Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Fleer Basketball Box (BBCE) on Ebay

This box seems inexpensive compared to recent auction results, any ideas ?

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but the labeling of 36 wax packs leads me to believe that it may not have the sticker collation.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    OK so probably a put together box, thanks !
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankenbox

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankenstein for this year should carry far lower value for obvious reasons.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Sorry for the potentially dumb question but I'm not very experienced with wax. Why is this not a good box? It's sealed and has the labeling on the bottom. Just trying to learn. Man what a great box this would be to rip assuming it was legit!!
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    The box has the correct sticker collation, otherwise it wouldn't be wrapped by Steve. The problem with the box is that the packs while they present the correct collation are not believed to be original to the box based on the wrapping patterns on the packs themselves. A premium is placed on a box that has the correct collation and has packs that are original to the box. In these instances Steve will draft a letter saying that the collation is correct along with an opinion that the packs are original to the box.

Hope this helps!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MantleFan23

The box has the correct sticker collation, otherwise it wouldn't be wrapped by Steve. The problem with the box is that the packs while they present the correct collation are not believed to be original to the box based on the wrapping patterns on the packs themselves. A premium is placed on a box that has the correct collation and has packs that are original to the box. In these instances Steve will draft a letter saying that the collation is correct along with an opinion that the packs are original to the box.

Hope this helps!

Jeremy

Hiya Jeremy

I'm clueless. How do you determine it has the correct sticker collation? Thanx.

edit: was a dumb question.

I was thinking of sticker "numbering" (as collation) - not the amount of stickers. I guess you look at each pack and insure you can find an "optimal" amount of packs with stickers.

Mike
  • Options
    In this case,it's the right breakdown of the stickers on the back of the packs.It should be 3 stickers of each in the set,with one extra of a few.
    Pocket change can buy more than a soda.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stickers are on the bottom of the packs. You can see what sticker is in each pack. A factory box should have 3 complete sticker sets plus 3 additional stickers. Actually, I think Jeremy is mistaken in thinking Steve wouldn't wrap the box unless the collation was correct with 3 complete sticker sets showing. On these boxes, if the packs look good but the sticker collation is not correct, Steve will make the label as 36 packs.

James
  • Options
    JFK is correct. 36 wax pack box is just 36 packs. its just 36 random 86 fleer basketball packs put in an 86 fleer box. You could very easily have zero jordans in this box. Anybody who knows the correct sequencing could have taken out the possible hit packs based on who's on front of a pack. I could buy 1 pack at a time off eBay, finally get 36 packs and buy an 86 fleer box and steve would label it as 36 packs. Thats why he purposely labels it 36 wax packs and not a Wax Box. Also, the letters are a new thing. He just started issuing those over the last year as prices have gotten so high and I'm assuming both buyer and seller would like a more thorough verification/description as to why its a real unsearched wax box.
    Getting back into the hobby after 25 years, looking for high grade cards and unopened wax boxes
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly Steve had this box (or a similar one) on his website for sale approximately a year ago. He had noted on the bottom of the box "36 wax pack box" and in the item description had noted that while the box had the correct sticker collation, it did not appear that the packs were all original to the box and that is why he wrapped it that way.

Jeremy
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.

My day is done.

I learned something. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. If this is not a true factory collated box, one why would Steve wrap it and two wouldn't it make the box essentially worthless. My argument is there is a good chance you could get zero Jordans.
  • Options
    hmmm Interesting
  • Options
    I think most people buy these boxes and packs for the Jordan so if the possibility exists that you could get no Jordan why would you buy it ? I suppose PSA gradables would be a motivation but not at these prices.
  • Options
    Awesome guys! Learn something new every day. Thank you so much for the explanation. Good to know how to read those labels moving forward.