Home Sports Talk

Great article by Keith Olbermann on Vin Scully

dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

Comments

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that. Those last three paragraphs really got to me.

Man, I'm gonna miss Vin.
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    They say as you get older, your mind begins to play tricks on you and you hear voices.....not because you're clinically nuts, or anything like that. Ok, I just haven't been diagnosed yet.

On occasion, I hear the powerful voice of my deceased grandfather, who would raise his tone and holler my name when he wanted my attention.

Then, there's the voice of Vin. The voice that pierced my dreams while I slept next to a transistor radio as the local boys and an opponent trudged through another summer nighttime battle. The voice that brought images to life.

When I was a boy, one of my most prized possessions was a 45rpm record of him calling the last inning of Bill Singer's no-hitter at Dodger Stadium in July of 1969. I played it religiously on an old turntable. Still got it somewhere.

My memories of Vin Scully extend to his own family member, a son named Mike with whom I attended school, and who died tragically at an early age. When I pumped gas at a local filling station during my teens & early 20s, they were our customers.

I look forward to the local TV station giving us a few more games with his call before the season ends. After that, I'll go more clinically nuts listening to Charlie Steiner. ;-)

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Bob Costas on Ray Charles and Vin:

“Somewhere around 1994, ’95, I was interviewing Ray Charles for an NBC news magazine and probably spent a couple of hours talking with him. … Then, when we’re done and the cameras had been turned off, he says to me, ‘You know who I would really like to meet?’ And I’m thinking, ‘He’s Ray Charles. He could have met just about anybody he’d wanted to have met throughout the course of his life. Who might it be?’ … ‘Vin Scully.’ And I say, ‘Why?’ And he says, ‘Well, because I love baseball. But you have to understand, to me the picture means nothing. It’s all the sound. And Vin Scully’s broadcasts are almost musical, so I enjoy baseball so much more listening to him.’ … So I set it up with Vin and took Ray to Dodger Stadium. I was sitting across from Ray, and there was an empty seat awaiting Vin’s arrival, and Vin came walking through the door wearing — as I remember — a royal blue jacket, the way he is always turned out for a baseball broadcast. And as he walked toward Charles, he said, ‘Ray, my name is Vin Scully, and it’s a pleasure to meet you.’ He might as well have said, ‘A pleasant good evening to you wherever you may be,’ because that’s how it struck Ray. And then they sat down, and we had a combination baseball and music discussion. Vin had a nice experience. And Ray Charles — and I mean this sincerely — he’s Ray freaking Charles — I believe he had one of the great experiences of his life.”
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is sad to see him go, but remember like Mickey (not Mantle) said in Rocky III, all the great ones retire. Presidents retire [Vin should know, he's seen eleven in his career!!], generals retire, horses retire...even Man O'War retired; they put him out to stud.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I remembered Vinny did golf for one of the networks but didn't remember him doing football. Here are a couple. Worth a quick watch:

Just watch this for a minute or so and it gets to vinny doing the welcome for a PGA tourney. Plus Love Boat style intro music. Great commercials too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ONo5n5GBsc

Here's Vin calling the Catch (yes, 49 fans, THAT catch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAjvGFO3Ruc
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good article but I'm amazed that it came from Olbermann, just goes to show the old saying , even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  • Originally posted by: bronco2078

Good article but I'm amazed that it came from Olbermann, just goes to show the old saying , even a broken clock is right twice a day.

How pedestrian, he's done quite a bit for the hobby.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RipublicaninMass
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

As long as he sticks to sports I can tolerate him. Where he ever got the idea people wanted to hear his political insight is beyond me.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Interesting that Hank Stram the analyst thought that Montana was throwing the ball away.
    I wonder why Summerall and Brookshier didn't do this game?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Originally posted by: bronco2078
    Originally posted by: RipublicaninMass
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

As long as he sticks to sports I can tolerate him. Where he ever got the idea people wanted to hear his political insight is beyond me.

+10000. It's his persona, he has been very Influential in the hobby.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dennis07

Interesting that Hank Stram the analyst thought that Montana was throwing the ball away.
    I wonder why Summerall and Brookshier didn't do this game?

He was trying to throw the ball out of the end zone to avoid the sack. It was a jail break as the Dallas D was all over him. He just couldn't get enough on it as he was running for his life.

The biggest luckiest play ever! It still makes me want to puke!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vin Schully was simply the best there was in my lifetime.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    The biggest luckiest play ever! It still makes me want to puke!

I am a non-49ers fan living in Nor Cal the last 30+ years. I feel the same. VERY sick of the play, talk of Montana, etc....