Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

odd find at bank yesterday, bills 10,000 numbers apart together

I have a teller that saves interesting things that come in for me. She had a customer bring in $46 in two dollar bills so she put them aside because they were nice and crisp.

I bought the lot and found that it was sequential groups mainly.

a group of 5 then one is missing then a group of 14 then 5 are missing then a sequential pair after that is a gap of 7 missing and one more by itself I 61487335 A.

The last bill in the broken run I 61487335 A was followed by one more that at first glance I thought had the same number I 61477335 A . I realized after a better look that the 2 bills were 10,000 notes apart not identical.

Did the previous owner buy $20,000 plus in twos a decade ago ? Or acquire the pair the same way I did ? I think the sequential bills are easy enough to explain , there was a larger lot that was continuous and they passed through the hands of someone who randomly removed the missing notes but the pair is intriguing .

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    That's cool, got to love those tellers!
  • Options
    Wow, you have a great setup!

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that when notes are printed, the serial numbers differ by 10,000 for each note on a sheet. For example, a sheet would have numbers 00000000, 00010000, 00020000, etc. Then the next sheet adds one to each number: 00010001, 00020001, 00030001, etc. When a pack is created, the sheets are stacked on top of each other, cut and then wrapped. Voila, sequential notes.

So in your case case, it seems that someone probably got two notes that were on the same sheet side-by-side. Nice!

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome jlars!!
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    As you look at the two notes do they look like they were hand (scissors) cut?
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this sounds like a cut sheet.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Most likely it just came down to chance. The notes didn't come from uncut sheets because their serials are not in the uncut sheet ranges. They also didn't belong to the same sheet originally because the skip between adjacent serials is 200,000. Since the notes are essentially new, what may have happened is that when the notes were originally put into circulation, a large quantity with close serial numbers were probably distributed to the same geographic location, and the person just happened to get the two notes at different times. Very cool of you to spot that!
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The edges look regular the notes don't appear to be hand cut from a sheet .