Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Turks & Caicos Islands: silver 20-crown coin, Victoria commemorative, 1976

My first transaction (a swap) over on CoinTalk was a smashing success.

Somewhere I read about "H8_modern" (who used to go by "12voltman" here) collecting Lucite coin paperweights.

I had this old Nassau (Bahamas) souvenir paperweight with various coins in it (British, East Caribbean, and Haitian). Judging from the BU grade and 1958 date on the Haitian coin, not to mention the seemingly strange assortment of countries, it was pretty obvious that this paperweight was made with coins that circulated in the Bahamas prior to the advent of their own coinage in 1966. So it's fairly old. It's a cool item but probably not worth a ton. Someone gave it to me, so I had nothing in it.

Since H8_modern collects these, I offered it to him, and told him I'd take one or two BU or proof modern silver coins in return (of any size, bullion content, country, or type).

Essentially I said "just surprise me".

And boy, did he!

In return, I just got this beautiful 1976 Turks & Caicos Islands 20-crown piece. It's bigger than a silver dollar (45 mm), struck in .925 (Sterling) silver, and has 1.1509 oz. of bullion content! Furthermore, it lists for $40 in MS63 and has nearly $22 in melt value alone, as of this posting. And it's in the original government packaging. But that's not all. It has a great reverse design showing four little cameos with all the ages of Queen Victoria. (I have a daughter named Victoria, as most of you know. Turns out, so does he.)

I've long admired this design, but this is the first time I've actually seen one of these coins in hand, let alone owned one.

(Please pardon the wretched cellphone pix- my new camera setup is not here yet)

So how cool is that?

I would have considered something worth 10-12 bucks as plenty for the paperweight, so needless to say, I was delighted with this deal. He mentioned being satisfied with the paperweight, so I think it's a win-win.

Still, I can't help but feeling like I came out a little bit on the better end of this trade, even if by accident.

So I gave him a shoutout over there (and here, too, by way of showing the coin).

It's not quite something I'd submit to PCGS for inclusion in my Box of 20, but it should work very nicely for the new "OFEY" (one from each year) collection idea I've just started tinkering with.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments