Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Why ban forum members?

Really hope this forum continues, but it's on thin ice and one of most active members was banned for speaking 'truth to power'.

Can't just ban with no appeal and no warning.

Damn, this hobby is going to need massive help in 10 years when all the scumbags chase off the young collectors.
US small size Federal Reserve Note collector with focus on 1928 to 1950E and main focus on 1934 to 1934D series. $5 to $100 denominations.

kurtisjohnson is my eBay ID

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kurtisjohnson/m.html

Comments

• Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Well when you let coin guys have all the power over a currency forum what do we expect to happen?

It may be time to find an alternative venue. It appears they banned Larry. He has helped so many people numerous times and is very open and active with opinions and information on the boards. He IS one of the good ones... This is not right...

If they are going to try and censor the truth about unscrupulous sellers or even ban our TRUE GRACIOUS HOSTS accounts (I hope this is untrue) then there is no more use for this forum.

JUST LEAVE US ALONE AND GO BACK YOUR SIDE!

I may wake up tomorrow to find my account is mysteriously inactive as well and if so, it's been great! But I'm not hanging around quietly watching you destroying our community!

• Options

*** Free Earl (aka Larry) ***

Down with Coins

Odd Future

http://stateinthereal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/free-earl-art-463x600.png
    US small size Federal Reserve Note collector with focus on 1928 to 1950E and main focus on 1934 to 1934D series. $5 to $100 denominations.

kurtisjohnson is my eBay ID

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kurtisjohnson/m.html
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I agree, perhaps we should all find another venue.

The truth is the truth, and sometimes, truth can be offensive / hurtful. In the long run, truth is what will benefit the hobby.

It is our fundamental right to speak freely / express ourselves freely.

• Options
    I haven't been to the coin forum in awhile, but out of curiosity this morning, I wondered over there. The very first topic now locked at the top is this:

Posting Rules - updated 2/12/11

Interesting reading...
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    maxcrusha was also banned
  • Options
    Originally posted by: outtacash

This is getting hard to believe. How can you tell (silly question) ?

• Options
    i asked him as well - said he couldnt log in any longer, even after changing passwords
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    How did I miss this?

Makes me want to delete all my posts.

Oh, that's right, they deleted the delete button.

Of all people, I expected to be the first to be banned.

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Heads Up ----
    Check out the last edit date.
    Rule 1) This is not a public forum. This is a PCGS forum paid for by PCGS and provided for PCGS customers to exchange information regarding collecting US coins. We make the rules this is not a democracy.

Rule 2) Anyone posting crude or vulgar pictures or language will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 3) Anyone attacking another poster or making disparaging personal remarks will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 4) Anyone making libelous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 5) If you have nothing to contribute to an OP then do not post. Snide remarks and other negative comments will result in your losing your ability to post. No more warnings.

Rule 6) This forum is about US Coins. If your post is not directly related to US Coins then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.

Rule 7) This is a PCGS forum. Posts promoting or bashing other grading companies or services are not allowed. Those posts will be removed and your posting privileges may be removed as well.

Rule 8) This forum is provided for the education and sharing of information. Not as a personal soapbox. If you want to learn and share information about US Coins you are welcome.

Rule 9) Your signature may contain multiple images and/or links but must be limited to a single line. If you would like additional advertising space on this site please contact our Advertising Department. Violators will have their posting privileges removed.

Rule 10) If you don't like any of the rules outlined above see Rule 1.

Edited: 8/8/2016 at 10:46 PM by Collectors Universe Moderator

Report this to a Moderator

• Options
    So, do those posting rules mean we can only discuss shiny metal discs?
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Is it libel if it is true?

There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person must prove that the statement was false, caused harm, and was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. For a celebrity or a public official, the person must prove the first three steps and that the statement was made with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth, which is usually specifically referred to as "proving malice"

However, This is a CU forum, and they are certainly entitled to make the rules, and even enforce them as they see fit, even if it sometimes appears arbitrary.

If this is my last post, (not by choice) good night and good luck.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Deleted - went back and read the other thread. Now I'm caught up.

Wow.
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    Is it a CU Forum? Seems so for now.
  • Options
    Well, since my old account got banned for speaking the truth (lewminator) and the coin ruling schmucks have seen fit to tie the tongues of those who speak the truth, this forum is NO LONGER BENEFICIAL to paper money collectors who DON'T WANT TO GET SCREWED buying paper form metal disc used car salesmen. If y'all find Valhalla, let us know...

Funny how, EVEN HERE IN THE PAPER SIDE, coin motivated GREED by our "gracious" hosts will make this the lovely little Nazi neighborhood they desire & I refuse to swim in the same water with feces....
    Buying, Selling & collecting for over 30 Years!

I only COLLECT $2.00 FANCY #s but errors, fancy numbers, uncut sheets & autographed currency are my areas of expertise. Always glad to help when I can!
  • Options
    They can't ban me if I quit....

