Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States

imageimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    me too!

65 if more luster and character then pic shows - otherwise 64 indeed.

Hey Z - you getting really good at this image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: marcmoish

me too!

65 if more luster and character then pic shows - otherwise 64 indeed.

Hey Z - you getting really good at this image

This. I could see 65.

What a fantastic equestrian design in the reverse. I had not seen it before. Reminds me of the Mexican "Caballito" pesos, but I think I like it even a tiny bit more.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Z - you getting really good at this

Thanks Maestro!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see this at 65. The image is taken to highlight color, so hard to judge luster.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely awesome!!!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have looked at a LOT of this type over the past 5-7 years.

This is a lovely eye appealing example, whose eye appeal trumps the technical/numeric grade. It's really hard to guess a grade from a PCGS TrueView -- but given the coloring on the rims and the bit of color on the cheek of the obverse, I'd be around the MS62/63 grade myself. These often/usually come with very satiny luster -- yours looks to fit that bill.

I have seen a handful graded MS66/67, sometimes I find myself scratching my head how they came to that.

The example in my collection is a satiny MS63 -- eventually, I'd like to find an example with a bit more eye appeal than my current coin.

PS -- the detail on the reverse of this coin is (IMO) among the best of 19th Century coinage. The angel/rider detail is amazing, and the artistic composition is just superbly eye appealing and attractive. I adore the 1871 Victory Thalers, but this one is my favorite! image

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know and I'm too lazy to look it up, However, I love it, it's totally cool

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65 - my grandfather was born in Saxony.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That's a lovely example coinkat!
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    A beautiful coin. My guess is MS-64.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely coin, thanks for sharing.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one seemed to be the favorite among those that responded-And given the quality of the image, it really captured the color and overall appearance to a fault. The image makes the case for a GEM grade, however there is some obverse field disturbance that precludes a 65 grade. PCGS graded this one 63. I was thinking 63 shot 64. I suspect a reasonable number survived in MS and this example may just not technically make a higher grade. And that is okay... It is a coin such as this that highlights that the subjective nature of grading may not trump technical factors.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Love this design. Lovely even toning on both sides. I have one that is more vibrant, purchased here on the board ages ago, but much lower grade and the two sides are completely different. Personally I think it's more of an AU62 than an MS58. image I think they whacked it for the cheek rubs.