Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico SUD 1812 1 Reale arrives!

Just arrived is this 1812 Mexico War of Independence Moreales coinage 1 Reale copper. This coin is a hair larger than a dime but thinner with a plain edge. These 1 (and 1/2) Reale pieces are many times more scarce than the 8 Reale coin, which is only slightly smaller than a silver dollar. It seems to me as I understand the use and disbursement of these issues, these were basically intended to pay the armies of insurgents throughout the territory. Many "mints" at different times made coins over a 4 year period. 1812 and 1813 are the most seen dates. I've read that the dies themselves were nothing harder than copper, and frequently "strengthened" or reengraved. All were given laboriously hand cut dentils! [URL=http://s249.photobucket.com/user/ambro51/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsjz0ga65t.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s249.photobucket.com/user/ambro51/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps9xee2zdt.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! image
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are cool............how rare are they and how often do they come up fore sale ??

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seek that info myself! Ill tell you, without eBay collecting an esoteric series like this would be many times more difficult.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ambro51

I seek that info myself! Ill tell you, without eBay collecting an esoteric series like this would be many times more difficult.

One can say that about a number of esoteric specialties. I never would have attempted a date set of Seated Liberty dime love tokens without eBay.

These Mexican coppers are interesting but far too crude and primitive for my personal tastes. I know from your experience in colonial coppers that this sort of thing is right up your alley, though.

Good to see you on the Dark Side. Go see that nice lady at the desk over there and she'll give you a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie while they fit you for your Imperial storm trooper armor and helmet and charge up your blaster rifle.

PS- while we're at it, why don't we get you a new avatar as well? I'm surprised at how many people became a female doctor in surgical scrubs after the forum software change.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PPS- I suppose the coin in the OP would be considered a fairly high grade and/or well struck example of the type?

(Though how anyone grades these, I haven't a clue.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess you grade by surface using the best struck portion of the coin. One large Mexican coin dealer has a good number listed of various silver and copper pieces. The grades they assign seem high to me but then again many did not use dies of a conventional style. These pieces are not too far removed from our own colonial state coin era. Info at least what I can pick up is minimal. The Lyman Low booklet mentioned and linked in a related thread breaks down a hoard of nearly 500 coppers found in 1885 . He gives a good analysis and also reveals only 2 one Reale pieces were included, compared to over 200 two Reale pieces. So they must have a fair degree of rarity but I've yet to see it stated in "R" numbers we can relate too. Yes I am damn pizzed at that stupid nurse icon came about when I messed with my profile on this phone. In thinking of deleting the avatar completely.
  • Options

Yes I am damn pizzed at that stupid nurse icon came about when I messed with my profile on this phone. In thinking of deleting the avatar completely.

Here. If you like, just save one of these to your computer and upload it to your profile.

imageimage

Or better yet... this. image

Go ahead... I dare you. image

• Options
    I like the avatar, ambro51.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Yes I am damn pizzed at that stupid nurse icon came about when I messed with my profile on this phone. In thinking of deleting the avatar completely.

Here. If you like, just save one of these to your computer and upload it to your profile.

imageimage

Or better yet... this. image

Go ahead... I dare you. image

That last one might work for Greg! image