I only COLLECT $2.00 FANCY #s but errors, fancy numbers, uncut sheets & autographed currency are my areas of expertise. Always glad to help when I can!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I missed it, what happened ??? ??
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: outtacash

thats to bad.
  • Options

It is with great sadness that I feel I must stop participating in this forum. I do not want to contribute in any way to a company that I wholeheartedly disagree with how they are behaving. So I will express my opinion through my wallet and my cessation of participation in a forum what seems to be arbitrary and totalitarian control. I mean, they wont even give us a Currency Moderator and seem to have gone out of their way to ostracize this community. Well congratulations, you have succeeded in destroying a beautiful thing and I am moving on.

Well I decided to take my own advice and I just bought PaperMoneyForum.com and I bought forum software. It is going to take some work but I am pretty pissed off currently so I will get it figured out.

Yes, we may loose all of our messages, threads, pictures ect... But we cant let this keep going on. It is only going to get worse and we are the only ones who are ACTUALLY IN CONTROL. We decide our own fate...

Join me at PaperMoneyForum.com where it will be a community driven Paper Money Forum.

Please check out the Pledge / First Post.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Many board members (If not most) who frequent the currency forum rarely if ever visit over on the coin side. There is not, nor has there ever been to my knowledge, a sticky on the currency forum with posting rules for all to familiarize themselves with. This being said, it is very harsh to ban members who are passionate about the hobby for first time offenses. The petty appearance of the actions that took place have stirred some strong feelings amoungst many long time members.

Let the banned be reinstated and if need be, put them on probation for a while and our family can be whole again! image
  • Options
    From here on out, I can be found on the PMG forums.

I am tired of seeing good people mistreated for no good reason as they are here on the CU forums, tired of the new software, and tired of forbidden words that are not even foul.

To the mods: go ahead and ban me too, I could care less, I am leaving on my own accord anyway, as of now.

To the members, keep in touch. I have enjoyed your posts, as well as educating many of you, and will continue to do so elsewhere.

That's all I have to say. So sad to see a good thing go to waste.
  • Options
    As someone mentions over on the other post, quitting is really somewhat counter-productive. Switching over to a competing company's board would be, in my opinion, the ultimate stab in the back to the rightful owners of this part of the message board...since CU's goal was to destroy us, helping a competitor (although a friendly competitor for us, in PMG) is really helping them out more than it helps us.

As Gnat mentioned in the other post, we have filed another lawsuit against CU to cover some of the other items of contention that were not covered under the arbitration ruling. Our contention is that CU sold us this part of the message board back when they sold us PCGS Currency, and arbitrarily stole it back last year when our fiasco with them hit a new level of pettiness. Operationally, this seemed to be understood by both companies up until they stripped us of our administrative rights, deleted all of our advertising content, and removed all of our website links.

It is also true that, back when we rightfully had control over our own message board, we did occasionally ban people...sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. I don't have a problem with the rules that PCGS applies to their forum because we usually apply very similar rules--although we very rarely did so without warning, and never did so without a very good reason. My problem is that they don't have the right to arbitrarily control our message board...but that's another lawsuit for another day...
    Jason W. Bradford
    President, PCGS Currency
    jbradford@pcgscurrency.com

• Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jwbradford

As someone mentions over on the other post, quitting is really somewhat counter-productive. Switching over to a competing company's board would be, in my opinion, the ultimate stab in the back to the rightful owners of this part of the message board...since CU's goal was to destroy us, helping a competitor (although a friendly competitor for us, in PMG) is really helping them out more than it helps us.

As Gnat mentioned in the other post, we have filed another lawsuit against CU to cover some of the other items of contention that were not covered under the arbitration ruling. Our contention is that CU sold us this part of the message board back when they sold us PCGS Currency, and arbitrarily stole it back last year when our fiasco with them hit a new level of pettiness. Operationally, this seemed to be understood by both companies up until they stripped us of our administrative rights, deleted all of our advertising content, and removed all of our website links.

It is also true that, back when we rightfully had control over our own message board, we did occasionally ban people...sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. I don't have a problem with the rules that PCGS applies to their forum because we usually apply very similar rules--although we very rarely did so without warning, and never did so without a very good reason. My problem is that they don't have the right to arbitrarily control our message board...but that's another lawsuit for another day...

Jason,

I just do not think it is in our best interest to deal with the banning of active members,whose opinions are valued without it being warranted. I also dont think that discussing the tactics of sellers unscrupulous or not, should be out of bounds. It should be one of the exact things we are doing so we can lower the initial tuition all collectors have to pay. The less people who get financially harmed, the more collectors we retain.

In all honesty I think your interests are being harmed by your inability (not of your own fault) to moderate this forum effectively. Perhaps it turns out to benefit you in the future as damages.

