Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opened a box of 1988 Football Cello tonight

Not a single Bo Jackson....is that typical? Unlucky? Searched?

Box was BBCE sealed X-out.

Dennis

Comments

• ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dennis88
    Not a single Bo Jackson....is that typical? Unlucky? Searched?

Box was BBCE sealed X-out.

Dennis

Hey Dennis. 80's football, right up my alley. I like you alreadyimage I am an unopened guy, so we could lay off the "opening" part. LOL Actually, the last box I opened was a 88 cello x-out box "from a sealed case".

You may or may not know this, but there is no "typical" when it comes to x-out boxes. Just a quick explanation of x-out. These are packs/boxes bought back by Topps back in the day when they didnt sell in stores. By the very definition, they are Frankenstein boxes.... more than likely. It is possible that an x-out box is completely original, but dont bet the farm on it. You may know all this so I wont go on.

But as an example, the box I bought from a trusted member here yeilded (if memory serves) 1 Jackson and 5 Testaverdes. Definitely not the normal distribution for a 1988 cello box.

Long story short, an x-out box (from a trusted source) only guarantees authentic packs, not boxes. You very well could get 0 of one player and 7 of another, for example. The sequence is very likely out of order in these boxes. The ultimate crap shoot if you will.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Great points. All alluding to why FASC boxes command the premiums they do.
  • VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭
    And this is why unopened collectors keep them unopened
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VintagemanEd
    And this is why unopened collectors keep them unopened

It will take time for the OP's emotional and financial scars to heal.
  • VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭
    It can that's for sure! We need a support group on here. It could be called "if your bust was a bust support group"
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doleman and Greene HOF rc's can be decent hits in 88 Topps also
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I bought a partial cello box of around 20 cello packs about 6 years ago and opened probably ten packs and hit 4 Bo jacksons. None were grade worthy though.
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrNearMint
    I bought a partial cello box of around 20 cello packs about 6 years ago and opened probably ten packs and hit 4 Bo jacksons. None were grade worthy though.

I opened 3 wax boxes a couple years ago, got four Bo's total. And as it relates to the OP's question I was still 8 cards short of a full set. That's how short I usually am after three wax boxes of baseball from the same era with a set twice the size.
  • BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Welcome to mid to late 80's Topps collation. Of course could have been a franken box but I remember busting a case of 86 T baseball racks and I got ZERO Vince Coleman rookies. I did get 9 Doc Goodens though so that helped make up for it I guess. Fleer was always the best. I had multiple boxes with zero dupes in the 80s.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I bought a cello box off of eBay a little over a year ago of 88 Topps which wasn't BBCE verified or anything special nor was it an Xed out box. It had 2 cellos with Bo Jackson on top of them which surprised the hell out of me. The box is waiting for my 2 1/2 year old son and myself in a few years from now to crack open all the packs.