Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Seeking advice from Mickey Mantle collectors

I am looking to buy a nice gift for my father this Christmas and wanted to get a head start on the search. Looking to purchase a PSA Mantle, 1956 or earlier. Can anyone offer recommendations? Hoping to stay under 5k. Thanks, Joe
Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    While my MICK collection consists of low graded cards (that I think present better than the grades), I will make the following suggestion:

1953 in a 5 and a

1956 in a 6.

You should be able to get nicely centered cards and still have money left over.

Best of luck and show us what you decide to buy.

Edited to add: You could also add a '54 Red Heart in a 6 or a 7 (a card that I think is real nice looking) and still keep it under 5K.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Buying Group does not support any purchases that are not intended to manipulate pricing.

I like the 56 in a 6 idea, could be really difficult to find a 53 with a nice red corner in a 5 before Christmas.
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    Remember what we said in last weeks BG meeting?

The next focus will be on the '57 Mantle #95, so just steer clear of that one.

Or if you must, just ensure your documented sale of a 7 surpasses your $5k budget.

Just reimburse yourself the difference out of the petty cash drawer.

-Member #10,138

"Remember, there is no 'I' in Group"
  • Options
    You guys are killing me. Thanks for the tips.
    Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    In all seriousness, I would stick to a selection within the 50's.

The obvious. At the moment and still surprising, one can still land a solid '51b in a 1 or perhaps a 2 for around that budget.

If mainstream is his sorta thing, the 53b (in a 7) and 57t (in a 7-8) are great action shots of the Mick.

If he's more of a headshot kinda guy, go with a nicely centered 58 or 59t. Might still be able to get a 7 in these years.

If he's more of an under-the-radar kind of guy, I would echo Doug's sentiments and roll with the Redheart, as the design is simply gorgeous. Or maybe even consider an OK Today. That's a cool looking card, imo. Simple design, somewhat obscure and from the ol' home state.

But youve got til Dec. and when it comes to Mantle cards, you have to be patient for your eye appeal but if your gut tells you to jump on it, do it. Competition is fierce. And nicely centered cards with even a somewhat decent price tag get gobbled up instantly. Heartbreak can come in mere seconds.

And last but not least, if he's a display kinda guy, consider looking at lower graded centered examples and roll with a 53 - 59t run or something vs the one and done thing.

Whichever way you roll, stick with a selection that has good eye appeal vs. the sticker. And if you happen to stumble across a '53 Yamakatsu, stop what youre doing and call me immediately.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SpinFadeSplash23

I am looking to buy a nice gift for my father this Christmas and wanted to get a head start on the search. Looking to purchase a PSA Mantle, 1956 or earlier. Can anyone offer recommendations? Hoping to stay under 5k. Thanks, Joe

First I want to say I hope all 5 of my kids grow up to be just like you. Second, the first rule of the Modern Sports Card Buying Syndicate is don't talk about the Modern Sports Card Buying Syndicate!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    56 Mantle in a 6 can be had for $2000-2500 and a 7 for $3000-3500. Finding a nice 53 Mantle in a 5/6 with a solid lower red corner is very difficult, but it is a beautiful card.

1958 and 1959 in a 7 can both be had for $2000-2500 and would be nice examples - going to an 8 puts you up in the $4000-5000 range.

Good luck with your search and I echo the sentiments of hope my kids get me Mantle cards when I get older!

KC
  • Options
    Haha, thanks for the kind words and great advice. My Dad is so frugal, he'll spend an hour clipping coupons to save $6. Over time, I've come to appreciate his lifestyle and the benefits of living below your means. It is a great lesson for everyone. I guess I want to see if I can "WOW" my Dad with something awesome that he would never buy for himself. Sort of how he would do for me when I was a kid and buy me wrestling figures or a bicycle. Role reversal time!
    Joe

• Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Hard to beat the image on a 54 Dan-Dee and could be had for less than 5k in nice condition.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Since he's not a hardcore collector..id go with the 53 (even if he wasn't) due to popularity, def the beauty, and affordability....youd get a beat up 52 for that $....plus its kind of a big card that presents well if he put it on his mantle or table to look at....(and also potential for value increase)

spread them out to a child or a wife and i bet their eye goes to the 53.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    I think the days of picking up a '52 for $5K are behind us.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I like the Dan Dee as well. Good luck!

aconte
  • Options
    You are a great son. As others mentioned a 53 with a nice red corner in a 5 will be expensive. I've been looking for the right one for probably a year now. I'm particular and they almost all seen to have a chewed off corner and for some reason that corner seems to flow through the rest of the card. Maybe because it's red. Anyway you won't get a 52 for 5k. Disregard that post.

