Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Long Beach show

Who's attending Long Beach? I'll be there Thursday and Friday for sure and possibly Saturday. Will be great to see the PCGS currency booth back in action at the show and doing onsite grading again! Have a few notes to drop off for show grading and the HA auction looks to have a few decent notes that I may place a bid on.

Comments

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there for an afternoon or two (& dropping off/picking up a couple notes for PCGS On-Site grading!) Looking like Thursday for me too.
  • Options
    SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Viewed lots most of today already.
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a new car. Trips are going to limited. Besides, I've never been to a Long Beach show. Wish it was closer to Maryland.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Tootawl

I just bought a new car. Trips are going to limited. Besides, I've never been to a Long Beach show. Wish it was closer to Maryland.

Just like I wish the FUN show was closer to California. image
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there Thursday

Matt
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I was going to be there! ANA was a blast.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit

I wish I was going to be there! ANA was a blast.

Yes it was. Especially when we got our grades back on Friday! image
  • Options
    Amen brother!!! That was fantastic!
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    One day I need to get to a California show......but,maybe I'm just dreaming
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Loved that!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: numbersman

I've been to the LA ANA show and the San Francisco ANA show. I am convinced of 1 thing - California cannot put on a good coin/currency show. Low number of dealers and even less floor traffic.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options

I've been to the LA ANA show and the San Francisco ANA show. I am convinced of 1 thing - California cannot put on a good coin/currency show. Low number of dealers and even less floor traffic.

Long Beach shows bring good business and lots of foot traffic.

• Options

The Anaheim ANA was an ok show and a great location. LB is an excellent show, particularly the September show with the Heritage Currency Auction. SF and LA aren't good samples.

• Options
    Long Beach (unlike most other shows) offers free admission for ALL show days. There are coupons everywhere and to anyone who has ever registered and attended a free admission code is sent out. This really brings in the crowds. The ANA show, Memphis and others all require silly per day admission if you aren't a member or dealer. In addition you can park for only $5 per day at a private lot right across the street from the convention center. Or there are nearby parking meters with a 2 hour time limit that works for someone who just wants to be quick. Big advantage for Long Beach. Much better than the outrageous parking fees at Memphis and what we had to pay at Anaheim for the ANA.

• Options
    First buy at the show:

• Options
    Bam! Home run score!!!
  • Options
    Picked up these two Light Green Seal Stars today (Thanks to Jeff B and Arri J).

Also received some notes back from grading that were dropped off at the Anaheim ANA (Thank you Jason & Laura). Hope to pick up a show special by Saturday.

• Options
    Nice additions Randy! By the way we thought we saw you going up the escalator.

I dropped off some notes with PCGS for onsite grading. Results to be posted on Saturday.

• Options
    Larry, sorry to have missed you. I spent a while at the PCGS Currency table and didn't get to stroll this aisles very much. Did see a few people I knew and got to visit some, which is really the highlight of any show for me anyway. Will be back sometime on Saturday for a quick visit. Maybe we can meet up.
  • Options
    Sounds good Randy. I should be there on Saturday for part of the day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: larry510
    First buy at the show:

Great note! T&P doesn't list any UI block notes in 68!
  • Options
    These are PMG pop 2/0 and newly graded. Forum member Keyguy (Corey) bought the other one yesterday.
  • Options
    Long Beach onsite grading part 1:

$5 1953B LT 69PPQ

$20 1934 Cleveland DGS 68PPQ

$5 1934D SC VA Wide 1 66PPQ

$5 1934D SC VA Narrow 66PPQ

More notes coming back tomorrow.

I am very happy so far. image
  • Options
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the 69PPQ $5LT!

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Larry!!! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Sweet.....things clearly are better on the west coast!
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Looks pdn (pretty darn nice)!
  • Options
    So sexy!!!
  • Options
    A 69...that's a killer note.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options

***Larry, your killing the game, another awesome atomic bomb ... a freaking 69Q on a USN $5

Dude, where are all the 67Q 1953-1953C $5 USN ? answer ... missing and on lock-down

Very under-rated type note that average Joe just can't wake up one day and decide to get one (like 50% of large size notes)
    US small size Federal Reserve Note collector with focus on 1928 to 1950E and main focus on 1934 to 1934D series. $5 to $100 denominations.

kurtisjohnson is my eBay ID

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kurtisjohnson/m.html
  • Options
    Great 69! Very nice.
    I was able to complete all the royal Iraq 1 dinar notes with this one:

And it comes in addition to those.
    imageimage
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    Congrats on your Iraq 1 Dinar completion! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

• Options
    Onsite grading results part II:

$5 1934A SC JA 67PPQ

$5 1934A SC EA 65PPQ

$10 1934C FRN KC Narrow 40PPQ

$10 1934A FRN Dallas star 58PPQ

$100 1934 FRN DGS Cleveland Mule 65PPQ

$1 1899 SC FR 230 67PPQ
  • Options
    One point block upgrade for me:

EA block non mule is TOUGH in gem. Tried several times to make a 65Q or better and failed. This time I finally hit! Can't find any on the market ever.

Before this note, both services had only seen a few well-circulated VF's. Very tough star note here, 1/0 combined.

On Cleveland, there's well over 10:1 ratio of Non-Mules to Mules when you look at the TPG's and auction history. I was excited to see this Mule come back today as Gem 65PPQ! This is just the third certified CU at both services combined, 1/0 at PCGS and 2/0 when you factor in the one 65 at PMG that is out there.

Picked this up "raw" at a coin shop in the middle of nowhere due to the centering being real nice. PCGS seemed to agree with me!

• Options
    Alex, Congratulations on the completion of the Royal Iraq 1 Dinar set.

Larry, nice notes there. That 1899 $1 SC is beautiful.

Got several notes back from grading and was Very pleased.

The highlight was this note, which stands alone as the only CU 1934B San Francisco Star known (or graded).

And, this is a one of only a very few Non-Invert Stars known.

• Options
    Sweet notes Randy! Very rare.

Here's one I picked on the show floor. At first glance I thought it was just another common Pittsburgh, PA note that I see all the time but then noticed it was actually Pittsburg, Kansas and couldn't pass it up:

• Options
    Different spelling; no "H"
  • Options
    Yeah true. I didn't even catch that.
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Randy - incredible 34B*. Well done!

• Options
    berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    There are Pittsburg, Penn. notes too. From 1891 until 1911 the "official" spelling was Pittsburg
    Heritage note.

Or you could get Pittsburg, Texas and a Pittsburg, CA note to complete your collection.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: beryl
    There are Pittsburg, Penn. notes too. From 1891 until 1911 the "official" spelling was Pittsburg
    Heritage note.

Or you could get Pittsburg, Texas and a Pittsburg, CA note to complete your collection.

Interesting; thanks!
  • Options
    Another variation-CH# 9563...Pitsburg,OH.
  • Options
    Hoping for some more show updates!
  • Options
    Here are three that I picked up

• Options
    keyguy, those are 3 very nice looking SCs. Congrats! image

Jim61

• Options
    Corey, great notes. I really liked that 1928A star when I saw it. It actually presents better than the grade. I've seen AU 50-55 notes that didn't look as nice as that!
  • Options
    I agree, stellar pick ups!
  • Options
    Corey, all very nice notes with great eye appeal. The 53B looks undergraded from the scan.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: gnatThe 53B looks undergraded from the scan.

Yes it easily faces up as a 67.