Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What's going on with this 1808Mo 8 reales?

In particular around the reverse from about 10 o'clock to about 4 o'clock. I'm about 90% sure what's going on is due to a defective planchet rather than the coin being sea-salvage. Opinions would be appreciated.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got me there, I'm afraid.

My first guess would be to agree with you that it's a defective planchet.

Otherwise, some kind of striking anomaly?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    You've got me there, I'm afraid.

My first guess would be to agree with you that it's a defective planchet.

Otherwise, some kind of striking anomaly?

I am leaning towards defective planchet. There's a lot of planchet cracks on the bust side opposite the defective area too.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    It never went to sea , Looks more like an oversized planchet that went into the press, and gave way on the upside. Diameter should be just under 40mm , wonder how large your coin is ? just over 40mm ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Andres
    It never went to sea , Looks more like an oversized planchet that went into the press, and gave way on the upside. Diameter should be just under 40mm , wonder how large your coin is ? just over 40mm ?

38mm and 25.55 grams which is a bit underweight. I am almost certain it's a real coin.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting error. Does look like a planchet issue. But Mexico City Mint at that time would not have allowed such an underweight planchet. Is the edge preserved on that segment? It could be detached lamination, or something contaminating the surface of the planchet that came loose after the strike.

The reason I think there was something in that void is because it just doesn't feel like a planchet of uneven thickness. If it was thinner at that point, the edging process would bring the rims up and the strike afterwards would impart some of the dentil design in that area. Although I have never seen it affect that large of an area.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting indeed. I agree a planchet error. (defective)
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would hesitate to call this genuine without a lot more information. It's significantly underweight but does it have the proper specific gravity? What does the entire edge look like? Can you tell if it was edged before or after the surfaces were struck?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki
    Interesting error. Does look like a planchet issue. But Mexico City Mint at that time would not have allowed such an underweight planchet. Is the edge preserved on that segment? It could be detached lamination, or something contaminating the surface of the planchet that came loose after the strike.

The reason I think there was something in that void is because it just doesn't feel like a planchet of uneven thickness. If it was thinner at that point, the edging process would bring the rims up and the strike afterwards would impart some of the dentil design in that area. Although I have never seen it affect that large of an area.

The edge in the area is still high and the edge pattern is there (but a bit weak). It certainly has the look that you get with a modern coin that has a planchet peel that has detached AFTER being struck. The fact that the lettering opposite the missing area is actual still struck up suggests something was there when it was struck, or those letters would likely be missing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jgenn
    I would hesitate to call this genuine without a lot more information. It's significantly underweight but does it have the proper specific gravity? What does the entire edge look like? Can you tell if it was edged before or after the surfaces were struck?

I don't have the means to test SG unfortunately.