Home U.S. Coin Forum

HK-301 Louisiana Purchase SCD

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who would I check with to find the weight of an HK-301 Louisiana Purchase SCD?

Thank you,

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    weigh the one you have and then weigh an HK-303 and compare them, or try to contact jonathanb, he should have the proper weights for the two.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks keets, I pm'd Jonathon and hope that he will answer. If someone could tell me what either weighed if they had one, would be cool.

Again, I appreciate your response.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    I'm at home now and was able to weigh a Bronze HK-303 --- 16.3gr.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've weighted a bunch of HK-301 through HK-304 and the weights were basically identical. They varied more between examples of the same HK number than across different numbers.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Swoger reference on National Commemorative Medals lists HK-301 and HK-303 in the same listing and that they weigh 255 grains.

HK-299 silver is listed at 306.5 grains.

HK-300 and HK-304 gilt/gold-plated are listed in the same listing at 255.5 grains.

HK-302 brass is listed at 255 grains.

Was told by some who know these issues much more than myself that HK-300 and HK-304 are the same thing... is there really a difference between gilt and gold-plated???

Was also told that the HK-301 copper and the HK-303 bronze are also probably the same thing. That if there's any brighter color or red showing, then collectors and the grading services call them copper or HK-301. If they are darker brown color, then they are HK-303 bronze.

Thanks to everyone who replied. My SCD weighs 16.2g and is red/brown in color. The value is moot as I dropped it and now it has a nice rim ding. The worst thing is I don't remember ever dropping it, but it did not have a ding 8 years ago when I purchased it. Been in a safe for the last 6 years or so.

I read an article by Bob Neale in E-sylum re: copper, bronze and brass and it was very informative. It is as follows for anyone interested:

E-sylum

Again, I appreciate the info, but I guess other than the reddish color I don't have a clue as to its metallic makeup. lol

Jim

HK-300 and HK-304 are the same thing... is there really a difference between gilt and gold-plated???

the terms "Gilt" and "Gold Plated" describe different processes, though there's probably no way to differentiate between the two once the Minting/Gilding/Plating process is complete.

HK-301 copper and the HK-303 bronze are also probably the same thing

these are clearly not the same thing. there is a clear history at the Mint of using both Bronze and Copper planchets for striking medals. many SC$'s are struck on Bronze planchets and some are struck on Copper planchets, so it isn't a matter of terminology. I believe both NGC and PCGS would probably have difficulty accurately determining the difference without some sort of destructive analysis, a spectrometer perhaps. what they probably do is assign the HK number based on the submission form and their assessment when they grade the medal(s).
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarifications keets.

I guess I was taking most of my prior statements from what I was told by a grader at one of the major grading services.

Was told that they really don't know the difference between HK-300 and HK-304 and that they usually just go by whatever the person submits them as.

And for the copper/bronze 301/303, was told that the graders just call anything with any red showing a copper 301 and everything else is a bronze 303. But I'm sure that's not a uniform rule used by all graders.

In any event, I really like these medals and most of the so-called dollars that were struck by the US Mint. image

Thanks, keets, for the clarification. While the SCD without the star is more valuable, the star and its rays are what enticed me to the coin in the first place. My terrible photog shows in the following pics of my SCD. HK-whatever

Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file