Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

OT... Can you help me with this?

I put this as OT but will connect it to currency to be safe.

I have a question for those who have websites and sell currency or display currency. There it is connected now.

Here is an example (fictitious) of what I am talking about.

You have a website with a domain name say www.buymycrappapermoney.com (made up I hope). You go to the contact page and you see an email address something like these:

butthead@yahoo.com, chief@gmail.com, ceo@aol.com, etc, etc, etc

All have nothing to do with the company domain name. Why???

Why not something like headhoncho@buymycrappapermoney.com??? etc

Why not an email with the company name???

Why are the generic email services being used?

Certainly not to be critical or any other reason, just a open conversation on the why's?

Any and all help appreciated to help me understand this. There has to be reasons. Thanks.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    It's costs a tiny bit more to have an email registered to the website domain name, and/or their existing email is established to the point where there is an unhealthy attachment image
  • Options
    People aren't very technically savvy and rely on older, well understood mail systems rather than configure a domain one. They may have invested in advertising with the older email address and don't want to update for fear of losing customers (though you can certainly run in parallel or use a forwarder)
    I personally use my 1990's AOL email for lots of reasons. But I am not running a business and have multiple emails including for my own domain.
    Recently, when the company I work for was looking for a tech partner, some were rejected out of hand as they had not done their own website. It is much more professional to have the email match the domain, but I realize that running a website might not be a currency dealer's first priority. BTW you can reach me at chunkylover53@aol.com
  • Options
    (that's not really my aol email)
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    BTW you can reach me at chunkylover53@aol.com

• Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Gasp!

I was just about to launch buymycrappapermoney.com! You've besmirched my company's good name image
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    More than likely it's someone that's just barely tech savy enough to get their own website up and running but doesn't want to give up the past. It could be a bit of effort to change from an old email address to something new. They might be afraid of losing some past customers.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    BUMP. No other ideas/reasons before I comment?

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

• Options
    MY contact email is lewdufault@lewdufault.com & the website? www.lewdufault.com

If that doesn't tell you you're talking to the "head honcho" NOTHING will image
    Buying, Selling & collecting for over 30 Years!

I only COLLECT $2.00 FANCY #s but errors, fancy numbers, uncut sheets & autographed currency are my areas of expertise. Always glad to help when I can!
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lews Twos
    MY contact email is lewdufault@lewdufault.com & the website? www.lewdufault.com
    If that doesn't tell you you're talking to the "head honcho" NOTHING will image

If you'd spell it LewDEUXfault everyone would know you specialize in $2's! image

• Options
    Originally posted by: Jim61

BUMP. No other ideas/reasons before I comment?

Grasping at straws... but maybe a dead website that use to have a customer base. Someone hacked it, changed the email address(s) and is now using it under false pretenses?
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    It may be confirmed to receive PayPal/tied into Ebay and other accounts...I remember when we set the family Paypal account up (under my mom's name) it was a hassle to do, and it's one of the reasons I don't have my own under my own name.

It also might be a sign of recognition. I've used the same email address since 2001, people get a message from that address, they know it's me (if it's somebody who is already familiar with me). It's a yahoo address, by the way.

Edit to add: Some mail servers will send emails from a non-recognized major server to spam. An established server like Yahoo or AOL (for example) that is much less likely.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Having the domain name based email may encourage Spam too
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    OK, some thoughts of mine in response to replies - again MHO.

It may cost a little more - not from my experience. When you register a domain name and have it hosted, you get to setup many emails to that domain and have plenty of storage and bandwidth included.

You had an email way before you got a hosted website and people know you by that one - well you can still setup a business one with your new hosted website. Yes you have 2 email addresses now. If you do not like that, setup a forward message on your old one to update everyone to the new one. Yes this may take a little time, but why not. By doing so. it looks more professional.

Not tech savy enough to set it up - I have trouble with this one. If you just got a website up and running and you did it yourself, then you had to learn some basic HTML. This is not the easiest thing to do. So if you can do that, setting up an email is a piece of cake. So if you hired someone to build your website for you, it is nothing for that person to setup an email address.

Maybe a hacked website or something - I find that difficult to believe. Yes it has been done, but not an easy task. Hacking an email account is much easier than hacking a website.

Maybe it is confirmed to a PayPal account - that doesn't matter. You can add other email addresses to your PayPal account. You do not have to setup and confirm a new account if you do not want, just piggyback onto your existing account. I have done that for many years now - no problems. You add a new email and password and you are basically done.

Recognition of old one - keep them both and see above comments.

Spam - most today have spam filters and that has not been a problem with me. BUT you will get spam if you click the unsubscribe button or link on real spam - guaranteed, unless it is from a legit company. Doing the unsubscribe on a junk email notifies the sender it is a good responding email. These are much more valuable when they are sold.

This spam problem will not end with all the bots out there scouring the internet for email addresses - even legit businesses.

Thanks for the incites. I had my own guesses, like didn't know how, didn't want to setup a client side email program, or didn't want to use webmail or didn't know how.

Jim61