Only buy graded too. I think you already know that but just thought I would mention it. Good luck! You have time but if you are picky like me, when you see the right one jump on it or someone else will.
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Hiya Joe,

Thanks for honoring us with such a question for your beautiful quest to gift your dear father a Mickey Mantle.

The choices you've received are all very good. I guess I'm wondering which Mick would most "floor him", based upon his age and what he collected as a kid. Great as the Dan-Dee and Red Hearts are, he might be unfamiliar with them.

The card with the most pizazz would likely be the 1956 Topps. Given all the characteristics of that gorgeous card, my choice would be that one. Going with Topps might get him a card he once owned as a kid a long time ago.... Or one that he saw an older boy own a long time ago, but wish he owned. There's a lot to be said for a card with those kind of memories and associations.

The 1953 Topps and Bowman are fabulous cards all day long. However, the '56's dual portrait - action photo has more eye candy, and you will probably be able to select a higher grade with your working budget, than the '53 Topps / Bowman choices, which at this moment are worth more money.

I think if you can get a reasonably centered 1956 Topps PSA 6 that's got vibrant colors and exceptional picture clarity, without any noticeable print spots, especially on Mickey's face and cap, you will do well, even if it costs most of your budget. With this kind of card in an EX-MT grade, any self-respecting kid collector's eyes would have bulged out at the sight of pulling that baby out of a wax pack in the spring of '56!

You're a wonderful, respectful son. A brotherly hug to you, and a wish you get what you're gunning for.

Cheers, bro! ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SpinFadeSplash23
    Haha, thanks for the kind words and great advice. My Dad is so frugal, he'll spend an hour clipping coupons to save $6. Over time, I've come to appreciate his lifestyle and the benefits of living below your means. It is a great lesson for everyone. I guess I want to see if I can "WOW" my Dad with something awesome that he would never buy for himself. Sort of how he would do for me when I was a kid and buy me wrestling figures or a bicycle. Role reversal time!

Honestly I think most of the old timers are just better with their money and in general don't spend what they don't have.

I bought my Dad an upscale bottle of Crown Royal that was about $120 and while he liked it he said next time just buy the reg Crown Royal. lol

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: seebelow

....plus its kind of a big card that presents well if he put it on his mantle or table to look at....

You just said put his Mantle on his mantle.

i would agree with the 53 or the 56 Topps. My preference would be the 53. I love that card. Hope to own one one day. The 56, although a beauty as well, is not one of my favorites. Other favorites definitely include the 59, 60 and 61. I, along with most of the collecting world, also love the 51 B. You could get a low grade version of that card with your budget.

I guess it comes down to what card would mean the most to you and your dad. The Mantle from his birth year (if he was born between 51-69). If not, then maybe the Mantle from his HS graduation year, or the year he got married, or the year you were born.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ugaskidawg
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    ....plus its kind of a big card that presents well if he put it on his mantle or table to look at....

You just said put his Mantle on his mantle.

i would agree with the 53 or the 56 Topps. My preference would be the 53. I love that card. Hope to own one one day. The 56, although a beauty as well, is not one of my favorites. Other favorites definitely include the 59, 60 and 61. I, along with most of the collecting world, also love the 51 B. You could get a low grade version of that card with your budget.

I guess it comes down to what card would mean the most to you and your dad. The Mantle from his birth year (if he was born between 51-69). If not, then maybe the Mantle from his HS graduation year, or the year he got married, or the year you were born.

I agree on the 53 if you can afford it with the 56 second. Either card has great eye appeal.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta go with either
    Nicest 1953 Topps
    or 1951 Bowman

Cant go wrong with these 2 all day long.

Or get both in lower grades

Like PSA 4 1953 Topps and a PSA 2 1951 Bowman
  • Options
    Guys, the reason I recommended the 56T over the 53T or Bowman is because the price of the earliest of the early Mickey Mantles has spiked in the past 2 years to such an extent that Joe may not be able to get much of a nice card for $5K. Remember, his father is not a collector, and his standards of what a nice card looks like, condition-wise, would likely be more prone to only being really impressed with a high mid-grade card. I agree there are some outstanding EX 5s in either of the 53s, but I just figured the cost has become too exorbitant to find one that's still fresh-looking. The chances of getting a great-looking 1956 Topps, given his budget, are much better. Hey, we all love the 53s, but the price tag ....

