Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Carrying on the cluttered desk theme

It wasn't ON the desk, but in a drawer.

These were used as counterfeit detectors. It's a balance for measuring sovereigns and half sovereigns and could be found on the counters of shopkeepers.

Basically the coin would have to fit flat in the respective sized section and then fit in the slot to ensure both diameter and thickness were correct. In addition, the coin had to be of sufficient weight to move the balance.

I'm not sure this picture will work, but hopefully it shows everything well enough.

These can be found on eBay, some with the original box which are pretty cool.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, pretty cool.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! I first saw these at the Saturday market on Portobello road in Notting Hill a few years ago, in London. I even bought a couple that I later offered them as gifts, as I had practically no use for them. But this is the first time I hear about an original box, I'll definitely check out the listings.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are indeed cool. Like Dimitri, I don't think I'd have any use for one in my collection (practical or otherwise), but they're interesting.

Especially when you have some Sovereigns to demonstrate with. (Even if they aren't Vickies).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Very nice piece of history.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is cool. I may need to add one to the collection!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! Great pics, too!