Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Not your average specimen

I've been after this particular specimen for almost a year now.

The seller, chose to certify it to... you know who, against my advice.

Nevertheless, it's a specimen that was meant to be used by some cashiers of the National Bank

to check the authenticity of the issued notes.

On the backside, you'll see "24 Ge????? ?aµ?a?" = "General Cashier No 24"

These notes were printed in 1921 and 1922, mostly to pay high ranked army officers that were stationed in Turkey. 1000 drs was a huge amount for that time. However, after the loss of Constantinople in 1923 by Kemal Ataturk's troops, the entire Greek army (that was fighting non stop for 10 consecutive years, starting by consecutive victories in the Balkan wars 1913-1917, liberating the entire North of Greece, passing victorious from WW1 too and ending in the 1923 disaster of losing yet again Constantinople and several other towns in the coast of Turkey) was being repatriated along with a couple of million refugeees and the majority of these notes.

P69 is a note that is practically impossible to find in unc in its issued form. I do not agree with PCGS/banknote's grade either, the note is pristine, albeit roulette cancelled 4 times (!) ,which I assume was the reason for the 62 OPQ.I'll have it regraded by PMG at the first chance I get

Other than that, this note had made the cover of Krause in 2012 and is for the time being, the centerpiece of my collection.
Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations on a rare find. That's one heck of a beautiful note. Love the engravings and colors on this note.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice note for sure !

Front centering is a tad off. IMO it is a slam dunk 64 / shot at 65. By no means is it a 62.

Strict grading is good, but there comes a point where it gets to be too much.
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    What a beauty!! I agree that grading it was unnecessary and,in this case,was a waste.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    How beautiful! Congrats on an incredible addition to your collection!
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful note. The historical background is particularly interesting. Too bad the seller had it slabbed by the fake PCGS.
  • Options
    image ++++ Outstanding!
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    That's one beautiful note!
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all. Looking back at these scans, I should have cropped the holder, if anything to give you an idea of the immense size of this note!
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet !!! ??
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    That is incredible! Congrats on your new trophy note!! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a pretty note. Also appreciate the background about its significance. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I'll offer to grade the note for free, just to get the grade right and done by the REAL PCGS Currency. image
    Jason W. Bradford
    President, PCGS Currency
    jbradford@pcgscurrency.com

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Jason,not that I'm anyone special,but,you continue to impress me!image
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: numbersman

Jason,not that I'm anyone special,but,you continue to impress me!image

+1 Kudos! image

• Options
    A1 all the way!!!

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

• Options
    Originally posted by: jwbradford

I'll offer to grade the note for free, just to get the grade right and done by the REAL PCGS Currency. image

Jason, I just saw this, sorry! And thank you so much!

The thing is that capital controls imposed in Greece since July 2015 do not allow me to use my credit card outside the borders of Greece, nor can I add funds to my PayPal account from my bank account or credit card.

But I think I can still send the note to Dennis H. who's in the Netherlands right now at the Volkenburg show. I might still have a shot at sending this on time.(with a photocopy of this page if needed). Thank you anyway!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jwbradford

TRUTH
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know absolutely nothing about paper currency, but that is indeed gorgeous.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dimitri image
    Wish my note had a 62 PPQ , its more like VF 30 , but I'm happy with it.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Andres

Congrats Dimitri image

Wish my note had a 62 PPQ , its more like VF 30 , but I'm happy with it.

Andres, your note is an issued one, and not a specimen. And a very well preserved one too.

My next scheduled purchase is a (too good for its grade) P69a (issued note) in ICG VF35.

Spanish ICG is the potential future partner of PCGS currency as it had been announced.

It might not be a commercial company, and the ICG graded notes never achieve similar results to PMG or PCGS,

but it's very tough on its grading and extremely consistent.

I have an image stored somewhere of this VF35 for which I shook hands with its seller,

in order for him NOT to sell it at the Valkenburg show.

Speaking of which I was informed that the note in the OP, P69s that was fedexed two days ago and had arrived at the show since yesterday, had been through a walkthrough grading at Valkenburg (in order for the note to be ready by Saturday and mailed to me in return, before the PCGS team reaches the US again),

that discovered some sort of fold in the lower left corner and it is going to be downgraded.

It was left to my discretion if I wanted to proceed and have the note downgraded to PCGS 58 PPQ

or to leave it in its old holder ......., at 62 OPQ. I chose the former of course.

D

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dimitri, I'm not telling you something new , but I dont like holdered notes or enthombed coins . I just freed a 8R pillar dollar from his plastic capsule.
    Anxious to see the circulated VF 35 Pick 69a.

Bought this aUNC 10 Drachma 1954 recently:

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    size: 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch. I like when Andres adds extra information. Guess that note would be near impossible to find without a fold(s).
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    Thanks Danny.

Here's another detail , the coin pictured on the obverse top side is a Tetradrachma from Ptolemy I, General and bodyguard in Alexander's Army, Ptolemy became King and Pharaoh of Egypt after Alexander's death in 323 BC.

*many greek banknotes show ancient greek coins, try to collect all of these coins too.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    q
  • Options
    Drooling and wiping my chin looking at these spectacular Greek notes.

Jim61

• Options
    Andres ! image

It shouldn't be news to you, that your brand new 1954 10 (new) drachmai, is actually the holy grail of every 20th century Greek collection in grades AU-UNC.

I believe that a PMG 58 EPQ sold for $750 recently at HA.com, a very low amount compared to the $3K-$3.5K that it would have cost in a 63+ holder.

I don't think I've met more than 2-3 old timers, so well informed on the multitude of ancient coins' designs found in so many Greek banknotes.

This information is rarely given by catalogues, and much less descriptions.

Congrats on the 10 Drs, not sure if you also have the blue 20 Drs 1954 yet.

If we put aside my obsession for unc notes, and the third party grading,

you are simply light years ahead of me. image

In fact I wonder why you still buy modern notes instead of the National Bank pre 1927 issues.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    @ your last question - My main focus is currently on Sicilian ancient coins, Alexander the great and the Diadochen (his generals and his bodyguards) tetradrachms

@ yes, I have the 20 Drachma Nea Ekdosis 1954 in very fine 20

I'm bidding right now on a Corianthian stater as pictured on the 10 Drachma Nea Ekdosis 1954 banknote (far left and far right side)

The Akragas eagle (top right) was just bought by a member on CT for $13.000,- , hmm looking for a more affordable one.
    Here are the four coins I currently own.

Athens tetradrachm owl and a bull from a Seleukos I bronze coin.

2 Tetradrachms Alexander as Heracles and his father Philip II as Zeus.
  • Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Definitely in the running for one of the best Greek note designs. Those 1920 circa note designs were stellar...