Any more information or thoughts on your Dad, Joe? We need more on him to go on. How old is he? When did he begin collecting? Am I to assume Mickey was his favorite player growing up? Did he prefer Topps or Bowman? Did he ever mention a year of card that he particularly liked? Or, one that he wanted badly as a kid, but never got?

Best regards, Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: muffins
    . And if you happen to stumble across a '53 Yamakatsu, stop what youre doing and call me immediately.

Best of luck!

Yeah, I remember the one that Brockel & Luckey had in their Fall auction last year.
    I had my bids ready for it, but couldn't justify paying that much.
    I knew it was gonna go high, but realize now 8k was a good deal.
    http://brockelmanauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=6647

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    That 1953 Yamakatsu is a honey. I'd forgotten how beautiful it was. Mick looks so cool in his 6 jersey. No wonder you said, "And if you happen to stumble across a '53 Yamakatsu, stop what you're doing and call me immediately." I concur that the 8K winning bid was an expensive bargain that has done nothing but appreciate in the ensuing months since its auction. I'll never own it, but thanks for uploading the image nonetheless, as well as the anxious plea for help to land one. The sentiment underscores one of the facets I presented in my book on postwar regionals, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

PS Still waiting to hear from Joe about the questions I asked regarding his father. Hence, not trying to help hy-jack this thread! You get us Mantle Maniacs going, it's hard to stop.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: IndianaJones
    Guys, the reason I recommended the 56T over the 53T or Bowman is because the price of the earliest of the early Mickey Mantles has spiked in the past 2 years to such an extent that Joe may not be able to get much of a nice card for $5K. Remember, his father is not a collector, and his standards of what a nice card looks like, condition-wise, would likely be more prone to only being really impressed with a high mid-grade card. I agree there are some outstanding EX 5s in either of the 53s, but I just figured the cost has become too exorbitant to find one that's still fresh-looking. The chances of getting a great-looking 1956 Topps, given his budget, are much better. Hey, we all love the 53s, but the price tag ....

Any more information or thoughts on your Dad, Joe? We need more on him to go on. How old is he? When did he begin collecting? Am I to assume Mickey was his favorite player growing up? Did he prefer Topps or Bowman? Did he ever mention a year of card that he particularly liked? Or, one that he wanted badly as a kid, but never got?

Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to assist me in my quest to shock my Dad, which has never been an easy thing. My father grew up in New York and attended a few Yankee games as a kid. His father, my grandfather, is a retired New York Police Detective who had some dealings with the Yankees. As a kid, my Dad loved hockey and baseball - hockey being #1 and baseball being #2. Two years ago, I got him a few really nice PSA GAG Line Ranger Cards and he loved them. My Dad is my hero and I am always comparing myself to him in how I live my life. Because of my grandfather's dedication (and obsession) with his job, I think my Dad didn't have a close connection with him growing up. As a kid, he made sure to have it with me - tossing the ball, feeding me rebounds on missed FT's, doing all the things a Dad should do with a kid - and I want to keep that connection strong forever. He was born in 1955 and is a proud, not obnoxious, New Yorker.

After all of the reading and advice, I have zeroed in on two cards - 1951 Bowman and 1956 Topps. The 56 is just gorgeous and it would match the theme of the first card he ever bought me as a kid - a 1956 Topps Ted Williams from a flea market. I just had it graded and it looks amazing for a PSA 4.

So to all of you Mantle collectors - let's try and not bid on any 56s for a few months!!!!

Joe

• Options
    Wow, Joe, thanks for the touching family history. Among the tough things about getting a Mickey Mantle card is narrowing it down---so many great cards. For many years, the sheer has always been a factor. Going with a PSA-graded card is a good idea. The other two grading companies are excellent, but PSA is the right one for a Topps gem. So happy your Dad raised you with what he yearned for in a father. Reflecting on your quest merely underscores how well your Dad did. A proud New Yorker can be very cool indeed. Picking a '56 Mick to go with the Ted Williams also makes your selection a good one. They're both impressive, stunning designs. Here's wishing you the very, very best in your quest to land that '56 Mickey Mantle. I hope you're able to get the '51 Bowman one day. I never did get that one, but always loved it.

It's neither here nor there, but I was born the year before your Dad, and also came to love, of the four major sports, baseball and hockey. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago.

