Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Odd Color Signatures on 1935C Silver Cert???

Need some help and opinions on what's going on with the 1935C Silver Certificate - it appears standard in every way except the color of the signatures. They are a rust red/brown like color and there does not appear to be any bleed over the the titles Secretary of the Treasury or Treasurer of the United States.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    You might have something there !!!!

Some of the 1935C's were over printed with brown ink instead of black for the signatures.

I will have to do some digging to find out what blocks were involved and when.

• Options
    Interesting. I haven't heard of that.
  • Options
    Since the note is well circulated, I'm going to say environmental damage.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SmallSizedGuy

• Options
    Originally posted by: golden

I disagree. I disagree enough that I would buy the note above for a fair price, and not look back. I do not know the value of these notes, but I would gladly pay $50 to $75 (and I would not be surprised if that figure is a steal).

See this link.

https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=23&threadid=774338&enterthread=y

• Options
    I have this on circulated notes, but never in high grade.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options

I have this on circulated notes, but never in high grade.

Is it just the 1935C ME's, or do you have the brown signatures on other blocks ?

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckybucks... thanks for the link to prior post. Very interesting. Maybe I should submit for grading as an error note.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larry510
    Interesting. I haven't heard of that.

same here. thats a first for me as well.
  • Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    and just when I thought I knew it all...

I will also admit that this was news to me...

• Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    "Since the note is well circulated, I'm going to say environmental damage."

I agree.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    It seems like it is naturally happening through normal circulation as the other thread quoted above lists numerous other examples. So it would point to the ink used during that specific time having some "defect"? If that's the case, I am not sure I would call that an error or environmental damage...

Perhaps someone has other examples to help draw a conclusion...
  • Options
    I have M33437093E in my collection, and grades CU. It is only 200K from the pictured note. I'll check to see if there a noticeable difference in the ink for the overprint.
    Jim Hodgson

• Options
    I am confident that it is not environmental damage. See the link / bump on another thread related to these notes. Fred Bart mentions these notes.

The big questions regarding these notes are:

A: Are there any other blocks with this problem ?

B: What is the cause of the brown ink ?

I can't wait to hear what Jim's findings are on his CU note. If his note has the brown ink, he could very well have a surprise treasure in his collection.

• Options

I have M33437093E in my collection, and grades CU. It is only 200K from the pictured note. I'll check to see if there a noticeable difference in the ink for the overprint.

I looked at this note last night - no noticeable difference from the LE and NE blocks. Overprint is jet black.

I cannot understand how you can call it an error note when the condition cannot be seen until the note is well circulated.
    Jim Hodgson

• Options
    Jim, do you have any circulated 1935C's in that block range ?

I guess the next thing to look at is if there are any 1935C ME notes from similar ranges, in circulated condition, with normal ink.

If not, what the heck is causing the ink to change color ?????
  • Options
    No circulated notes. I typically wholesale the nice circulated notes and junk box the rest.

Jim Hodgson