Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Less Is More?...or...Try To Explain Stupid

My wife often tells me not to try to explain stupid and so I'll leave it up to you guys to.....see this ended eBay auction (I was a watcher for it).You'll notice the bids show zero but if you click on that zero you'll see a $250 bid was placed.So,this seller then ends the sale,cancels the $250 bid and then re-lists it here and sells it for.......wait for it.....$225! Okay guys......explain?!?!?!
Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency

Comments

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Simple, that extra $25 would have put him in a higher tax bracket.....NOT.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Were the other two notes he mentioned described anywhere? And was he going to "unglue" the note from the frame? Hmmm. Such a deal.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    What a deal though!
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Great deal for sure but why on earth would the seller cancel a 250 bid to sell it for less? I would guess the seller accepted an offer (albeit a low-ball offer imo) but when he went to end the auction he had to first agree to cancel the higher bid......huh?
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Was it a shill bid that was cancelled at the moment the listing was ending? Maybe trying to entice a watcher to bid quickly?

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the bid was cancelled automatically because it was cancelled exactly when the auction ended. Maybe a blocked bidder situation or cancelled by Ebay automatically for some other reason?

Maybe bidder backed out after the sale because he didn't realize notes were mounted and seller allowed him to cancel the sale or bid?

Seller then relisted at $25 less just to make sure it sold, since only one bidder at $250?
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.