• Options
    Would anyone be so kind to offer any opinion on this card? Is it a nice looking PSA 4, for this issue? Just trying to learn. Thanks, Joe

Joe

• Options
    While it's a nice looking card, that L/R centering would bother me. However, on this particular card you would have to pay a large premium if you want a nicely centered card.

Edited to add: It's already over your budget and there is still a day left. Going to have to add the PWCC premium to this one.

Best of luck with your decision. Very anxious to see what dad is going to get. I'm sure he will be excited no matter which card you choose.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Nice focused image and color. Centering is okay and there is one light roller mark at his shoulder.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: thesouthdoesitagain

And there she is! Not too many really know about it.

So obscure that i havent even seen so much as even a reprinted version of it.

Says a lot being a Mantle card and all.

I only know of 2 other sales.

One was private and commanded a hefty, hefty price.
  • Options
    Joe ... that '51 auction has ended. Is that dad's gift?????
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Haha, it is not. I didn't pull the trigger for a few reasons. I just saw too many different flaws to justify going over my budget. Roller mark, nearly rounded upper right, off-center and what appears to be at least one stain/discoloration on the back. The hunt goes on.
    Joe

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Just some advice re: the '51 Mantle mentioned above, and I am neither buyer nor seller of that card -- it's an outstanding example at the VGEX level, and if it were better centered, you'd have to figure on paying even more for it. None of the flaws you mentioned are unacceptable at that grade level, and frankly, many at that grade level look far worse. If you really want a '51 Bowman, you'll need to be prepared for something with a great many more flaws to hit your budget range, and if you want something absent of all the flaws you mention above, the price you're looking at is going to be multiples more.

Biggest flaw to avoid in a '51 Bowman Mick is off-centered printing resulting in a blurred image. Centering will always vary, and premium centering will mean a premium price. Roller marks on it are very common -- mine has them, but fortunately not into his face, so I am pleased by the overall appearance. As far as wax stains on back, rounding, creasing -- that's all to taste, but the less those flaws are present, the larger your budget will have to grow.

You will encounter a similar weighing of quality vs. price in finding a '56 Mick to your standards -- good luck. image
  • Options
    I WROTE THIS BEFORE I NOTICED YOU HAD ALREADY MADE YOUR DECISION. OH WELL; REALLY IT'S INCONSEQUENTIAL AND JUST MY OPINIONS:

Hi Joe. Honestly, I do not care for this '51 Bowman Mantle because of the white print dot on the bill of Mick's cap and the roller mark at his shoulder that reaches up to the corner of his mouth, and finally the dot to the left of Mick's face. In each of these three instances, the defects are either on or near Mickey's face, so whenever your Dad looks at the card, there they are. However, I am not your Dad. The little defects may not bother him one bit. Even if he noticed them, he probably wouldn't say anything to you about them. You asked for opinions, so that's mine. I mean, the card is beautiful, but those pesky print defects are right on or near his head, and for me that's a downer.

Since it will be over your proposed budget, there's still time to reconsider. However, if deep down you want the Mantle rookie, this specimen is a beaute. As someone noted, the crisp picture registry and the colors are right on.

Wishing you well, bro. Best regards, Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    If that is nice 4, then maybe I need to focus on a lower grade or shift back to the 56 Mantle to stay within budget. I didn't even notice some of the flaws mentioned. More than likely, my Dad would just be thrilled with the card no matter what condition (short of massive paper loss) it was. But I'd like to get a quality specimen, if possible.

Thank you so much for everyone's opinions - Brian, Original, Doug and JMB.
    Joe

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    No worries Spin -- just that with a '51 Bowman Mick, finding one in grade "X" but without all the various flaws that are really OK for the grade, would be a pricey endeavor! I think you can for sure find a quality specimen, but it will take some hunting. When you do find a 1.5, or a 2, 3, 4 or whatever grade, if it is really "very nice" compared to other specimens in the same grade, you'll probably have a seller that realizes it too.

Also, there are different strokes for different folks. I would rather have a PSA 5 of a given card, that has nice overall touches of wear, etc. but is very solid, vs a 5 that really is a "9" from the front, but has noticeable paper loss, or a bad wrinkle or crease on the back. Others might feel just the opposite.

Best of luck with your search!
  • Options
    Then maybe a nice '56 sitting in a PSA "7" for $3K would be nice for dad.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Joe ... don't forget to show us what you eventually buy for dad!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug