Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some NEWP's Ancients

I did manage to win a couple of pieces this week, nothing really spectacular but both reasonably rare and pieces I liked just for their design.

I've been wanting one of these Cimmerian pieces as I really like the obverse design with the lions head. This one was unslabbed and went pretty cheap.

CIMMERIAN BOSPORUS. Panticapaeum(?). Ca. 450-350 BC. AR obol (1.03 gm). Facing lion's head / A-?-?-? in quarters of incuse square. HGC 7, --, cf. 36 (triobol) and 46 (hemiobol). Cf. SNG BM Black Sea 844 (Hemidrachm). See CNG E-Auction 84 (2004), lot 12 for another example. Extremely rare and seemingly unrecorded as a denomination with this reverse inscription. Toned Extremely Fine.

I also decided on this early bronze from Sicily, the obverse engraving looks really spectacular to me.

SICILY. Himera. Ca. 415-380 BC. Æ trias (1.27 gm). Head of nymph facing slightly left / *****le shell, three pellets below HGC 2, 482. Rare. Struck from dies of exceptional style. Light green patina. NGC Choice AU 5/5 - 4/5.

Comments