Regardless you and Laura and the entire PCGS Currency Team are who we respect and want to do business with. I hope to see this resolved quickly but I know thats not how these things usually work. Whenever it is resolved we will all still be behind you!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for all the sad travails that the currency grading part of cu has suffered imo unnecessarily and unjustly. I hope there is a positive end to all the suffering. I'm not sure what led to the banning as I have done business with maxcrusha, he knows the field, I am relatively new to the field. I would hope that the banning feature could be used after at least one verifiable warning. It is a final move that I see used sparingly on other internet bulletin boards.
  • Options
    on my way to register now!

• Options
    Nothing up on PaperMoneyForum.com yet...

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    I am A huge fan of Larry, Max, Phil, John, Lew and numerous others - I just want to be crystal clear on what we're doing. It sounds like we are punishing Jason and Laura for what we ALL agreed was a CU problem. Wouldn't that make collectors universe happy?

• Options
    I'll still be here... until the metal furors boot me... AGAIN....

Just planning ahead until some control is gained

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KT5Silver
    I am A huge fan of Larry, Max, Phil, John, Lew and numerous others - I just want to be crystal clear on what we're doing. It sounds like we are punishing Jason and Laura for what we ALL agreed was a CU problem. Wouldn't that make collectors universe happy?

It seems like CU banning key participants is doing the most damage.
  • Options
    By the way, I think once Jason and Laura regain some control over the currency site folks will flock back.
  • Options
    Wow, fail to check in for a few weeks and hell breaks lose!
    Dan
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    as KT5 said, lets not forget to continue to support Jason and Laura and PCGS Currency... still and always the best grading firm around
  • Options
    Jason & Laura KNOW they can call me ANY TIME for help with any weird errors, or information OF ANY KIND they may ask for! Like I said, I'll be here until the bottom falls out, or the metal furors stop the shenanigans... It saddens me to see what was & still can be, a thriving exchange of information between people who KNOW PAPER, strangled by those who are CLUELESS when it comes to paper... When you try and stifle the TRUTH to suit your crony, LESS THAN SCRUPULOUS, friends... that's self-serving, and ONLY EDUCATIONAL to show us who NOT to deal with! In a hobby where education is KEY, withholding or "controlling" what truths are allowed is WRONG in ANY VENUE!

• Options
    Testing...
  • Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭
    If anything, I should be banned for selling such low grade banknotes to the general public.
    Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    No way Ted, that is a redeeming quality image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: KT5Silver

I wholeheartedly support Jason, Luara and the entire PCGS currency team. I have not sent any personal notes to any other TPG in over 3 years. That's because I consider them to be the best and even if I could get a point higher elsewhere, I value their opinion and many times discount the opinions I see from other TPGs. I agree they are being harmed by their inability to control this forum (not by choice) and that sincerely saddens me.

I simply did not wish to contribute any longer if our group was being forcibly broken up and there was no available recourse. It could be anyone at anytime. That makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

I look forward to the day when PCGS Currency regains control of this message board. Until then, I continue to believe there may be calculatable damages occurring in the current situation.

• Options
    I've never used anyone else and never intend to. Even during the days when they were swamped with more business than they could handle and the monthly special turnaround was painfully slow, Jason and Laura were supportive, responsive, and transparent. They've done an admirable job supporting the collecting community and deserve our support in return.
  • Options
    Delistamps

+1 Very well stated
  • Options
    Duplicate post
  • Options

bumping for info

Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options

Hmmmm wow!! Seems to be a trend in this country....I don't like what you are saying so i will not give you the air time!!

Those that collect currency will always have money !!!

Always looking for 1928 & 1934 series changeover pairs. Any denomination !! PM me or email
  • Options

@Zanz21 said:
    Hmmmm wow!! Seems to be a trend in this country....I don't like what you are saying so i will not give you the air time!!

Only we as individuals can change that.

The only way to solve problems is quite often the result of resolving differences between people.

Part of being free and independent is to also be grown up too. We may not always like what someone else has to say, but it is their right to say it, as long as it is not slanderous or untrue.

As a patriot for America, I could go on and on. Bottom line, some times the truth hurts. Regarding the hobby, there is a lot of shady dealings that happen, by unscrupulous people.

As custodians of our coins, notes, etc, we must also be custodians of the future of our hobby. If we do not call out wrong doings, we will loose future collectors, one by one. Once that happens, every one in the hobby, from collectors, to dealers, to grading services will suffer.

The future of our great hobby is on the line.

Hey, ....... this hobby is supposed to be a gentleman's hobby, and is supposed to be fun and educational.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2016 9:03PM

It is remarkably hypocritical for CU to ban a poster for pointing out the obvious truth of note doctoring, when it wasn't so many years ago that CU went so far as to make a big show of filing a Federal lawsuit against several coin dealers who were alleged to be doctoring coins.

• Options

Watch out gnat, truth hurts!

In 30+ years I have done nothing positive for the hobby because I'm lazy!

--------

Collector of paper money since 1985.

California & Nevada National Bank "Guru" per Peter Huntoon

ANA Intern 1990.

Former member Board of Governors of SPMC.

Life member SPMC 126

Life member ANA 4592

IBNS, FUN, CSNA, NASC, CSNS, etc