Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What do you think ?

Why is their such a great variation in price of cards graded the same by PSA sold on EBay by sellers with excellent feedback.

My example, Johnny Unitas rookie card graded PSA 8 sold on June 23 2016 for $25,410 on EBay. Same Johnny Unitas rookie card PSA 8 buy now price $17,500 and not selling.

Only thing I can think of is their was a buyer in June and no buyers in August.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of cards seem to be coming back down to earth. My guess is the buying groups seem to be sticking with 9's and 10's now. To many 8's.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Could it have been shilled during the first sale?
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do I think?

It takes a big dog to weigh a ton.
  • Oh my god, "the buying group." Ugh.
  • muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    "Sell at a loss group" has now taken over!
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I joined the "eye appeal" group. And immediately got asked out on a date.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the good old days when guys tried to see how many they could stuff into a telephone booth?
    Mike
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Just because a collector doesn't post photos or brag about what they buy on forums doesn't mean a masked group of "investors" are buying high end cards and locking them in a vault somewhere. That's silly. Maybe more and more people are starting to collect and see the value, like myself. I've spent a very good amount in the last 5 years. That's all I'll say. Before the 5 years I didn't think of buying a card for 20 years. Now slowly my peers are following suit, including my bro who is also back into it.

Just think of all those people out there with plenty of money to spend, yet 30 years ago were the kid dealers and shops took advantage of can now buy whatever the f they want, when they want it at the price they dictate.

I was one of them, come in with a card "worth" $50 but they give you $25 in "trade" that really only costs them $15. Now you can sell the card for $50, take your money and buy what you want. Or even better, get it graded and potentially multiply its value.

THATS who is buying the cards, not a phantom buying group.
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Mickey Mays

Why is their such a great variation in price of cards graded the same by PSA sold on EBay by sellers with excellent feedback.

My example, Johnny Unitas rookie card graded PSA 8 sold on June 23 2016 for $25,410 on EBay. Same Johnny Unitas rookie card PSA 8 buy now price $17,500 and not selling.

Only thing I can think of is their was a buyer in June and no buyers in August.

Thoughts ?

You have to look at the auction. a***t won this, but has 70 retractions. Major blowhard. Only one other bidder (g***c), who appears to have vanquished his 20 retractions from his history.

Next legit bidder is at $15K +/-. That's the number you should look at.

These guys think they're the smartest in the room. But in reality, they're looking for buyers dumber than they are.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    "These guys think they're the smartest in the room. But in reality, they're looking for buyers dumber than they are. "

----You hit the nail on the head
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Still wish I would have bought this one or better yet, this one!
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mb2005
    Still wish I would have bought this one or better yet, this one!

I bought the $2,750 one but unfortunately sold before the boom!