Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need some opinions please GRADES POSTED

I know the pictures aren't the best quality but I'm wondering what people here think these would grade at. Backs are clean and the Clemente is a gray back. I've been offered these for purchase and I would like to offer a fair price based on condition. Thanks in advance for your opinion. Added better pictures of a 51 Bowman Mantle also part of the collection.

UPDATE: I picked up the collection tonight and wanted to add some scans of the front and back to get a better opinion of what these might grade at. I'm sending them no matter what but I'm curious to others thoughts.
thanks - Bill

Appreciate today-

Bill

Comments

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it will be very difficult to give any sort of educated opinion unless you can get scans of the cards or at least take the cards from the holders and take direct angled photos of them. Good luck with the purchase. Hope to see better scans/photos of them before the purchase, or at least after. I would say a fair offer would be to take whatever your conservative estimate of the card's grade to be and offer anywhere from 1 to 2 grades lower the value of the card. You would be taking the risk of having the cards graded so you should not have to pay a premium for that. If possible, you could also try to negotiate a conditional purchase whereby the cards must receive some sort of numerical grade, or else you have the option to return the cards.

ETA: I'm looking at your post from my phone and what David posted would be my concern too.
    Steve
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    From the pics provided the cards look very nice, I'd say around 6's possibly 7 for the Clemente.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impossible to tell. If you can get us some direct angle images, we can give you a range of values.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Koufax is either OC or trimmed??
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Clemente 7
    Koufax 6
    Mantle 3
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Hard to see if there are any "hidden" issues because of the glare/angle, but my guess

Clemente 7
    Koufax EOT
    Mantle 1.5
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Koufax is trimmed
  • bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments so far. What is the clue for trimming that I'm missing? The cards all met specs when I measured them.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Definitely need to scan front and back to give an opinion on the first two.

Mantle - bottom right - either paper loss, pin hole or a tear in the card. In accordance with PSA grading standards, won't grade higher than a 2. Without a scan of the card, my guess would be 1 or 1.5. However, I also think it would be a great card to own.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Dan, not everything is trimmed. The Clemente in the holder (which you are comparing it to) isn't touching the bottom of the holder. Plus, if someone was going to trim that, the smart thing would be to trim a card to also make the it look centered - not off centered.

Koufax looks fine but I agree - pictures from above angles would certainly be more helpful. Great cards to own either way.

• goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dnice
    Dan, not everything is trimmed. The Clemente in the holder (which you are comparing it to) isn't touching the bottom of the holder. Plus, if someone was going to trim that, the smart thing would be to trim a card to also make the it look centered - not off centered.

Koufax looks fine but I agree - pictures from above angles would certainly be more helpful. Great cards to own either way.

+1

J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Originally posted by: Dnice

Dan, not everything is trimmed.

Lol, have I ever said another card is trimmed? How did we get from singling out one card to "everything"? Haha. I'm also pretty sure 2 other people said it before me.

In my opinion, if there's that little border on the right, there should be more on the left than what's shown. Of course, none of us have the benefit of measuring it in hand.
    Updated with scans in original post. Thanks for all your input!

Appreciate today-

Bill

• MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Wow, those cards are sharp!

Mantle - 3

Koufax - 6

Clemente - 8

Robinson - 3
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice looking cards for sure. I would be happy with the grades listed below. That Clemente has some nice looking corners. Good luck with the grades and let us know.

Mantle - 1.5 - 2
    Koufax - 6 -7
    Clemente - 7-8
    Robinson - 2
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards!

Mantle - 2 with an outside shot at 2.5

Koufax - 6

Clemente - 6.5

Robinson - 2.5-3
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Mantle - 1
    Koufax - 7 (oc) or 5 or EOT (I would lean toward EOT-that left border is very suspect as it appears concave from the scan)
    Clemente - 7 (pd) or 8 (pd) or 5/6 (print line going across the center of the card - am I the only person that sees that?)
    Robinson - 2
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Mantle 1.5 or 2, the scratch on the right edge
    Koufax 6.5 or 7 with qualifier, 5.5 to 6 without qualifier
    Clemente 7 to 8 beautiful card
    Robinson 3 or 3.5 nice card

Keep us updated on the results.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: yankeeno7

Clemente - 7 (pd) or 8 (pd) or 5/6 (print line going across the center of the card - am I the only person that sees that?)

Aren't they all like that?
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2
    Originally posted by: yankeeno7

Aren't they all like that?

They are, just some more pronounced. If PSA ignores that illusion on the the 56 Clemente, I could see that card pulling a 7-8
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    The line on the Clemente is usual for the 56 Clemente.
    From the scan, the mantle looks to have paper loss on the right edge. If so, it's locked in the 1's.
    Barring any issues not seen on scan, Clemente looks like a 7, Koufax 6, Robinson 2 (assuming all meet size requirements and have not been altered). Good luck!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
    Well the Mantle popped a 2 which I was happy with. The other 3 cards were logged Friday on a 5 day so of course I am checking for poppage multiple times daily.

Appreciate today-

Bill

The rest of the grades posted so for the 4 cards I think I did pretty good. Mantle, Koufax, and Clemente were right where I thought they would be, Jackie was a touch higher.

26202146 GOOD 2 1951 Bowman 253 Mickey Mantle Card
    26393845 GOOD+ 2.5 1948 Leaf 79 Jackie Robinson Card
    26393846 NEAR MINT 7 1955 Topps 123 Sandy Koufax Card
    26393847 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1956 Topps 33 Roberto Clemente Gray Back Card

Appreciate today-

Bill

Here are some scans of the slabbed cards. Very happy to add them to my collection.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Great looking cards and congrats in the grades!

I was gonna say an 8 for the Clemente as it's a beaut. Not sure why so many said EOT or such a low grade for the Koufax, glad to see it get a 7.

And great collection pieces with the Mantle and Robinson!
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the grades. They look sweet in the holders.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job, good looking cards.