Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Vespasian Nemesis Denarius

this is one coin that definitely looks better in hand than in the photo. I have been wanting one of these for about a year, since I first saw one in someone else's collection. Now I have one of my own. I could not resist this one when it popped up for sale. I also liked that it had an interesting provenance.

Vespasian, 69-79 A.D. AR Denarius, 3.16g. 21.41mm. Rome, 73 A.D.

Obv: IMP CAES VESP AVG CENS. Laureate head of Vespasian to right.

Rev: MAXIM PONTIF. Nemesis walking to right holding caduceus over snake.

C 385, RIC 544. 

Ex: E. E. Clain-Stefanelli collection. Ex: Numismatica Ars Classica - Auction 92 Part 2, Lot 2133 May 24, 2016; Ex: Ed waddell

[URL=http://s259.photobucket.com/us...4_zpsmmwrd2vp.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and patina.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Nice example of a significant coin. Also, great portrait of Vespasian. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, my. That's a nice one! Great portrait, very appealing reverse. I think there have been some "snakes on coins" threads here or on other forums I've visited. The irregular flan might be considered a slight detraction to some collectors, but not many, I think. I view it as a neutral attribute and think it gives the coin "character", as does the slightly benevolent and more handsome than usual portrait of Vespasian. If you were to sell this coin today and see it again at auction years or even decades later, it would be instantly recognizable. And uniqueness is usually a good thing.

Excellent addition!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I concur with the above post in that I find the flan cracks more charming than detracting.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    OrfewOrfew Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Thanks to all for the kind comments. This coin has now taken its place in my 12 Caesars collection.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool addition! image