it and makes it appear like your a complete idiot, which is what some members do. Just read through the thread I posted and the other one with Greg Washington. It isn't because the deals are "too good to be true" it has more to do with no restrictions on listing; this is the only forum I have ever been on where you could join and begin posting in the sale section day 1.

What about what I said isn't true? So how many posts does a person need to get them credibility? Kryptonite comics has many multiples more than most here and he has had 3 or more threads posted about how he's ripping people off. When I was a kid and me and my sister couldn't share our toys without fighting my parents would just take them away. if we ask PCGS to moderate our sales I only see two outcomes. They charge us to do business or they take away the BST. Which would you prefer?

I have done hundreds of transactions on the BST, and when I didn't know the person I made sure to cover myself. I either asked a member for references or I paid using a method I would have some recourse. I see the same things everyone else does, and when a new member has things for sale ppg only, I will either pay the fee myself( which I have done several times) or I just pass.

A few bad transactions from people who can't look out for their own safety over 3% should not alter how the rest of us do business here.

Edit to add.

Before I get flamed I know it can happen to anyone and some of the people who got burned are long time members. We all get lulled into a false sense of security, but that's not PCGS's fault or should they be asked to correct it.